Author's Chapter Notes:
Kitty has a choice to make. Rogue has manipulating to do.
Reminder: a Sneak is to a wild wolverine like a Pack to a wolf, a pride to a lion

A/N: So, grr. Magister was only supposed to be a one shot. However, it looks like Kitty’s got more than that to learn, and Rogue should learn not to make plans for Logan. He really doesn’t like it.
Oh gods, but this was pathetic, Rogue mused. Surely, she had only been half as sappy when Logan first left? Well, the girl conceded, she’d also had Victoria and Jackson and later, Piotr to keep her head from exploding. Katherine Elaine Pryde, however, did not.
Nope, that girl was mooning over Colossus, her long ago crush on Iceman and infatuation with Cyclops dropped by the wayside in the wake of Piotr rescuing a group of them from a pervert simply by growling a threat at him.

Now, that, Rogue admitted to herself, if somewhat smugly, was something her mate had taught the Russian farm boy turned student cum operative. Well, he and his nephew. Jackson had been here longer than Logan.

James Logan Howlett. The Wolverine. Her mate, but not
her lover. Yet.

Shaking her head to rid herself of those thoughts, she approached Kitty, saying quietly

“I think we need to talk.” Kitty’s eyes were wide as saucers, and she meekly submitted to the blooded X-man in front of her. Striding away, Rogue listened as Kitty followed, considered the words that needed to be said. Because there were words, there were actions, and then there was listening.

The last was what she needed from Kitty today, just as Victoria had needed it from her. Despite the ache in her chest at the thought of her mentor, Rogue was confident she could handle this. After all, this was just the road she’d walked, not so long ago. Was still walking it in some ways.

“Since I’m a low grade combat telepath, I haven’t scanned your mind, but you should start training if you want Piotr to take you seriously.” Pausing, seeing that Kitty was staring at her incredulously, Rogue added indifferently

“Not that I really care if you’re infatuated with a member of my Sneak, but if you want a man like that to love you, you have a lot of hard work ahead of you. Victoria taught the beginnings of telepathy, yes, but that was about control.” Rogue forced herself to stare down Kitty. She really wasn’t a bad kid, but this was serious.

“I can train you. We’ll have to go to Victoria for assessment, but I should be able to get you started on the more serious things. Piotr is leaving soon to take a post with Logan’s unit, so having someone to patrol with me would be a blessing.”

MAGISTER

Kitty considered all this. What did she feel for Piotr? Was he worth changing herself for?
When she voiced this to Rogue, the other girl shrugged, before explaining

“When I asked Victoria the same question, she told me I had a choice. I could become the best woman, the best mutant, I could be, so I could be trusted to take care of myself, or I could be the weakness, the liability, the kid that Logan saw me as, then.”

When Kitty asked why Rogue chose that, to be hardened, she shrugged again, her voice a little absent when she said

“I wanted Logan even then. I wanted to control my skin so I could fuck his brains out. She said she could teach me the way she’d been taught, the way she knew best, before I came to Xaviers’, or she could teach me the ‘pure’ way.” Eyes clearer, Rogue shook her head and said with conviction

“Purity is wasted on me. If I ever wanted a chance with Logan, I knew, I had to understand combat intimately. Just my luck my teacher knew what I needed to know.” When Kitty would have spoken, Rogue overrode her

“Piotr chose to train as a soldier because that is what his strength is best for. If you want to be anything resembling good for him, you’ll endeavour to understand his choices, Katherine. Maybe you won’t train as a combatant, but you should. If only so that you aren’t cold comfort beside him when he has nightmares or a panic attack. And he will. Combat is brutal, bloody and all around terrifying. Think on it, we’ll head for the Sanctuary over break if you really want to do this.”
With those harsh, wise words, Rogue slipped away, on silent feet with a feline grace that Kitty had no doubt came from her training.

MAGISTER

Even as she slipped away from Kitty, she pulled out a cellphone, a smirk nearly blooming across her face as she picked up on the fact Jean was close enough to hear this call. So was Scott, and the Professor.

Keeping in mind her voice should be modulated in the unaccented tones Victoria had instructed her to use on any traceable device, she waited for Logan to pick up before beginning

“Logan? Mmm, yes, I’m well, better, actually, since I didn’t have to leave a message. Anyway, looks like I’ll be spending spring break at Victoria’s, Kitty wants to learn some of her skillset, and I could use a break from the monotony. No, you don’t need to drop everything, but if we could get an escort- maybe Deadpool or Gambit, if they aren’t busy?- I’d appreciate it. I mean, I got the car and all, but I always feel so much better with a Commando escort. Mhmm, I will do. Right. You too.” Signing off, she swung her hips in glee as she walked past the dining hall, half forgetting the men inside had not only heard her side of the conversation, but could see her ass as she walked away, almost quivering with glee.

She’d get to see her mate for spring break, as he would undoubtedly assign himself and Piotr to escort duty, and she’d get to visit one of the few friends who saw all of her without flinching. Victoria already knew they were coming, as she’d predicted it months ago, and Jackson had promised to pass the message on when he heard Logan on the phone with her. Would, Rogue wondered, Logan and Jack agree the Commandoes needed another break, integrating Kitty into the training, as they’d done with her?

That would be nice, especially if she get Kitty just a bit more than physically fit. She could train her ass off against the others without looking like an idiot. Hmm. Maybe she could convince Logan that consummation was a good idea. Or… if she waited till summer break, she could leave the team, drag his ass to one of the other sanctuaries and fuck his brains out before propositioning Fury about working with Vic in an all-female unit. Raising her brows at herself, Rogue decided that had definite possibilities.

Happy now, she headed for the shower. Perhaps she would have to make due with fantasies for a few more months, but she was sure it would be more than well worth it.
Chapter End Notes:
Extra Special news: I have begun a newsletter for my fanfiction (yes, kind of ridiculous, but do I care?) which includes a Rogan section with an appropriate banner. To find out what I’m up to in the world of fandom, send an email to amaranthastormheart@gmail.com, I don’t care if it’s blank, and my minions will send you your copy of the September newsletter.