Story Notes:
THIS IS THE FIC I WAS TALKING ABOUT. IT INTRODUCES VICTORIA CREED RUSSELL, THE ‘SCHEHERAZADE’ MENTIONED IN REVELATION. SHE IS THE DAUGHTER OF VICTOR CREED/SABRETOOTH, SISTER OF LOGAN/WOLVERINE, AND MATE OF JACK RUSSELL/WEREWOLF BY NIGHT. SHE IS A COMBAT TELEPATH PUSHING A HUNDRED, AND AN ORIGINAL CHARACTER.
‘Any kind of love, kitten, is made of pleasure, pain and sacrifice. An equal, or requited love is two parts of each. No relationship is kittens and rainbows, but there are the odd few inherently more precious.’

The words of a woman who looked oddly like Logan- perhaps her hair was a little darker, her eyes a little lighter- and the sense of other, feline. Jean was caught up in the telepathic markers in Rogue’s mind.

Rogue had made the decision to take her place, and the
woman- Victoria Creed- had ensured that her decision would be taken seriously.

Logan looked stunned, a little angry. Bobby and the others were freaked out. Rogue was unconsciously transmitting more memories, holding them in place as she went through with Jean’s plan.

‘You’ve heard of Scheherazade, yes? Good. The Queen Scheherazade, as she has been called, was one of several virgins the king of Persia took to bed. The first queen had been unfaithful, so the king executed her and took a succession of virgins to his bed, killing them come dawn. Scheherazade, an advisors daughter, agreed to a night in the kings’ bed against her fathers’ wishes. Being a learned woman, when the time came, she told him story after story, always stopping halfway through at dawn, and because she fascinated him with those tales, he held off killing her until he fell in love with her. However, the title of Scheherazade, passed down through my mothers’ family from the same, means something a little different. Use your cunning, everything you are, to protect what you hold dear, kitten. Then, whether I am there to say it, you are Scheherazade.’

Rogue chuckled humourlessly, unaware her thoughts were being fed into the minds of her people.

‘Victoria, I know you never meant for me to be Scheherazade in any way for another decade, but it is worth it. Xavier’s and her people have given me time to recover my equilibrium, to learn and extend my trust. Logan…he’s given me more than I ever hoped for, after leaving that place that was my home once. Safety, care, and as you said once, love of any kind is pleasure, pain and sacrifice, all of which I saw atop Liberty. Maybe the others misinterpret the way I see him. So be it.’

Exhalation.

‘What was it you said to me? “Break my bones, shatter my heart, rip apart my soul, but do not take from me that which I hold most dear.” Beautiful, bloody words, but now I face the biggest hurdle yet.’

‘You’ll make it.’

‘Victoria?’

‘Yes, kitten. Never fear, if you can’t make it out of
the deluge, I’ll direct brother dear in fishing you out before he goes berserk.’ The attempt at levity, in the
kindly stern mental voice does the trick. Rogue’s muscles ease, and with someone sharing the load of concentration, Jean’s harebrained scheme is pulled off,

Rogue doing a weird jump thing that means Kurt can teleport to get to the girl.
Sitting on the floor of the jet, Rogue broadcasts again.

‘Victoria? You broadcasted for me, didn’t you? You’re still doing it!’

Catlike smugness, a tang of sass and earthen fire in her reply

‘Combat telepath, kitten. Mom, mate, sister, mentor, and a hundred years of learning. Besides, you do not need to be made uncomfortable about desiring the presence of your Pride mate.’

‘His name is Wolverine, so where does pride come into it?’

‘Foolish kitten. I am a cat, so I say Pride, my mate and our son are wolves, so they say Pack, brother is a rodent, like a weasel. That means a Sneak. Besides, the human heart and the animal have to find a balance, which is why, despite being a solitary animal, I can mate. You, little one, are ours. The ferals, no matter what we call ourselves. So yes, please, break it off with that ice cub. He’s terrible mate material for you.’

‘Victoria!’

‘Don’t “Victoria!” me, cublet. It’s only common sense. I told you, your mutation will shut down when you’re ready, not before. Besides, not only has your mutation aged you, but you’ll outlive all but my people. Before you protest, think about it. Brother brought you into the Pride because you needed my help. I’ve given you Scheherazade. With your mutation, and the fact that we all have healing factors, the only end you’ll have is a bloody one when we’re gone.’

Everyone was staring at her now, flicking glances at a stone faced Logan. Rogue blushed deep red, and snarled along the telepathic channel

‘Can you stop, Victoria? I get it, okay. Yes, Bobby is not a good choice for me, because of what you just pointed out, but still, did you have to blast it into his brain?’

‘Hmph. Cubs need punishing, and embarrassment is yours for choosing to become Scheherazade far too early. And I’m sure my brother will take great pleasure in making you scream for terrifying him.’

A pause, then

‘Be sure to return to the sanctuary, kitten. You need more telepathy training. While I don’t doubt the telepaths over there are powerful, they’re also “pure” telepaths. You need combat telepathy to help your control.’

The line went dead, figuratively speaking, and Rogue crawled to Logan, flopping in his lap and muttering

“I am sleeping. Make everyone piss off.”