Scott finished filling his plate and was ready to go back to the table. He turned and almost dropped his plate. Wolverine had been standing behind him and Scott hadn't noticed.

"Damn it," he said making sure not to slosh any of his drink from the cup. He'd forgotten how stealthy Wolverine could be; he did notice the small smirk that creased Wolverine's face. "If you have any complaints about the schedule I set up, I don't want to hear it."

"Don't think I'm the one you're gonna have to worry about complaining when it comes to combat training," Wolverine suggested.

"Self-defense," Scott corrected.

"Whatever." It was all the same to Wolverine.

Scott could feel the headache already building and combat…self-defense training hadn't even started. He didn't think the Cuckoos had ever trained with Wolverine. Maybe he could get Emma to deal with the girls' complaints.

"Then what do you need?" Scott asked moving around him.

Wolverine fell in step with the younger man. "Update."

Puzzling over what update he wanted, it finally dawned on Scott. "The girl." Wolverine made a grunt of confirmation, but Scott thought he detected a hint of irritation. "We had a bed open up, do you want her moved?"

The question seemed to further irritate Wolverine, however he quickly answered. "Won't be necessary." He paused before asking tersely, "Any new info?"

Stopping a few feet short of his table, Scott turned to look at the other man. "Not really. The rumors are all tied to those free clinics Trask Industries run. Something about mutant DNA being compiled, but Emma says there isn't a clear purpose yet." Wolverine nodded and though Scott knew he didn't need to say it, he added. "It's probably best that she stay with you for safe keeping."

After watching Wolverine make his way across the dining hall, Scott sat down opposite Emma. Shaking his head, he mused over the emotions he thought he'd seen play across the other man's face. It had been a long time since he'd seen anything but Wolverine's carefully constructed façade.

"How long have those two been having sex?" Emma asked.

Scott looked up from his plate. "Who?" He knew Emma heard quite a bit of the rumors that spread through the facility, but she usually didn't bring any of them to him unless it would have an impact on daily life.

"Wolverine and Rogue, of course," Emma said with amusement.

"What the…" He coughed a little realizing that it came out louder than he meant. "Who told you that?"

"No one. You'd have to be blind not to notice." She said with a righteous smile. She knew Scott could put on blinders to other people's relationships if it didn't directly affect daily operations.

Over the past couple of months, he'd seen Wolverine and the girl …Rogue, together often. It was only natural if Wolverine was keeping an eye on the girl. Rogue did sit with the other women her age at some meals and she hung out with them in the common area.

Scott watched the two as they filled their plates. Now for the first time he picked up on the little signs that could indicate intimacy. Wolverine had placed his hand at the small of her back, Rogue leaned into him, and they shared lots of brief touches.

When their plates were full they went their separate ways. Rogue to sit with Jubilee and Wolverine sat down the table from Emma and him. Scott kept a discrete eye on them. The two made eye contact several times and Scott would swear Wolverine almost smiled at one point. He couldn't remember the last time he'd seen Wolverine smile.

~I told you!~ Emma's voice sounded smug even in his head.

Scott turned toward her and caught her look of superiority. He sighed inwardly. ~I don't want to know,~ he shot back firmly.

He put his blinders up and concentrated on his food. What was it to him if they'd found some happiness? Despite the fact he kept calling her 'the girl' she wasn't. They were both adults. Scott had no need to keep tabs on or interfere as long as it didn't affect daily operations.