There have been a few times, I could count them on my hand if I cared to, that I woke up thinking I was in the other timeline. Usually not in a good way. Dreams of dying friends, leaving Marie, and a ruined world.

Those nights, nights like tonight, I have to escape the mansion. Find my bearings on the outside; remind myself that this world is still in decent enough shape. Staring into the night sky, I can see why the Professor doesn't want to know what the future could hold. It's easier to pretend that it never happened or it was a bad acid trip in the seventies. Not everyone has that luxury.

Marie was stirring when I left our room. She knows me better than I could have hoped; giving me the space I need before comforting us both.

I can hear her, bare feet on the dewy grass. She takes a seat beside me on the retaining wall. Reaching into her robe pocket, she hands me a clipped cigar I didn't finish earlier and a lighter.

"No beer?" I tease, hoping to break the tension that's built up around me.

She smiles and hands me a pint of whiskey from her other pocket. "Thought you might want something stronger." She waits for me to take a swig. "Bad?"

"Yeah." I set the bottle down and she slips her hand into mine, resting her head on my shoulder.

There's no pressing for details, she knows I'll tell her when I'm ready. It will be some time before I will tell her this one, if ever. The dreams are usually filled with fighting and destruction, a scene from an apocalyptic show or as close as any of them will get to the real thing.

This one was different. I saw a future timeline not completely unlike the other one I knew. One where I lived for years thinking Marie was dead, only to find out later that she was alive and being tortured the whole time. Probably the most helpless I've ever felt.

Her presence beside me now is reassuring. I finish my cigar and turn to help her down. Instead she hooks a foot around me and draws me into a hug.

"We're going to make it through this," she says with an air of finality. My anger and frustrations are no match for her hope.

She looks up at me, love plainly written on her face. I've told her several times of my love for her, but she isn't ready to say the words. Even now she hesitates and I kiss her. I want her to find the right time to tell me, not because she feels obligated to make me feel better.

The simple kiss has become deeper, our tongues warring for dominance. Marie says she enjoys kissing me and I try to oblige her whenever possible. But tonight I'm feeling the need to possess her and the way she's rubbing herself on me isn't helping.

The more confidence she gains in controlling her mutation, the less she wears around me. Right now she is in a t-shirt and panties. She recently ditched her sleep pants and only uses the robe if she needs to leave our room. I'm glad for what little she is wearing, as I don't trust myself to not mark her.

I cup her ass, grinding into her and lower my head to suck her nipples through the fabric of her shirt. She bites her lip, stifling a moan. I need the barrier as a reminder of the lines that still need to be in place, but want nothing more than to kiss her sweet flesh all over. As if sensing my desire, she pulls her shirt up, baring her breasts to me.

Her fingers rake through my hair, encouraging my every nip and lick. I need more than this; the scent of her has permeated my brain, driving my actions. I slide a finger over each side of the waistband of her panties and tug. I catch her nervously looking over her shoulder at the mansion.

"Classrooms," I assure her. I glance up at the moonless sky. "Couldn't see us anyway."

Her mouth is set in that grim line of decision making. I kiss her again, giving her extra time to decide while I make up my own mind. I need her, but tonight would be too hard and fast. It would leave her wanting. Not something I should do to her our first time.

Leaning back on her arms, she lifts her hips and lets me pull her panties off. She wads them up and stuffs them in a pocket of her robe. She watches breathlessly as I kiss my way down her body until I'm kneeling in front of her. Her eyes are dark with desire and I can feel a shiver of anticipation run through her.

Nudging her legs further apart, first kissing one creamy smooth thigh then the other. She gasps, letting her head loll back at the first touch of my tongue. As I continue to lick and suck, she lowers herself to lie back on the grass.

She's making little noises that set ablaze the fire already burning in my veins, making my body ache. I pause, panting, and hear her huff in frustration. Chancing a peek, I watch as she kneads her breast, pinching her taut nipples.

"Please," she begs me, wiggling closer to my mouth.

Her hips buck this time when I lick her clit and I place a hand on her to keep her still. With my other hand, I reach into my sleep pants and wrap my fist around my hardened flesh. Her thighs tremble, her scent thick and heady. She grabs at my hand as she comes, moaning my name.

Stroking my cock roughly, I continue licking her as she quivers on my mouth. It was only when her gasp held an edge of pain that I realize I'm biting her thigh as I come. This time she grabs for my hair, but not to push me away. Instead she holds me where I am until our breathing calms.

I kiss the bite mark and she lets go of my hair. Standing up, I help her down from the wall, straightening her clothing for the walk back to the mansion. She avoids looking at me and I wish one of my heightened senses was knowing what she is thinking right now.

"Marie, I..." I'm unsure what to say. I'm don't want to apologize for what just happened, unless it is something she regrets.

She looks at me with that coy look of love; a little more hero worship in the mix right now, and presses a finger to my lips. "I'm fine. It's just that..." she trails off, turning bright red. "I enjoyed it. All of it."

I understand now and kiss her finger. "Not something good Southern girls are supposed to want."

She nods. "What would my mama think?"

"Don't worry, Darlin', I won't be telling her." She laughs lightly and takes my hand as we walk to the mansion.

~*~