It's still early and I can hear the hushed voices down by the med bay. Truthfully only Bobby is trying to be quiet. He tried shushing Marie, but she refused to be silenced.

"It's been over a week, Rogue."

"So."

"You're sleeping down here."

"Someone needs to be available to help."

"It's not right. People are beginning to talk."

I can imagine Marie with her hands on her hips. She never did take well to being told how to act.

"What do you want me to do Bobby? He's my friend and he's going through a tough time right now."

"I don't know. Does it have to be you?" Whining won't get anywhere with Marie.

"Logan has saved my life several times. Why shouldn't it be me?"

"But last night-"

"You're upset with me because I skipped a night out with your friends?"

"They wanted to know where you were. I had to fib."

"You couldn't tell them I was helping a friend?" She is out of patience; I can hear it in her voice.

"Well…"

"What would you do if it was me in that cell?" Silence. "Bobby?"

"I don't know."

"I see…" Her voice is cold now. "I tell you what Bobby, I'll save you the trouble of ever having to ponder it." Footsteps ring in the hallway heading in the other direction.

"Rogue, come on."

He's going to have to step up his game to get back into her good graces.




Breakfast is earlier than usual. We eat in silence. Marie shows no signs of stress from her early morning conversation with Bobby.

"Did he smooth things over?"

She almost chokes on a bite of egg. "No." She shakes her head. "You heard all of it?"

I nod, no point in denying it. I feel bad, I don't want to be the cause of any pain in her life.

"It's been in the makings for a while."

Marie doesn't seem heartbroken about their split. "Why?"

She shrugs, then looks at me with determination for the choice she's made. "Bobby was dating me because people expected him to. A lot of his life is that way. He came to Xavier's because his family expected him to. He's an X-Men because Mr. Sum…Scott expected him to be." She puts her empty plate back on the tray. "I don't want to be someone's obligation. I want a man that cares about me simply cause he does. Not one that pretends because it's expected of him."

Marie leans into me and I put an arm around her shoulders. She doesn't need comforting for the breakup, but it is nice to have her in my arms. Maybe I need the comfort.

~*~