Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's another chapter for you! This one is, once again, thanks to feralbites for the beta and the encouragement. If it weren't for her we wouldn't have this much of the fic!

“One room,” Logan says, his grip on Marie’s hand getting a little tighter. Scott looks to Marie who only nods.

“One room.” She repeats.
After opening the door Logan moves to stand across the room next to Marie. The two people come inside and Logan takes stock of them. Mutants by the looks of them; one tall and wearing a pair of wrap around shades, in the dead of night something like that is a dead giveaway. The woman’s only a few inches shorter than the man, high cheekbones, splash of bright red hair, tight lips. The two of them wear matching bands on their left hands.

“Marie, we’re so happy that you’re alright. When the Professor said that Sabretooth had caught up to you…”

“Jean,” the man stops her mid sentence and turns to Logan and Marie. “We’re here to offer you sanctuary. A place where Sabretooth and Magneto can’t get to you and-“

“I’ve told you that I don’t want to go.” Marie’s calm when she speaks, but it’s easy for Logan to sense how she’s really feeling. Marie’s considering. The man can sense it too, that she’s wavering.

“Listen Marie, I know that you think you can run from him, but it’s not safe out here. If we can find you then Sabretooth is sure to find you.”

“You don’t think I know that? That’s why Logan is here.” She moves and he can feel her press her hand onto his back, shifting so that she’s more behind him that she was before. The idea of her feeling threatened makes him growl and take a step forward.

The woman is quick to intervene.

“We only want you safe, Marie. That’s all we want. And maybe we can help keep you that way. The Professor and everyone would be able to look out for you, keep track of where everyone is and keep you safe on the grounds of the school.”

He can smell it, that moment when she decides to give them a shot.



They’ve packed their things, Logan leaving his truck and bike someplace safe. He’s not keen on the idea of going back to their school with them, but Marie wants to give it a shot, especially since they seem to have created a safe place for mutants. She’s nervous though, worried that somehow Sabretooth will find them and cause more damage than he’s been.

She clings to him for the entire flight, strapped in right next to him on a bench seat in the plane. It doesn’t take them long to fly from Alberta to Westchester, New York, home of Xavier’s School for the Gifted. When they disembark it’s into a huge sterile room beneath the school.

“If you’ll come this way we can attend to any wounds that you might have and-“

“No,” Marie interrupts her. “I’m fine, all healed up from the fight.”

“But, the Professor said that you had been injured during your fight with Sabretooth. If I could just…” She stops when she sees Marie’s face, when she can tell the girl isn’t going to go with her anywhere.

He squeezes her hand and tugs her along down a hall.

“If you’ll just give me a moment I’ll come with you to show you where to go,” Jean calls after them. It’s Marie’s tug on his hand that causes him to stop. Since he’s been letting her take the lead on this little trip, he concedes.

“We’ll just wait here,” she calls out to the woman. After Jean is gone, the man comes to where they are. Scott Summers, he’d said his name was.

“She won’t be but a moment then we can see about getting you two some rooms and seeing the Professor.”

“One room,” Logan says, his grip on Marie’s hand getting a little tighter. Scott looks to Marie who only nods.

“One room.” She repeats. Her heart rate had accelerated at the mention of being separated from him, and he feels a little surge of pride in that answer. But her heart rate isn’t coming down and he wants to reassure her. “We’ll be fine.” He says to Scott as he pulls Marie off to the side of the hall, wrapping an arm around her waist and pulling her in tight.

Their bags hit the floor with a loud thump and he finds himself offering comfort to a woman he’s known less than twelve hours. It seems right though, to his way of thinking she’s known him his whole life, what with his memories and personality up there in her head. If she’s willing to cling to him for protection and assurance after knowing every little bit and thing about him, then he’s not going to let her go.

“It’s alright, I gotcha. We’re here and we’re gonna give it a shot but if you wanna go back at any time, just tell me and I’ll get these guys to take us back to where we were.” He holding her tight and pressing her head beneath his chin when the redhead comes back to where they’re waiting in the hall. Scott’s long gone.

“Ready to go and get into your room or do you want to go meet the Professor first?”

Marie hesitates so Logan answers for her. “Take us to our room.”
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for all the love and support!