Author's Chapter Notes:
“Not sure, couple of people, one guy wearing glasses and another with red hair.” Marie groans aloud and buries her face in the pillow.

Don't shoot me. I know that this chapter is shorter than the others. thanks to feralbites for the beta. More is coming, don't fret!
It’s almost an hour later when they’re settling into something of an evening routine at a seedy motel somewhere in Northern Canada. Marie’s showered and brushed her teeth, it seems that the girl has everything in that duffel of hers. Instead of the ripped and torn jeans and shirt she’s got these tiny little pajamas on.

Logan watches as she dries her hair with a towel thinking for a long moment before speaking.

“How does a girl like you get on Sabretooth’s radar?” He’s lounging on the only bed in the room, a little too delighted at the prospect of spending a night in bed with her plastered up against him.

She stops what she’s doing and throws the towel over the back of the only chair in the room, considering.

“I know you said you’re going to help me, but I feel like you should have the whole story first, then you can decide.” He figures there isn’t any considering to be done, he’s said he’s going to help her and that’s that. He tells her so.

“O-ok. But you still deserve the whole story.” She sighs and crawls up to the top of the bed, sliding under the sheets and blankets, like she’s burrowing into a cocoon. Logan makes a split decision, stripping off his shirts and boots and climbing into bed with her.

It was the right one because she’s there cuddled up against his side, her head lying on his chest while she speaks. He breathes her in deeply, enjoying the scent of her.

“I manifested my power when I was 17. It was during my first kiss ever and I put him into a coma for three weeks. I can still feel him inside my head, just like with you. My parents kept me cloistered away, home schooling no dating the whole nine yards. I couldn’t live like that so as soon as I had the graduation papers in m hand I moved out. Settled into a little apartment, lived my life.”

Her scent has gone melancholy and he brushes his hand over her back over and over, offering comfort. In response she snuggles into him a little more.

“Sabretooth had been following me for weeks, on Magneto’s order, when he first attacked me and tried to take me to a secluded warehouse. That’s the first time I touched him. I put him down, good. But I had him rattling around in my brain, screaming and fighting and freaking out. That’s how I knew he’d been following me. He’d learned about my powers from The Brotherhood,” Logan tenses at that. The Brotherhood had tried to recruit him once, had used a shape shifting bitch to try to lure him into their political bullshit. He’d turned her down flat and she hadn’t been very happy. Marie’s still talking so he tunes back in.

“He misunderstood what my powers can do, I told you that. He’s been chasing me across the country, I started in Mississippi. I don’t know how to get him to stop.”

“He won’t,” Logan replies. Another thought strikes him. “How did you know to find me?”

She blushes a little and hides her face in his chest. “I dreamt of you.” Her voice is muffled, but he knows what she said. She’s not embarrassed, he realizes, but afraid. His arms tighten around her.

“I was dreaming and you and Sabretooth were fighting and when I woke up, I looked into his memories. He’s afraid of you, you know. He knows that you’re the only person that can stand a chance against him and he knows that you can kill him.” That’s news to Logan. Sabretooth, afraid of him. The man never acted like it.

“So you thought you’d come and find The Wolverine and get him to help you, what? What is it you want me to do?”

“Just keep me safe, Logan. All I need you to do is promise to keep me safe.”

“I’ll keep you safe Marie, I promise.”

She shifts a little in his arms, her eyes closing. He can tell when she drifts into sleep, her breathing deep and even. He closes his eyes as well and drifts to sleep.



A knock on the door wakes him. Groggy, but aware, he leaves Marie in the bed and moves to look out the window.

“Who is it?” She’s awake now, looking at him and the door in earnest.

“Not sure, couple of people, one guy wearing glasses and another with red hair.” Marie groans aloud and buries her face in the pillow.

“You know ‘em?” This was a new turn of events he hadn’t expected. “Who are they?”

“They’re from this school in New York. They tried to get me to move there, shortly after I moved out into my own apartment. Then again, after Sabretooth attacked me they tried to get me to come again, but I’d had the dream of you already and I knew that you were the only one that could help me, so I turned them down again.” She pulls herself from the bed and grabs a pair of jeans to pull on over the short shorts she was sleeping in. Almost as an afterthought she grabs one of his flannels and pulls it around her shoulders. “Go then, let ‘em in.”
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reviewing? Who's ready for the Power X-Couple to pop in?