You can't make your heart feel
Something it won't.




Rogue knocked on the passenger window of the older SUV, holding a coffee cup where Logan could see it. He leaned over; opening the door for her, and taking the extended coffee before she climbed into the passenger seat.

"Took you long enough," he said teasingly.

Holding her nose in the air, she replied haughtily, "There are only Starbucks here, I had to find a real coffee shop."

She'd called over an hour ago letting him know she was back from her business trip. Regretfully, he'd informed her he was on a stakeout and no she couldn't distract him on this one. He'd finally agreed to a cup of coffee.

They sat in silence several minutes before he asked about her trip. "Just a little corporate espionage. Some fight over a recipe for sauce that I couldn't even taste a difference in." Shrugging she added, " What do I know? At least it paid well."

Nodding, Logan skipped right to the matter at hand. "Missed you."

She smiled over at him, "I know." It came out sassier than she'd planned, but he only snorted and took a sip of his coffee.

Rogue was unsure if she missed him like he meant. His lack of presence in her life during the past week had been noticeable, which was a first for her. She'd thought of him often, but didn't want to say it had been out of fondness. Although, when she'd arrived back in New York City she'd called him, because she had an itch only he could scratch.

Now, here she sat next to Logan, sipping coffee and horny as all get out. He'd made it clear on the phone there would be no make out session in the backseat of the vehicle. She hadn't brought him coffee to mess up his surveillance; instead she'd hoped to entice him into hurrying to her apartment once his shift was over.

However, she'd have to go about it in such a way that didn't start a discussion. There was something about his demeanor, something she couldn't put her finger on that led her to believe he wanted to talk. Talking would only lead to statements about emotional attachments. She knew from peeking at his thoughts before she left that Logan had more than a couple of emotional attachments to her. A type of affection she could not reciprocate.

Rogue was more than willing to take care of his physical needs. Physical pleasure, she could give and take as needed, but emotions were not part of her make up. Her heart was simply a muscle that pumped blood around her body. Discussing such topics would not endear anyone to her and she was positive the reverse was true too. One only needed to look around and observe the destruction declarations of love brought.

"Anything exciting happen while I was gone?" she asked, trying to turn the conversation to a benign subject.

"Let's see, drank some really good scotch with a nice cigar and kicked some ass. Nope, nothing new." She saw the spark in his eyes; for a man who wanted an uncomplicated life, he was rather complex. "How about you?" he asked.

"I got this new coat and some boots." To show off her boots, she placed a foot on the dash. The coat, a long, dark green wool that fell past her knees, had grabbed her attention when she first glimpsed it in the store window. The knee high, leather boots were a must to complete any outfit.

Logan looked over and swallowed hard. Marie had owned a coat very similar to that in the other timeline. She'd been overly fond of that coat, even when it started falling apart at the seams. It was nice to see her in it again, but the not so innocent look on her face made him suspect she'd peeked at some of his fantasies. He could see the conversation he'd hoped to have was becoming unlikely.

"Coat's a little warm for this time of year." He hoped his voice came across more nonchalant than he felt.

"It is, but I came up with a solution."

He turned back to her, brow furrowed. She was casually resting her hand, with the coffee cup, on her raised boot. His eyes traveled the length of her bare leg to her inner thigh.

He set his coffee in the cup holder before he spilled it on himself. "Marie…" he rumbled out, sounding more pleading than he intended.

Putting on a pouty look, she unknotted the belt that held the coat closed with her free hand. A coat and boots. Her entire outfit consisted of nothing more than her coat and boots. Not a stitch more. With no success, Logan tried to banish the images of Marie walking around the city in her present condition from his mind.

He stared straight ahead, gripping the steering wheel with both hands. His body could not be willed into submission. Looking at his watch, he determined there were only fifteen minutes left before his shift was over. He could make it fifteen minutes.

Rogue smiled proudly, she'd accomplished her chosen goal with a minimal of effort. She was fairly certain he would be more than willing to scratch her itch.

Suddenly, Logan broke out in laughter. Not a reaction she had planned for. When his laughter faded, she noticed the softening around his eyes and steeled herself.

"I love you," he said with a trace of merriment in his voice.

She congratulated herself for remaining indifferent to his statement. Reaching over, she patted his leg with the patience one shows an over exuberant child. Setting her coffee next to his, she opened the door to step out. She flashed him quickly before retying her belt. "Don't make me wait too long," she said, then shut the SUV's door.

He watched her sashay her way down the street. Resting his head on the steering wheel, he wished the SUV didn't smell like Marie. If he went to her place, and he knew he was going, there would be no talking. Only sex.

Working it backwards was turning out to be harder than he thought.

~*~