Author's Chapter Notes:

Chapter by cschoolgirl

 

Rogue zipped up her uniform with trepidation. So far she had managed to successfully avoid Logan all of two weeks, but seeing him, and possibly talking to him today would be inevitable. Today was mandatory team practice in the Danger Room.

The biggest danger, she knew, would be Logan's heightened senses. No matter how resolute she was in breaking free from him, she had a very real fear that if she got too close to him, her body would betray her. She couldn't deny that she was still attracted to him, and he would sense that.

She had tried, she really had. Kitty and Jubilee had been on a mission to find her a man, everyday of those two weeks. Jubilee had even set her up with the cute bouncer at one of the bars. They hit it off and things were great until he kissed her. He'd been a good kisser too, but it did nothing for her. No, she wouldn't lie to herself. Even as they kissed, she couldn't close her eyes tight enough to imagine those fingertips sneaking under her shirt belonged to a certain tall, dark and growly feral.

Rogue knew she still had it bad for Logan. What had he done lately to deserve her love? Looking at herself in the locker mirror, she blinked. This was bad. She didn't just have a huge thing for him, she loved him. That inner Iris better be with her today.

She slammed her locker door and thought about beating her head on it for good measure. One wrong move and he would have all the evidence he needed. Sometimes just the look of him in uniform was enough to get her hot and bothered. Damn that man was sexy. And she was doomed.

There would be at least one life saving maneuver involved in today's training. There always was. As far back as Rogue could remember she and Logan had partnered up during team practices. It seemed as if everyone expected them to team up, because no one tried to pair off with them anymore.

"Hey!" Jubilee called from three lockers down. "You'll knock my stuff down." Her friend hastily moved items further back on the shelf. "What's got you so miffed?" Jubilee didn't need to ask; even after two weeks she could see Rogue's hardened resolve melting.

When Rogue had dropped Dave, the bouncer, like a hot rock; Jubilee had finally pressed for answers. At first, Rogue awkwardly admitted that Logan had touched her when they came back that night. Jubilee had been surprised that Logan would force himself on any woman, especially Rogue. Never the less, she swore to severely damage him in retribution.

At Rogue's horrified look, a calm explanation prevailed. Rogue was too embarrassed to spill the gritty details, even to Jubilee, but she couldn't leave the impression that Logan forced himself on her. It wasn't as embarrassing as she feared to tell Jubilee that she was all for loosing her virginity in the foyer with the added humiliation of his date still being there.

Jubilee understood Rogue's indignity and subsequent stance on Logan. The man had messed up monumentally. She would have found the situation great fodder if it didn't involve her best friend and the man her best friend loved.

"You know who," Rogue answered resting her head on the locker door. "We always team up and I be will spending a grueling hour trying not to get too close."

"Aw, chica, if it will help I will team up with you." Jubilee cast a glance at her friend. "Besides, Bobby could get used to standing on his own two feet for a change."

"That would be great, but he'll still know," Rogue said. Then at Jubilee's furrowed brow, "Heightened sense of smell."

"Ew! Don't say anything else. I don't want to know." Jubilee turned back to her locker and began rummaging through her emergency supplies. Unlike other people, Jubilee's emergencies usually called for mascara, eyeliner, or fingernail polish. "Here it is."

Jubilee produced a perfume bottle filled with an amber liquid. Before Rogue could say anything the other woman had enveloped her in a mist of the spray. For a second, Rogue thought a nuclear bomb had gone off, incinerating her eyeballs in its wake.

"Jubes, what the hell?" Rogue spat out as they both coughed.

"It's musk," Jubilee stated, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Now I remember why I don't use it."

"I think I'm going to be sick." Rogue couldn't decide if she should hold her breath; passing out might be a good alternative.


"Nice of you to join us…" Scott started as Jubilee and Rogue came in to the Danger Room. "…I think." His voice slowly petered out when they came within a few feet of the other X-Men.

There was a round of coughing and sneezing among the gathered group. Scott tried to continue on with the target of the day's exercise. Rogue thought he did an admirable job with the commotion everyone was making.

"Alright, take your places," he commanded. This was the group's only cue that session was about to start.

Logan ambled in last minute. It was the easiest way to poke at Scott and Rogue would fill him in on anything important he hadn't heard from the hallway. Actually, he'd been impatiently waiting for this day. The day Marie could not avoid him.

Last week's session had been canceled and he'd thought about hunting down whoever had made that decision. But decided not to push his luck. He needed to keep his head on straight if he was going to get back on Marie's good side. She'd kept the silent treatment up for a solid two weeks. That was the longest two weeks of his life. He hadn't even gotten close enough to her to make any kind of eye contact.

Mandatory team practice was his chance. He shook his head trying not to sneeze. What was that awful smell? It had been in the hall, but he didn't have time to track it down. Now it was stronger in the Danger Room. Probably one of those kids and their body washes. He still remembered trying to pack his nose with cotton balls the time Bobby had dowsed himself in that stuff.

Quickly spotting Rogue, he walked toward her and Jubilee. He came to a dead stop. He'd found the source of that wretched smell. The one that singed his nose hairs and made his eyes water. Jubilee gave him a nervous laugh and pulled Rogue over to the far side of the room.

Logan let them go. He was at a loss of what to do. He couldn't remember the last time he hadn't teamed up with Marie, but he didn't think he could get past that smell for an hour. Taking several steps toward them, he stopped again. The pungent smell of musk only grew stronger. He wouldn't last five minutes. Reluctantly he walked off in the other direction.

Rogue watched him go. It was one thing to avoid Logan; it was something else entirely for him to avoid her. He'd never given her the slip, even when she was pissed at him. This hurt worse than the initial humiliation. She glanced around the room and saw the odd looks the rest of the team were giving each other.

First the stench and now Logan turning his nose up at her, literally. Well folks, pull up a seat, get comfy, and watch Rogue's life slowly fall apart.

She glared at Jubilee. It wasn't really Jubes fault, but it made Rogue momentarily feel better to blame it all on Jubilee's plan. She was glad that Jubes' back was to her, so Jubes didn't see the nasty face she'd made. Nope, Rogue had made her life a mess before Jubilee even put a finger in to help. Time to pull on her big girl panties and at the very least survive this session without looking more foolish than necessary.

Logan found his comfort zone was a good dozen feet or so. Any closer and he started sneezing or coughing or both. It was still close enough to see the hurt look in her eyes every time he backed away. Damn it, today was supposed to be his day to get a toe in the door, to move their routine along to "Rogue-is-no-longer-pissed-at-Logan" status. How was he supposed to get her to smile and cast furtive glances his way when her eyes were full of hurt?

The best he could do was keep an eye on her from a far. She and Jubilee made an effective enough team that he didn't worry too much about her. It wasn't like he needed to be concerned; Marie was a capable young woman.

He glanced over to find his eyes roaming her lithe body, encased in curve hugging leather. When her eyes meet his, he gave her a fleeting, apologetic smile. Her sensual lips turned up, returning the smile and setting his loins on fire. The biggest acknowledgement of his existence in two weeks. One step at a time, Logan. One step at a time.

The better part of a half hour later, he was sure he'd ruined the one small foothold he'd gained. Jubilee and Rogue had been split up, when a piece of debris went flying straight for Rogue. Within seconds he realized she had yet to see it. Nothing in the Danger Room would kill you, but that didn't mean it wouldn't hurt like hell.

Executing a perfect flying tackle; Logan caught up Rogue, cradling her head to his chest so she wouldn't hit it as they tumbled across the floor. When they came to a stop, she raised her head to stare at him. The debris smashed mere feet from them, showering them with small particles.

"Logan," she whispered. It was a soft hopeful sound, which reminded him all the world of their intimate encounter. All the blood in his body immediately rushed south and he sucked in a shaky breath.

It was the wrong thing to do. He unceremoniously dumped her on the floor as he scrambled away wheezing and coughing. Cursing between coughs at Jubilee, he was sure the mess was some half-baked plan she'd hatched.


Rogue was the last one out of the showers. She'd spent twenty minutes or more scrubbing the perfume from her body. After washing her hair three times, she'd gotten Storm to give it a sniff to make sure it didn't stink. Rogue was positive that her uniform should be burned, not simply cleaned. The X-Women had assured her that she smelled of nothing but soap. However, she knew that wouldn't be the same with Logan.

She'd noticed the way he crinkled his nose when he got too close to her. He'd blinked away red eyes more than once. She might as well have been waving a skunk under his nostrils.

Didn't matter anyway, he never waited for her. That was her job. She wanted to get mad all over again at the way she had trailed around after him in the past. But less than an hour ago he'd held her, even if it was part of a 'life saving maneuver'. His body had responded to her closeness. Surely that counted for something.

Rogue shook her head. Ugh, she had to stop this line of thinking! Sighing heavily, she tossed her towels in the hamper. Rogue knew she must have washed her gumption off in the shower.

Logan was leaning against the wall when she entered the hallway. Confused, she checked both directions and then eyed him again. He smiled his smile that charmed the pants off women, not the usual charming little sister smile reserved for her. Rogue had yet to see him direct that smile directed at her, so she quickly checked over her shoulder for the gorgeous woman that was standing behind her. Uh…just the two of them, all alone in the hall. Skepticism crept in. Logan wasn't trying to charm her pants off...was he?

Didn't matter. It was a good thing she was immune she told herself as she turned toward the elevator. He quickly fell instep with her.

"Thought I'd check to make sure you were okay," Logan said, stepping on the elevator with her.

"I'm fine, thanks." Aw, he was apologizing. She tried unsuccessfully to keep the smile from her face.

They were off to a good start Logan thought. She'd accepted his smile and smiled in return. Almost off the hook, though he should probably throw in an apology for good measure.

"Last time we talked," he began. Rogue looked up at him, eyes filled with …hope? "It was a big mistake."

A little bit of light went out of her eyes and she turned to face the doors of the elevator. Whatever small gain he thought he'd made had been lost. Fuck it, he jabbed the stop button and placed himself between her and the doors. Gently he placed a finger under her chin and carefully raised her face.

"Not you! Never you. Nothing I've ever done with or for you has been a mistake." At his words her face softened and he knew this might be his only chance to come clean with her. "But the way I went about it that night was a huge mistake."

Something in him responded to the way her breathing had quickened. He looked at her luscious lips and remembered how they tasted. Logan skimmed his thumb across them, warm and inviting. Her eyes had dilated and her heart was beating a wild tune in her chest. He wanted to taste her lips again and hold her body against his.

"Marie, I get thrown off balance when you're close like this. You make the blood pound in my ears and all rational thought goes out the window."

Rogue bit her lip as the corner of her mouth pulled up in a little smile. She looked into his eyes, dark with desire and yet so sincere.

"I know just what you mean, Logan," she murmured. She closed her eyes as Logan came down closer, and felt his lips press against hers in a kiss so sweet and tender and sexy, it stole her breath away.