Story Notes:
Thanks to Margaret and Jamie for the beta on the first chapter all those years ago. Thank you to Roguelotus for adopting this little fic so that our favorite couple aren't left hanging. Not to mention letting me work with her to continue this story.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I had abandoned this fic after Margaret gave me some sage advice and I couldn't see a way out. Angst is so not my thing.
Rogue should have known their plans didn't constitute a date. "Can we do that next week? I have a date tonight."

She tried not to let her disappointment show through her smile. "Oh, that's okay." Sighing, she continued, "Don't worry about me, next weekend will be fine."

"Good, see ya' later," Turning away from her, Logan continued his descent down the staircase.

"Yeah, catch ya' later…"




Slamming the door behind her, she marched to her bureau looking for something to throw. After finding nothing she wished to part with she surveyed the items on both roommates' dressers. Surely they had something meaningless that would shatter in to a thousand little pieces.

Kitty stepped out from the bathroom, two lipsticks in her hand. "Rogue, which…hey, quit eyeing my stuff like you need something to break."

Jubilee stuck her head out the bathroom door. "If you're looking to break things, I suggest trying Wolvie's room." Withdrawing from the room, "besides he's the one that pissed you off."

"How do you know that?" Rogue huffed.

"Please," Kitty replied in exasperation, "He's the only one around the mansion that gets you this worked up."

Rogue flopped on her bed, suddenly out of steam. "I'm not that obvious am I?"

"Yes," came the combined answer from the bathroom.

Hiding her face in the pillows, she issued a pitiful, "I'm so pathetic. No wonder he brushed me off for a real date." Jubilee and Kitty broke into fits of laughter that drew Rogue from the bed to the bathroom door. “What?”

Turning toward her, dark hair still wrapped around the curling iron, Jubilee smiled, “Chica, there’s not much you could do to make that man notice you're no longer 16. He has a thick head and it’s not the adamantium that makes it that way.”

Studying the tiled floor, Rogue sighed, “I’m wasting my time, aren’t I?”

Kitty glanced over from where she leaned toward the mirror putting on mascara, “only until reality hits him like a ton of bricks. Until then, why don’t you come out with us?”

“Club hopping?” asked Rogue.

“Yeah, there’s plenty of time for you to get ready," replied Jubilee, still fussing with her hair. "We’ll just have to grab something quick to eat here before we jet.”

“Sounds fine, but I don’t have anything to wear.” Rogue answered as she watched her two friends.

Rolling her eyes, Jubilee set the hairspray down and pulled Rogue into the bedroom. “Really girl, between our three closets, we’ll find something.”

Kitty joined Jubilee as she descended on Rogue’s closet. The two busied themselves opening shoeboxes and pushing hangers around.

“Rogue, you’ve been holding out on us,” was Kitty’s cry from the bottom of the closet. She stood up dangling in front of Jubilee a pair of long black leather boots.

"Fuck me boots," Jubilee whispered turning a questioning eye on Rogue.

Red with embarrassment Rogue shrugged, "Logan gave me a gift certificate to a leather store last Christmas."

"That must have been some certificate," Jubilee stated. "Don't tell me he helped you pick these out?"

Rogue's blush deepened, "No, I told him I bought boots, he never asked to see them."

"I bet not." Jubilee turned her attention back to the closet for a second, and then pulled out a long sleeved knit mini dress. "The boots will look great with this."

"I can't wear that," Rogue protested. "It was an impulse buy and it's too tight."

Scrutinizing the dress Kitty asked, "too tight makes you look fat or too tight makes you look hot?"

Rogue was left alone to change while Jubilee and Kitty argued over the best makeup choices to complete her attire.




He couldn’t believe it, she was drooling. He should have called her a cab hours ago, but she insisted on staying at the cookout where she was having a good time.

Late in the evening Logan sought refuge, from her constant chattering, in the rec room. He settled in with a whiskey and a game. An hour later Lisa…Linda…Lynn found him and proceeded to ruin the game. When he originally made the date, her talking hadn’t bothered him, now he was wishing he had gone ahead with his plans with Marie.

Definitely should have called the cab for her hours ago. He was staying up to talk to Marie and didn’t need what’s her name hanging around, even if she was asleep.

Thinking of Marie, he didn’t know what exactly to address with her first. He had caught a glimpse of her with Jubilee and Kitty as they headed out for the evening. He’d stewed all night on what to tell her. He should probably start with the clothes and the thigh-high boots that encased her long legs.

Mid thought he heard their car drive past the gates long before the key lock beeped on the front door. He made his way to the foyer and leaned against the wall, he surveyed the trio as they tiptoed in.

Kitty stumbled into Jubilee’s back as she came to a sudden halt. “Hey, why’d we stop?” Kitty peered around Jubilee and began giggling. “Oops, watchdog on duty.”

Rogue brought up the rear and let out a heavy sigh when she saw Logan. Kitty started giggling again talking about reality and bricks. Logan scowled at them as Jubilee hustled Kitty up the stairs.

Rogue waited until her friends cleared the top of the stairs before she turned on him. “I don’t know why you’re even upset. From what I remember you had other plans for tonight. So there is no reason I couldn’t go out and have fun with my friends.” She looked for some sign that he had just walked in himself. “Why are you even here?”

He looked at her sternly, “You can have fun with your friends, but that doesn’t mean you can dress like a…”

Rogue's temper flared, “Oh no, you don’t. Last time I checked I wasn’t your daughter and I’m certainly not your girlfriend and even if I was you wouldn’t get to dictate what I wear.”

“It’s not decent Marie.”

“No Logan, it’s fine.” He was riveted to the spot as she grabbed the hem of her dress and hiked it up her thighs. “This is indecent,” Rogue stated flatly.

He couldn’t help but stare, because if he tilted his head just right…She snapped her fingers in front of his face to get his attention. “They're black satin," she said in the same flat tone.

His gaze traveled back down her body, this time focusing in on the couple of new inches of thigh exposed. Her skin looked smooth and he needed to know if it felt that way. He closed the distance between them, quickly walking her back into the wall. When his fingers skated across her skin, he caught the hitch in her breath and desire in her eyes.

Rogue hissed out his name, letting her head fall to the side. It surprised him, as he hadn’t moved his hand any further than the first contact. He turned into her then as he slid his fingers up her thigh, under the material of her dress, to the curve of her hip.

Logan cupped her ass with both hands, lifting her until her hips cradled his. He sought out her lips as she began pulling up his shirt. She eagerly returned his kiss, running her hands across his chest. She was beginning to make soft little noises at the back of her throat as his hands explored further up her body.

A noise sounded from the rec room. Breaking the kiss, she looked questioningly at him. “It’s nothing,” he whispered into her hair.

She seemed to believe him or at least didn’t care when he began nibbling his way down her neck. Her hands that had momentarily stilled were now busy unfastening his belt and jeans. He knew at this pace before long they would need a condom, but Rogue didn’t seem concerned. He braced himself, holding her firmly against the wall, separating out their ragged breathing and wondering how they had so quickly gotten to this point.

Once more a snore sounded from the nearby room, only this time Rogue's head snapped down. Her forehead was wrinkled in concentration; even Logan couldn’t deny anything when his name was called sleepily from the darkness of the other room.

“Oh god, no!” Rogue was pushing him away, scrambling to gain her footing. “Let go of me!”

Stumbling back, he could only stare as she furiously tried to correct her clothing. He had enough sense to tuck himself back in before anything else went wrong. “Marie, I…”

“I don’t want to hear it.” She fixed him with a glare. He could see the anger rising again, “I’m not so desperate for you that I want to lose my virginity, while your date is sleeping on the couch twenty feet away.”

He opened his mouth to say something, any thing that wouldn’t make it worse, but Rogue didn’t let him. “Look Logan, I think you need to decide what you want from me. And until you know where I fit into your life, I think it would be best if we don’t spend time together.”

Rogue made it halfway up the stairs before he called after her. The distance between them was too great to smell the tears, but Logan heard the tremor in her voice when she spoke. “Not tonight, okay. I don’t want anymore regrets.”

He stared into the blackness at the top of the stairs long after she disappeared. Finally; he turned, he had a cab to call and a fifth to finish off.

~*~