Story Notes:

Thanks to Jules for taking what I have her and making it look great.

He knows he shouldn't, but he doesn't care. He's never been one to hold to other people's conventions.

There are days when the only reason he stays are for those rare moments of peace he finds when she is sleeping. When the past slips away and he can finally dream of a future.

He was surprised to discover his entire existence had shrunk to this; to her. Her safety. Her happiness. Her future. His life has a purpose now; one that brings a smile to his lips and fills his heart.

Yet he knows his time is short and soon a decision will have to be made; one that will either negate or solidify his dreams.

It feels odd that one small woman could have such a hold on him, but he's had three years to get use to the idea. He knew she was the key to his future when he first laid eyes on her.

But for now he's content to watch. Dream. Hope.

She shifts in her sleep, stirs and blinks sleepily at him. Love chases confusion from her features and she extends a hand to him, silently beckoning for him to fulfill her desires.

He stands still as if by doing so he can delay the moment.; have the decision taken out of his hands. Stands on the knife's edge between a past that held nothing but familiarity and an unclear future that holds the promise of love.

He hesitates too long and loses the option to choose as she slides from her bed and steps toward him; he doesn't care as her soft, warm lips meet his. All thoughts of his past and societies conventions are left behind when she leads him to her bed.

He knows now, even as he relinquishes control to her, that the decision was never really his to make.

Marie was always his future.

 

~*~