In retrospect, Scott would admit that yeah maybe it was a bad idea to make Logan go out on a mission so soon after rescuing Rogue. He might even admit that not informing Logan that the facility housed the doctors and government officials responsible for Rogue's kidnapping and financed the Weapon X program was an even worse idea. He would definitely admit that letting Logan go in first was the most phenomenally stupid idea he’d had all year. Because it was not Logan they found when the screams and gunshots ended thirty minutes after Logan entered the building. The silence that met them was deafening but then there was a distinctive sound of a feral growl in the darkness.
Turning on the lights all they saw were bodies everywhere, dismembered and bloody, and the Wolverine in the middle with his claws unsheathed and covered head to toe in the blood of his victims growling at them with bright gold eyes.

"Oh no," Remy breathed when he realized who stood before them. “No one move."

"We need Rogue," Jubilee whispered fearfully.

"Well she's not here, Jubilee," Scott whispered back in annoyance. Apparently Wolverine didn't like the tone of his voice because the growling got louder and he took a step towards them.

"Stop, Wolverine," Jean said sharply holding a hand up and stopping him telekinetically. He didn't like that a bit. "You have to calm down. We're not enemies. We're friends. We'll take you back to Rogue."

He seemed to consider that, not really understanding any words but 'enemy', 'friend', and 'Rogue'. Wolverine knew that Rogue was a word that meant something strong to him.

"He doesn't call her that," Jubilee told them. She took a cautious step toward Wolverine whose eyes fixed on her instantly. "Wolverine, she means Marie. We'll take you home to Marie now. But you can't kill us. You want to see Marie, don't you? And the baby?"

"Marie. Mate," Wolverine said with a firm nod. "Baby. Cub. Mine. Both mine."

"Yes and we'll take you back to them," Jubilee said. His eyes narrowed on her, though.

"You have them," Wolverine snapped Jean's control on him, God knows how, and had Jubilee by the throat in all of two seconds, dangling her in the air close to his face.
"Where?"

"Home," Jubilee choked out. "They're safe at home. I promise. Please don't kill me."

While Wolverine's attention was on Jubilee, Scott took the opportunity to shoot him with the tranquilizer gun they brought just in case this happened. It was loaded with sedatives that could put even Logan down for a short amount of time. Within seconds, Wolverine was on the ground unconscious. They got him back on board the plane and headed home, strapping him down on a gurney in the back for the journey.

Unfortunately, the sedatives wore off halfway through the flight and he snapped the restraints and went berserk so they had to make an unscheduled landing about an hour from the school in a field. Scott called the mansion and told Pete to drive Marie out to meet them. They locked Wolverine up in the plane, taking the emergency hatch themselves to get out. There was no telling what damage he was doing inside trying to get out but it sounded like he was trying to take it apart piece by piece, the sounds of his claws being punctuated with feral roars of rage.
Marie and Pete drove up in what must have been record time and she got out at a run to them.

"Where is he?" Marie asked breathlessly. Scott pointed to the plane.

"We had to lock him in. He's destroying my plane," he told her. She snarled at him with irritation and began walking toward the plane.

"Open the hatch, Scooter," she called over her shoulder to him. Scott did as she asked with all of them staying a safe distance away. The entrance to the jet lowered and Marie watched as the tall, dark figure of Wolverine, realizing he was being let loose, came to stand at the top. He caught her scent and let out a low growl that anyone else might take as threatening but to her it was just recognition. "Come on down, sugar. You've been a bad boy tonight. Scott's pretty upset about his plane."

Wolverine followed her scent and voice out of the plane and his eyes never left hers once he locked on to her standing there. In quicker strides that she thought possible he was inches from her and then holding on to her for dear life, breathing in her scent and purring and growling against her. He was checking her over, she realized and held still as he inspected her body for abuse or pain. He finally came down on his knees before her and put both hands and his face against her belly and took on a look of utter concentration. She ran her fingers through his hair soothingly and waited. When he was satisfied, finding her and the baby both healthy and happy, his whole body relaxed and he pulled her down onto his lap and kissed her with a gentleness that no one would have thought the Wolverine possessed.

"Sing," he demanded with a growl and buried his face against her neck. She nodded and got settled comfortably then began singing their song to him. It was the same one she sang when he had a nightmare or had one of these episodes. It was the song they'd first slow-danced to at their favorite bar and grill in town. And it fit them. So Marie sang 'A Love That Will Never Grow Old' by Emmylou Harris and he tightened his arms around her and sighed with soul deep contentment at the sound of her singing to him.

The rest of the X-Men present watched in awe as Wolverine sat holding her, rocking her gently in his lap as she sang to him, looking peaceful and content. Marie was never the least bit afraid of Wolverine. And she was the only thing that calmed down and brought Logan back. Even before they admitted to themselves that their feelings were well beyond friendship it had been only Marie's presence that could bring Logan back from his feral state. He turned frantic and scared if she wasn't around and when afraid the Wolverine lashed out with violent ruthlessness.

Once the song was over, Marie kissed Logan's temple and whispered in his ear. "Honey, it's time to go home now. It's not good for the baby or me to be out here in the night air. And you need a shower."

It was Logan who lifted his head and looked at her with clear golden hazel eyes. He nodded and stood them up then scooped her up in his arms and carried her to the jeep that Pete had driven her there in. He settled her in the back and got in beside her with a nod to Pete that it was time to go.

"You think the jet will fly back okay or should you all come with us?" Pete asked Scott as he went to the driver's side.

"Just get them home. If the jet's not working, we'll call for a pickup," Scott told him. "They need some space."

Pete nodded and drove him, Logan and Marie back to the mansion. After a long shower and some serious lovemaking the couple collapsed on their bed and fell to sleep. As it turned out, the jet was just a bit banged up but no engine damage and thus the others were able to fly home.