Author's Chapter Notes:
Part 6 is up people *g*. Only one more to go...
Ok. So there were eyes on them as they descended the stairs. She could cope with that. There were a few jealous glances as well, from both sides, which was rather flattering. Though it probably wasn't a good sign that as soon as they walked through the entrance of what, for one night only, had become the glittering delights of a ball room, both of them made a direct line to the alcohol. But you know, these things were never perfect.

She knocked back her first drink with a flick of her wrist, fingers already fumbling for her second. He was already halfway through a bottle of something that looked like it was probably illegal outside of Europe.

Then they both hovered.

She sneaked a glance at him. Yup. He was still there. Still looking all manly and James Bond in his tux. Only with more hair. Ok so maybe not quite James Bond. More like the love child of James Bond and Elvis. Muttonchops in a tux. Except that, y'know, it wasn't genetically possible and oh god why was she thinking such things? It was not good.

Around them music throbbed and lights flashed. Some people were dancing. Others were chatting. Kitty was covertly eyeing up Bobby. Bobby was flirting outrageously with John. Storm was a serene presence at the edge of the room, a watchful eye over the more boisterous groups of students. Kurt was deep in discussion with the Professor. Hank was bopping away by himself in a corner, glasses clutched in one hand, pina colada in the other. Everyone looked to be having a great time. Everyone but them.

Rogue felt horribly awkward. She could talk to him. She could *always* talk to him. It was *Logan* for chrissakes. Grouchy, snarly, muscles-in-a-wifebeater Logan. So why was it that now he was hers to talk to for the night, she stood dumbly silent beside him? She was constantly aware of his presence, she could almost feel the heat radiating off him, yet she was unable to tear her gaze away from the nail polish on her toes. Which she really should have redone, she realised. It looked chipped and-

"They look like they're havin' fun."

Oh god he spoke. Now she was gonna have to think of something witty and intelligent to say back.

"Yeah..."

...and that could probably go in the hall of fame. Nice one Rogue, your Nobel prize is in the post. What the hell did people say at times like these? Think, girl think! 'You come here often?' Nah – that would be stupid. 'You want another drink?' But he already had one. Argh! Say something...anything! Something that didn't involve 'Excuse me. I don't mean to sound forward, but do you mind if I rub up against you and get myself off?' Because she had the feeling he might just say... Oh god it was really *not* the time to go there. Coherent thought. Coherent..."You wanna dance?"

"Uhh..." Actually, he looked like he would rather chew off his own leg. "Well it's-"

"Don't worry." Oh god. Back paddle back paddle! Slug drink. "It was a stupid suggestion." More drink. "Really."

And now he was looking even more awkward, if that was at all possible. Time to bail! "Maybe I ought to go. Leave you to chat with..." Who? The wall? Everyone else was making a concentrated effort to avoid them... no doubt orchestrated by Jubes who kept giving very un-subtle thumbs up gestures every time Rogue caught her eye. Even Jean and Scott were nowhere to be seen, although that was probably more to do with the fact that Scott was still trying to explain the threesome from earlier. More drink. *Lots* more drink.

"What you thinkin' about kid?"

Now would be a good time to lie, her brain told her. Unfortunately her mouth decided not to listen. "Threesomes." Seriously. What was *wrong* with her?

Logan stiffened. "Is that why the yeller spark plug over there keeps winkin' at you?"

"She... No!" He didn't still think that...? Crap. Crap crap crap. How did she get herself into these things? Oh god he was still looking uncomfortable, an explanation was needed. "She's just happy that you and I..." she hesitated. You and I *what* exactly? Now was not the time for declarations of love. "That we... uhh..."

"We what?"

"We...Oh look, another drink!" She grabbed it and downed it all in one go. Trying to ignore the more than slightly woozy feeling it gave her. "I'm going to go and talk to...to...Kitty over there." She pointed, turned, and sped... possibly stumbled, away.

What the hell was she doing? He had been standing right next to her, looking all hot and y'know...manly, and she was running away? Was she crazy? Was she-

"Marie."

Oh that would be his hand on her shoulder. Oh god. "Yes?" she squeaked.

"Changed my mind. Let's dance."

Dance? What, as in coherent patterns of movement that required coordination? Eeep! She needed a body double or something. She tried protesting. "I didn't really mean it, before when I suggested..."

But he was already leading her on to the floor.

And the room was spinning. Or was that her? She didn't really think she was up to dancing...but...oh. Maybe. Maybe if he was gonna wrap his strong arms around her like that. Yes. That would help. He was so warm. So solid. Smelt so damn good.

"This ok?"

Hell yeah! Wooohoo! She tried to resist the urge to do something completely inappropriate like stick out her tongue and lick his neck.

"Marie?"

"Uhh, yeah. Yes it's fine." It'll be a hardship, but I'll cope.

Then the music slowed and she pressed a little closer, feeling the length of his body against hers. Yes, she could do dancing. Moving her hips in time with his. God that felt good. Especially when his arms shifted slightly, hands sliding lower than could be considered platonic. Wow, she could really get into this. She snuggled her face against his chest, moving so that she was flush against him and... oh.

Was that...?

He shifted slightly. Wouldn't catch her eye.

"Logan?" But she didn't move away. He didn't let her either. Probably seeing as she was the only thing between him and a room full of eager eyed perverts.

"Are those your...uhh...claws sugar, or are you just happy to see me?"

"Well you are wriggling up against me. What did you expect darlin'," he breathed into her ear.

What did she expect? She expected to wake up any minute. She expected him to say, 'yeah Jean, I've wanted you since long before my eyesight got bad'. She expected him to rip off his Logan mask to reveal that he was Tom Cruise before confirming he would self destruct in thirty seconds. She expected -

"And if you keep on movin' like that darlin', I aint gonna play nice."

*Meep*

Did he just say what she thought he said? Did he just...?

She moved against him again, just to make sure, and he let out a soft growl. The one that did nice things to her insides. Made them go all fluttery. She had to resist the urge to melt in his arms as all sense and reason flooded south.

"M'rie?"

"Mmmm?"

"You wanna get outta here?"