Creed wasn’t a complicated man.

He did whatever he wanted, when he wanted and that was about all there was to it. Yeah, he followed around with Magneto and the Brotherhood, but that was only because he chose to and it was a mutually beneficial relationship. He got free room and board, a decent paycheck and he got to kill and maim on a regular basis. Didn’t get much better than that.

So when Magneto told him to infiltrate a Weapon X military facility in order to break out a mutant of extraordinary power, he didn’t question it, just thought, “Hey, finally a chance to get a little payback at the people who had fucked him over all those years ago.” Seemed an easy enough gig; get in, get the target, and kill as many of the lab bastards on the way out the door as possible. Simple. He liked simple. Only, there had been, complications.

He hadn’t expected to find himself cellmates with the runt and his x-geek doctor buddy, hadn’t expected Magneto to send in the witless wonder for backup, and spending over five fucking months in the place sure as hell hadn’t been on the damn agenda either. He liked to be the one dishing out the pain, not the other way around. Not that it bothered him much either way, he could take it, just as well as he could dish it out. All those five months had done was add fuel to an already roaring fire and as soon as he was out of that cell he’d gone and found every single nurse, doctor, guard who had a part in his “testing” and skinned them from head to foot.

Then, he’d gone to find the target and figured he’d might as well share his rage with her guards too. Why not? Best fun he’d had in years. Had nothing to do with seeing her being beaten half to death in front of him, or of the stench of the guy dripping all over her, driving him berserk. If he could go back and do it again he would have made it last, would have taken his time. The sound of the guard’s neck cracking and the feel of his body going limp had been satisfying in the heat of the moment, but really was quicker than the bastard deserved.

And wouldn’t you know it the damn clawed pipsqueak had to turn up, like always, and mess with his plans. An entire facility crawling with mutants needing saving and he had to fucking choose her and he could smell how bad the Wolverine wanted her, he just reeked of it, so he had to alter his tactics slightly. It was okay though, just all part of the game, and he loved himself a good fucking game.

Only problem was, he hadn’t counted on the girl becoming a player instead of a pawn. Had he known that she was going to give him this much trouble, he would have told Magneto to fuck off and get some other chump for the job. He didn’t need this sort of aggravation, he didn’t need the smell of her driving him insane to the point that he found himself doing weird things like saving her life and shit, didn’t need all these strange thoughts he'd been having, and he sure as hell didn’t need to watch her throw herself all over the fucking runt. In general, he wasn’t a complicated man, but damn if she didn’t make him complicated and he didn’t like it, not one stinking bit.

He growled low as a smell hit him; he wasn’t in the mood for company right now.

“Magneto’s getting anxious. He’s starting to wonder what’s taking you so long,” Wild Child whispered, eyes surveying the area, “I got that thing you wanted. So, what’s the play?”

He glared at the pointy eared mutant. “Play is you keep your trap shut. You talk to damn much and too damn loud.” Sabertooth looked over to see if the runt or the girl had caught wind of the conversation. Granted, he knew Wolverine was already suspicious about why he was hanging around, but lucky for them he’d been adequately distracted by Rogue, which kept him from prying too much into things he shouldn’t.

“Paranoid much Creed or is the jealousy finally starting to get to you?”

God his voice was grating. Like nails on a freaking chalkboard and always with that little lick on the end like he was going to bust out laughing any minute. One of these days he was going to shred that grin off his damn face.

“Just be fucking ready when I say so,” he growled, then stomped off to another part of the woods. To get away from the sniveling hyena, he told himself. The fact that the new position gave him a better view of the girl had nothing to do with it.

Right now she was helping re-bandage a wound on one of the rugrats, making silly faces as she did so, causing the tyke to squeal in delight, the sound like razors on his ear drums. He winced. Did she have to do that? They made enough damn racket without any extra motivation and she looked ridiculous, puffing out her cheeks and crossing her eyes.

He snorted. What the heck was wrong with him; standing on the outskirts, watching her like a sad pathetic waste of a man. Any other time he’d just waltz right in and take what he wanted. And yeah, he wanted her, who fucking wouldn’t? So why didn’t he? He frowned. Complications.

He needed to kill something.

Rogue had finally finished with the bandage and sent the kid off, but was now standing there with a weird smile on her face. He followed her line of sight to find she was staring at the Wolverine. He felt his frown deepen and watched as Logan lifted his head up and looked at her, a knowing grin on his face when he caught the girl staring at him. And Sabertooth had all the goo-goo eye’s he could handle. A deep growl rumbled through his chest as he stalked towards his prey.

He and the runt kept talking about having it out, well now was as good a fucking time as any.