Returning to reality was a bit like falling down a long black tunnel and suddenly her vision was full of bright florescent light and she found she couldn’t breathe. Panicked, she looked down and saw the cause of her lack of respiration. He was laying knocked out on her chest, three claws still embedded deep within her right lung. With a big heave she knocked his body off of her like it was as light as a feather. Her collar must still be turned off.

Free of the obstruction she watched in vague fascination as the wounds in her chest quickly closed and allowed her to take in a deep gasp of air. She must still be running off of the Wolverine’s healing powers because her own never would have healed that so rapidly. With oxygen once again flowing properly to her brain, the fog in her head cleared and she remembered what had happened. Cyber had taken over. Wolverine had healed her brain. She’d locked all the voices up. Logan!

She dashed over to where his body lay sprawled out in the middle of the cell, pressing a hand to his chest and putting an ear over his mouth. Nothing. Don’t you dare die on me dammit!

She growled loudly, putting her hands on his chest and pressing down, over and over before moving up to close his nose and blow a breathe into his mouth; mimicking what she’d seen the doctors do when one of the mutants she was absorbing decided to die too quickly for their liking. She felt a hand pull at her shoulder and turned around to attack whoever was trying to interrupt her. It was the blue one.

“Keep your furry mitts to yourself blue boy.” Her voice came out scratchy and coarse from lack of use and she startled a bit at the sound of it, her hands coming up to cover her mouth.

He stared at her, eyes wide, looking just as surprised as she was. She couldn’t recall the last time she’d spoken in sentences out loud. Her captivity in the lab had reduced her vocabulary to one word statements, usually cried out in pain or more recently nothing but growls and whimpers.

“Well, seems the girl can talk after all,” she heard a rough voice say from over her shoulder. She turned and saw the hairy one staring at her with interest, too much interest. She narrowed her eyes and growled at him, but before she could say anything she felt the blue one starting to push her away from the body again. She grabbed his wrist and tossed him halfway across the cell.

“Don’t touch me!” she yelled, feeling a panic set in as she noticed the hairy one and his friend moving in closer, their bodies tense. If it came to a fight she wasn’t sure she would be able to take on all three at once, at least not in enough time to help Wolverine, not in enough time before the lab people turned her collar back on. They didn’t like her to absorb things that they didn’t force upon her. They wouldn’t be happy she had absorbed the clawed man. She winced when she thought of what they had done to her the last time she displeased them.

“I have to help him!” She hated how pleading her voice sounded, but she didn’t know what else to do. Finally sane enough to talk again and she was begging. She didn’t need the voices in her head to call her pathetic this time.

The blue one had gotten up and was limping slightly back over to them, “If you will permit me, I can aid him.” He kneeled down next to her, “My name is Doctor Henry Phillip McCoy, but my friends call me Hank or Beast.” He gave her a fanged smile and she felt herself relax slightly. “Wolverine is a friend and a teammate. I will not let any harm come to him.”

He was the one who had helped her before, when she first got tossed into the cell with them. He had tried to protect her, she couldn’t smell a lie on him, and Wolverine still wasn’t breathing, he was running out of time. She nodded and stood up, moving out of the way so the Doctor could get to work, “I’m Rogue. Help him.”

She felt a sniffing near her shoulder and jumped, turning around in a crouched position ready to attack, glaring at the one with the strange ears. His eyes danced with amusement as he leaned in closer.

“I’m Kyle, but they call me Wild Child here in the fun house,” he nodded towards the hairy one, “The smelly one over there is Sabertooth, but you don’t have to worry about him. He’s all bite and no bark.” Sabertooth’s response was to let out a loud growl that sent the man scuttering back into his corner of the cell.

“Idiot,” he snorted, then turned to look at her, “Names Creed. Ignore the mentally challenged hyena. They forgot to give him his meds again.” He cast a glare back towards the corner, before turning to Hank, “Runt gonna make it doc? I’d hate to go on living without the satisfaction of killing him myself.” Rogue growled which only made Sabertooth smile. “Besides, think his new pet here would miss him. I swear if she starts crying I’m going to start breaking things.”

“If anyone’s going to be crying it’s going to be you,” she snarled, diving towards him, which is exactly what he must have been going for, because he was ready and instead of knocking him over like she hoped, she found herself caught in his arms. He turned her, twisting her arms behind her back hard and holding them there with one hand, using his other arm to wrap around her waist and pull her close against his body. She jumped as she felt the wet trail of a tongue along her neck and the hot breath along her ear.

“I won’t be as easy to take down little girl,” he whispered, causing the hair on the back of her neck to stand up, “But if you want to try, I’ll play with you anytime.” She felt the arm around her waist loosen as the hand moved up to paw at her breast. Rogue saw red. She contemplated turning her head to make their faces touch, but decided that was one mind she definitely did NOT want running around in her head by choice.

“Let’s play then,” she growled, the hands behind her back twisting to grab onto the arm holding them there and then using all her strength lifting and throwing Sabertooth over her shoulder, into the concrete wall, watching in satisfaction as he hit with a loud crack and then fell to the ground. After a few moments, he pushed himself up, shaking his head, then looked up to scowl at her with feral eyes.

Rogue smiled. “Here kitty, kitty,” she taunted, causing Wild Child to laugh in amusement. She cast a smile to him in the corner before turning back to her new playmate. Creed’s eyes narrowed and then a grin formed on his face as he slowly stalked towards her again, “Be careful what you wish for girly.”

They were inches away from each other when she felt the collar turn back on and then electricity shooting through her body, knocking her to the ground. She grabbed and clawed at the silver band. She looked around the room and saw the others in much the same state, except Wolverine, he was deathly still in a room full of burning, howling mutants. The sight caused a cold fear to run through her and then with a renewed sense of determination she forced herself to stand up, feeling the electricity intensify, she dropped back down to one knee. She had to get to him, had to make sure he was okay.

Fighting against the pain, she got back onto two feet and slowly made her way towards Logan’s body, screaming when they increased the current even harder to try and get her to the ground. Her body felt like liquid fire, every single molecule burning up alive, but the one thought that she had to get to him, she just had to, driving her forward, beyond any sense of self preservation. If it hadn’t been for Sabertooth’s snarl, she wouldn’t have even noticed when the guards came in. Just a little bit more and she would be there.

The sudden stop of current from the collar caused her to stumble forward, falling on top of Wolverine. She looked down at his chest, staring intently, not feeling the guards grabbing at her arms, or hearing the gunfire, as Sabertooth lashed out, beyond the pain of the collar, at one who got too close. Just staring, waiting, hoping, and when she saw the small movement of the chest rising, pulling in a breath, she felt a wave of relief wash through her. He was breathing. He’d be okay.

Then she was suddenly flying backwards as the two guards pulled her up. “Come on girly, time to get you fixed,” one said as they dragged her to the door. She stuck her feet in, causing them to jerk to a stop. The guards looked down at her, “Now be a good filthy mutant and do as you’re told. Don’t make us hurt you.”

Before Rogue would have just let them take her and thought nothing of it, but her mind was clear now. The black spots weren’t clouding her thoughts, her own fear wasn’t overpowering her senses and the voices weren’t dragging her down anymore, in fact, there was only one left in there now, beside her own, and that was the Wolverine and he was begging for a fight.

“Don’t fucking touch me!” she growled, using all her weight to knock into the guard to the right, toppling him over, and then kicking out the knee of the guard to her left. She didn’t have her powers, but she had the Wolverine guiding her actions, telling her where to strike, she could at least make an impact before her stamina gave out on her. For now, the adrenaline was pumping and she lunged for the guard closest to her, grabbing onto his gun and slamming it up into his face.

They hadn’t expected this and she was able to knock down another guard with a kick underneath the legs causing him to tumble straight onto Sabertooth. He started screaming as the electricity from the collar took hold and Rogue watched as Sabertooth turned a head to stare at the guy frying to death on his back, a painful chuckle rumbling through his chest at the sight of the man’s torment, the sound vibrating off the walls of the cell. The smell of fear suddenly flooded the room causing Rogue to smile. They should be afraid.

The sounds of footsteps running down the hall barely caught her ear before the room was swarming full of guards. She moved so she was standing in front of Logan’s body.

“What, all of you just for little ol’ me?” she taunted, the electricity in her collar suddenly coming back on and knocking her to a knee. “Now that ain’t fighting fair,” she gritted through the pain. The guards parted and a man in a lab coat walked in with a large syringe.

“Now then Rogue, what do we have here,” he said, walking to stand in front of her, staring down at her with intrigue and anger in his eyes. Rogue recognized him immediately as the man who was in charge of her "testing" and a fury took hold of her. She tried to make a lunge, but the electricity surged keeping her down on her knees. He used a boot to nudge Wolverine’s body on the floor, a frown on his face. “You know you nearly ruined five months of hard work we've put in on the Wolverine. We’ve been working on breaking him down, trying to bring the animal back, so we could control him once again. It’s been harder this time. He’s been fighting it.” He glared down at the body before turning back to her.

“Such a small, annoying problem you’ve become to us now. But maybe it’s not all lost.” The current turned off long enough for him to quickly plunge the syringe into her neck, the drug burning as it flowed into her body. She could feel the world start to slowly tilt on its axis. The drug was quick.

“This time, we’ll make sure to destroy you so much, that not even Wolverine’s healing can bring you back. And then, when the time’s right, we’ll let him watch as you die. It worked once to break him, judging by what we’ve seen of your interactions with each other, it will work again.”

“You fucking bastard,” she whispered, past the haziness of the drugs, letting out a long stream of expletives, then louder, “You pitiful excuse of a man, hiding behind your hired guns and your drugs because you're afraid! All of you, scared of what you don't understand, what you'll never understand and jealous because you wish you had that sort of power! You'll never break the Wolverine!" She felt herself stumbling over her words, "Everyone, every mutant in this room is ten times the man you’ll ever be, including me!”

His eyes blazed at her in anger and she forced a smile across her face. She wasn't sure if it was her or the Wolverine talking. “I will see the end of you, little man, and the last sight you will ever fucking see will be me bathing in your blood, laughing over your broken, weak, pathetic corpse.” She drew up the last of her energy to slowly stand to her feet, leaning haphazardly towards him, “And if you fucking mess with anyone in this room, so help me I will gut you where you stand and leave your body for the crows.” She leaned in so her lips were right next to his ear, hearing the guards jumping to his defense, and whispered, “You don’t scare me anymore sugar.”

The hard butt of a gun came crashing down on her face, knocking her to the ground and then everything was black.