She had to get out of there.

She slammed through another tree like it was paper, sending her in a spin midflight, but not stopping her. Her supercharged healing powers quickly repaired the physical damage, but her mind was far from okay.

The smell of a sun ray, sound of a bee’s wing, every single tiny molecule buzzing in her brain, all being recorded, calculated. How could Creed stand it? She couldn’t tell where the human part of her ended and the animal began. Was this what a wolf felt like, running through the woods, driven by pure instinct, taking in every single impression the senses offered to be classified as friend or foe? Fight or flight? Kill or fuck?

She felt the burning red of embarrassment flush across her face again. God, how could she ever go back? Finally deciding that she had put enough distance between herself and him, she stopped and found herself at the edge of a great ravine, raging river flowing in the bottom. She perched on a large rock nearby, struggling to find a way to stop the influx of information that was being thrown into her mind. She tried closing her eyes, only to start tasting the wind. She put her hand over her ears and her nose was assaulted ten times worse. Where Cyber and Logan’s senses had leaned towards the human side of things, making them forceful but eventually tolerable, Sabertooth’s obviously leaned towards the animal side and trying to handle the sudden intensity of the world around her was overwhelming.

Granted, it had perhaps saved their lives. Maybe that was worth the embarrassment of it all.

Sabertooth had been right. She didn’t care about hurting him and because of it, when he hit her the second time and the anger exploded, she had no underlying emotion to grab on to for control. She lost it and that brief touch had been enough. Apparently her power reacted faster when the victim was willing.

“Rogue?”

The soft whisper came like a scream in her ear. She winced at the sound, unable to stop the growling in her chest. It had hurt. Rogue, was that who she was? No, Victor, she was Victor now, wasn’t she?

A growling in her head. You’re not Victor. You’re Rogue. You’re Marie.

The voice in her head sounded distant, distracted. He was busy, fighting some darkness in her head, darkness with piercing yellow eyes. She winced. It hurt, the fighting.

Give it up runt. She’s MINE.

More growling. Lots of growling. Too much growling. Shut up! Just shut up! And suddenly there was a wall and the voices were gone, for now. They had been too loud, everything was too loud. In her head, outside her head. The pounding, thumping, drumming, banging so, so loud, thru her chest. What was that?! She started ripping at her chest, trying to get to the source of the noise that was driving her insane. Two hands grabbed her wrists tightly.

“Rogue! Stop it! Calm down!” She looked up to find two dark eyes narrowed in concern. A face, she recognized it. The voice. Logan.

“Lll..oggan?”

“That’s right kid. It’s me,” he sighed, obviously comforted by her using his name, “What’s wrong Rogue? Why are you tearing at your chest?”

“There’s something wrong in there, it’s loud, so loud! Something beating.” He looked down towards her chest, cocking his head, listening, then gave her a funny look.

“You mean your heart?”

She frowned at him and growled. Did he think she was that stupid? “I know what my heart sounds like and that’s not fucking it!” she roared, the sound of her own voice causing her to wince in pain again, "It must have been the lab, maybe they put something inside of me." He raised an eyebrow at her, then turned to press an ear to her chest.

“Nope, just your heart, sounds normal to me,” he said, looking at her funny again. She didn’t like it and tore away from him, running straight into the middle of a crowd of people who had gathered and the thumping was suddenly a full set of drums, all beating in different rhythms pounding on her brain. Was it really heart’s beating? God, they were so LOUD. She had hyper senses thanks to Cyber, and had taken on Logan’s for a time, but this was something altogether different! How could a person think with all that pounding? She could hear every single pump of the muscle, the swish of blood moving thru veins, then the thump of the muscle clenching again. She could hear the pitter patter of faulty valves, could hear the louder drum with a mechanical hum, a pacemaker?

She took a deep breath to try and calm herself. It wasn’t the brightest idea because the pounding in her head was nothing to the scents that assaulted her nose. She coughed, gagged, choking on it. It was like her nose had been turned into a microscope, smelling every individual molecule, taking it in to be analyzed, categorized. She leaned down, sniffing at the grass, only it didn’t smell like just grass. It was a hundred scents rolled into one small blade and she could smell each and every single one of them.

“Rogue?”

She winced again at the sound. It was the blue one again. He was crawling towards her slowly. She took a small sniff and wrinkled her nose as what she used to know as “Hank” smell broke down and became a million different scents. She could smell the bacteria, decay of dead flesh from his leg wound, she could smell the blood flowing thru his veins, could smell the cells of his skin, and something, a soft smell, something familiar.

She sniffed at herself and was able to find it. The strange smell, she tried focusing on it, to figure out what it was, letting it branch out and realizing she could smell it on others as well. All slightly different, but underling the same and it calmed her. Was this her pack? Her family? She sniffed around the group, crawling over to a small girl nearby. The girl eyed her with panic and fear on her face, but then when she had started sniffing at her shirt, the whimpers of terror erupted into a fit of loud giggles. It hurt her ears, so she growled and moved on, crawling away from the crowd, holding her head in her hands.

It was too much. Too much input and the wall she had built before was starting to crumble and she could feel the Wolverine and Sabertooth fighting each other in her head again, feel the black wave of memories start to seep in thru the cracks. She didn’t want them, didn’t want to know what it was like in the deep recess of Creed’s mind, in that darkness that was slowly creeping closer.

Small, whispered conversations were like loud narrations in her head. The group was scared of her, didn’t know what was going on. She was scared too. There was so much input! How did Sabertooth do it? How did animals do it for that matter? She remembered after she had absorbed Cyber, how it was like a blind person stepping into the brightest light, her new hyper senses giving so much extra information, it had been painful. For some reason the collar had no effect on that new ability and it had taken her weeks to learn to push the unnecessary to the back of her brain. There was no way she could do that now, there was just too much!! She felt like her head was going to explode trying to analyze it all.

“Well how was I supposed to know!”

“Logan, now really isn’t the time.”

“I want you gone Creed, NOW, and take the laughing hyena with you!”

They were arguing and it was like nails on a chalkboard. She needed to do something, sitting still was driving her mad. She needed to take her mind of everything assaulting her senses. She needed to kill something, badly. And as soon as the thought crossed her brain, her senses were out searching, reaching for prey. She could taste the fear dripping off people like the sweetest wine, intoxicating! She growled, smiling and she looked around. Who would it be?

She took in a deep breath and that’s when she noticed it, something that didn’t belong, her eyes narrowed, something HUMAN and she snapped, lunging into the group of mutants, tossing and clawing at anything getting in her way, and then she had him! His weak pathetic smell rising up into her nose drenched in hate and panic.

She crashed into him, knocking him to the ground, straddling his chest as she grabbed his head in her hands. She leaned forward and took in a deep breath. He wasn’t one of the pack. He wasn’t one of them. He was human. He was prey. He was the enemy. She pressed her forehead against his, staring into his eyes that were looking at her with both fury and fear. “Gotcha,” she whispered, then leaned back and twisted, reveling in the satisfying crunch of his neck snapping.

Then she felt two bodies slam into her and she was flat on her back on the ground, Wolverine and Sabertooth both pinning her to the ground, being careful not to touch her skin, their combined strength and weight outmatching her own. She twisted and kicked, trying to get free, but unable to budge the two mutants.

“Hank?” Logan gritted, through clenched teeth, having to use all his concentration on keeping her subdued. She saw the blue doctor limping towards the body. That was HER kill! They couldn’t’ have it!! She fought harder and was momentarily dazed as an elbow crashed against her temple. Logan growled and Sabertooth just shrugged.

“Let me go!” she snarled, once her head cleared again, “He’s my kill! He’s just a stinking human! Let me go!!” The surprise at her statement caused the weight pinning her to loosen and she took the advantage to push free, crouching to lunge for the human, but Logan moved to stand between her and the man’s body. “Out of my way runt!” she growled. His eyes narrowed at her.

“She’s right...RUNT,” Sabertooth said, his voice twinged with amusement at Rogue’s use of the word, “He’s a human. Looks like he’s got some kind of tracking device on him.” He held out a small contraption that he had taken from the man’s pocket, crushing it in his large fist.

“How do you know this person is indeed a human?” Hank asked unable to hide his curiosity.

“His smell. He don’t smell right,” Sabertooth grunted.

“You mean to say you can tell if someone is a human or mutant, simply from their smell?”

Sabertooth glared at the corpse and nodded, “Yeah, human stench, kinda hard to miss,” and he spat on the body, “Never got close enough to the group to notice this one before.”

“Fascinating,” Hank looked back down at the body, “His deception, we never would have known. He has a collar on like everyone else.”

“Must have heard us coming, stripped down and put a collar on when Rogue and I were rounding up the survivors,” Logan said, still eyeing her warily. He obviously wasn’t going to let her claim her kill and it was making her very pissed off. When she saw they were going to move the body, she reached her limit.

“He’s mine!” She lunged for Logan, knocking him to the ground, her knees on either side of him, reaching up to claw at his face. His hands clamped around her wrists, pressing them back and behind her back, causing her to fall forward flat against his chest. She took a deep breath, getting ready to tear her arms away from his grasp when she stopped as the scent of him flowed thru her. My GOD, had he always smelled this good? The body a few feet away was all but forgotten for the one now laying underneath her.

She took another deep breath in, a rumbling purr forming in the back of her throat and she saw Logan’s eyes darken, the hands on her wrists suddenly letting go as if he had been holding a hot coal. She used the new found freedom to run her hands over his chest and shoulders, enjoying the feel of him strong and solid beneath her. He would make a good mate. Letting instinct drive her, she lay her body back down along the length of him, feeling as if they were too far apart, even though her body was pressed tightly against his own. Without thinking, her hips rolled against his, creating a delightful friction that sent a white heat coursing thru her body. She felt like she was drowning in the sensation and smell of him.

Her hands moved up to tangle in his hair, grabbing tightly as she continued rocking her hips against him. It wasn’t enough, she needed to be closer. She rubbed her cheek against his. He hadn't shaved in days and the roughness against her sensitive skin was like pure ecstasy. She shivered at the feeling of his hot breath on her throat, a soft moan escaping her lips. His body suddenly tensed underneath hers and she felt his hands clamp onto her waist, pulling her down hard against him. She moaned again and his lips brushed softly against her neck, the sensation pulling a purr from her chest.

“God Marie, you’re killing me.”

The whispered words caused her to stop. Marie. Killing. She was Marie, she was, what was she doing? What the fuck was she doing? She looked up and saw a wide variety of eyes staring at them in various degrees of amusement, embarrassment, and interest. Her eyes locked with Hanks and she was positive she could see a blush creeping up the mutants blue skin, then she looked over to see Sabertooth glaring at them with death in his eyes, arms crossed against his chest, and the sound of Wild Child’s laughter reached her still sensitive ears, causing a cold wave of embarrassment to rush thru her body quickly quenching the heat. Looking back down at Logan with wide eyes, she could feel the blush creeping across her face. She had to get of there, NOW!


And so she had taken off, flying thru the woods as fast as she could, putting as much distance between her and that intoxicating smell. Just the memory of it caused her to want to fly right back to him and continue what they had started and she had to reel herself back in. This was never going to work, she needed some control and so she sat on the rock, fighting with herself, with the smells and the sounds and focused on helping the Wolverine in her head lock Sabertooth in with the others.

It was exhausting work and by the time she got him inside the mental cage, hours had passed. The sun was starting to drop into the horizon and she could finally feel Sabertooth’s powers fading.

She smelled him long before he actually arrived, stopping a good distance away, leaning against a tree and watching her. She didn’t look at him, but instead closed her eyes and concentrated on the feeling of her senses fading back into their normal hyper awareness, for a moment feeling extremely vulnerable by the loss of input, but then thankful when she took a deep breath in and smelled only the simple smells of trees and dirt and Logan, strong, but not overpowering and not enough to drive her into a lust filled craze.

“It’s gone,” she finally said, looking over at him, “The powers have faded. I promise not to jump you.”

He raised an eyebrow at that and walked over, sitting down next to her on the rock. He lifted a hand up gently, then paused, his eyes asking if it was safe to touch her. She nodded slightly and his hand continued its path to grab her chin lightly, turning her face from side to side before stopping to look in her eyes and then finally satisfied by what he saw, letting her go.

“You’re eyes are back to normal,” he said gruffly. Had they been different? She must have taken on more of Sabertooth’s traits then she realized.

“I’m sorry for earlier,” she said, pushing down the rising embarrassment.

“It’s okay kid, I know it wasn’t you,” he said. He was wrong though, it had been. Well, it had and it hadn’t. She wanted him, she knew that much now to admit it, at least to herself and the smell of him had always been intoxicating to her, but with Sabertooth’s enhanced senses and animalistic nature she hadn’t been able to stop herself from acting out the fantasy’s that played in her head. It most definitely had been her, Sabertooth’s absorption had only lowered her restraint. She felt like she owed him some explanation.

“You smell good.” It was the only thing she could think to say.

He looked down at himself, the borrowed army fatigues covered in blood, gore, and dirt from the days events and then looked back at her in disbelief, “You’re kidding right?” She shrugged in reply, she didn’t know what else to say.

He raised an eyebrow at her the shook his head. “Well next time we pass a pig sty, I’ll jump in and have a good wallow, if it’ll help.”

She smiled. She didn’t tell him that she thought even that wouldn’t be able to cover the delicious woodsy scent that was all his own, but the image of him rolling around in mud was amusing enough to break the embarrassed tension that had hung over their heads.

“Come here,” he reached an arm around her shoulder and pulled her in to his chest. At first she stiffened, but when she took in the scent of him, it wasn’t overpowering and she was able to lean in and just enjoy the feeling of being held. After a few minutes he let her go and stood, stretching. “Ready to head back kid? We’ve made camp not too far away. Found an abandoned campground near a lake, some place called Wistigo.” He reached a hand out to help her off the rock.

“Where the heck is Wistigo?” she asked, grabbing his hand and jumping down.

“No idea, but we better get a move on if we want to make it before dark,” he said, eyeing the glowing horizon.

“I could fly us,” she said, unable to keep the amusement out of her voice at the look on his face at the thought, “It would be quicker.”

“Yeah, except I value my life, and judging by the path of destruction I followed to you, I think I’d rather walk,” he said, nodding towards the woods.

Rogue looked in the direction he motioned to find a large swatch of forest knocked over in a long line, as if a bulldozer had plowed through the area. She looked at Logan and shrugged sheepishly.

“Ooops?”