My name’s Marie.

Marie. He kept playing the name over in his mind, only stopping when he realized he was acting much like a teenage boy with a first time crush and he was too damn old for that, but looking at the girl, honestly, who could blame him. Besides the obvious fact that she was drop dead gorgeous. Right now, she was kneeling in front of a few of the kids they had saved, a huge smile on her face as they described the most recent events to her, using big hand motions and loud noises.

Her lab gown was shredded and soaked in blood, the jacket he had put on her, what seemed like years ago, providing only the littlest sense of modesty, hair all matted with blood and gore; she looked like she had gone to hell and back again and yet there she was with that giant smile on her face, laughing with these kids as if she didn’t have a care in the world, as if they all hadn’t been two seconds away from being blown to pieces, as if she wasn’t the biggest damn hero in the place.

The sound of the missle flying in had been too familiar and brought back too many suppressed memories that he wasn’t sure he wanted to remember. It was like a loud buzz that slowly grew into a high pitched scream and he had done the one thing he could think of before it hit, wrapped himself as tightly around Rogue as he could, hoping by some miracle that if her shield gave out, his body could take the damage and she would survive. It was in those last seconds she had whispered her name to him, her real name, Marie. A last gift in case this was the end.

When the explosion had hit, it was like the entire world had exploded in a loud thump, the floor vibrating so badly that everyone fell to the ground. He could feel the shield absorbing the impact, could actually watch as it concaved in slightly from the blow, the flames trying to tear at it and the loud suction of air as the sonic boom shattered across the area, but it had held. And when the fire had burned itself out and the smoke had started to clear, they were able to stand up and look around at the large crater all around them that was now where the facility had been. All that was left standing, was what had been in Marie’s magic bubble.

Everyone had started hooting and hollering after that, in joy for their own survival, in joy at the destruction of the place that had caused them all so much pain and suffering and Logan had looked down into those gorgeous eyes staring up at him as she smiled and said simply, “I did it.” And if he had ever doubted her before then, he would never do so again.

The survivors had all crowded around them then, wanting to give congratulations. Logan had kept them from touching her until she gave him the okay that she was once again back in control of her skin and then she had bombarded with hugs and kisses. He had to growl at a few overzealous ones, but he had never seen the girl that happy before and let her enjoy it for a moment.

And a moment was all they had. Though the lab was now destroyed it wouldn’t be long before the government got word of what had happened and he wasn’t naive enough to think this was the ONLY lab in existence. There would be a clean-up crew to come to make sure nothing was left behind that could fall into the wrong hands and to round up any escapees. He wanted to be as far away from the place as they could get by nightfall.

“Are you okay Miss Rogue?” a small voice floated to his ear and he looked over to see Marie swaying on her feet. He got there just in time to catch her as she started to fall.

“You alright kid?” he asked, watching as her eyes fluttered open to look up at him.

“Yeah, just had a bit of a dizzy spell. I’m sure it’s nothing.” She made to stand up again, but the look on her face told him she was at the limits of her strength, healing factor or no. He put an arm underneath her knees and picked her up, holding her to his chest.

“Think it’s time we got out of here. Hank’s probably worried sick by now,” he said. She nodded her head in agreement.

He got a few of the young men in the group to start rounding everyone up. It was slow going with such a large group, many of who were in pretty bad shape and Logan felt himself getting impatient at the progress they were making, but kept his grumbling to a minimum. It wasn’t all bad. He was rather enjoying having Marie in his arms, cuddled against his chest.

A small moan from her caused Logan to look down with concern. There was a small trickle of blood running out of her nose and her face was deathly pale. “Wore yourself out kid?” he asked, climbing over a pile of rubble as he carried her in the direction they had left Hank, their misfit group of survivors following behind him. She nodded slowly. “Ever done anything like that before?” She shook her head. That seemed to be the last of her energy as she pressed her face into his shoulder and he felt the muscles of her body loosen as she slipped into unconsciousness.

He frowned slightly looking down at her, deciding as soon as they got to a safe place he’d let her take on some of his healing energy. Her face still had some open wounds and bruising from the guard and he wasn’t sure if her weaker healing ability would be able to overcome whatever using all that power just now had done to her.

She was such a contradiction, he thought, staring down at her. She looked so innocent and fragile right now, cradled in his arms, so different from the fiery personality that had refused to leave without saving as many people as they could, who tore down the guards without even flinching an eye, who had gathered up more energy than he would have believed possible for a single person to contain to create a shield that had saved them all. And seeing her get the better of Sabertooth was going to be a memory he’d enjoy for the rest of his life. He was never going to let the big cat live that one down. He shook his head, wondering what the hell he was getting himself into with her.

When they finally got up the hill to where Hank sat, he could see the look of relief plain on the doctor’s face. To see Sabertooth and Wild Child had returned and were with him though set the Wolverine on edge. He growled at them before laying Marie gently down next to Hank.

“Can you give her a look over doc? She took quite a hit. Then, if you’re feeling up to it, might be a few others who could use your help.”

Hank was already checking Marie’s vitals. “Of course, send any in need up here and I’ll do what I can.”

“You know, I never would have thought that little thing had it in her. Could see the whole damn thing from here when it hit,’ Sabertooth said, eyeing her with approval. Logan moved so he was standing in front of Rogue, blocking the view, his eyes narrowing.

“Why are you still here Creed?”

“Well it sure as hell ain’t for the company. Thought I was gonna go crazy stuck here with the witless wonder and the mutant encyclopedia,” He leaned over so he could look at Rogue over Logan’s shoulder, “Granted, I’d say the company just improved quite a bit.” Wolverine growled and was just about to lunge for Sabertooth, when he heard it.

“Logan?”

“You and me Creed, we’re gonna have this out, soon” he ground out, forcing the claws to go back in, before turning to kneel next to Marie.

“Can’t wait,” Sabertooth replied, frowning as Logan took Rogue’s hand in his own. “But don’t keep me waiting too long lover boy,” he growled, stalking off back towards the woods with Wild Child following close behind. Logan watched as Creed leaned against a tree and looked over everything, as if he was waiting for something. He didn’t like it.

For the moment though, he turned his attention to more important things, “Hey kid, how you feeling?” he asked, pushing a stray lock of hair from her face.

“Like I got hit by a truck and run over by a train. Remind me to never do anything like that ever again Logan.” She let go of his hand so she could sit up, putting her arms behind her and leaning her head back to stretch her neck, groaning as the stiff muscles pulled and relaxed. The movement and noises caused the Wolverine to become very interested in the situation and Logan found himself standing up and taking a step back to regain a bit of control.

She didn’t seem to notice his reaction or if she did, she didn’t make any indication of it. “Don’t supposed anyone would have any water? I’m dying of thirst.”

He was going to have to have a talk to her about phrases you could not say when around a very feral, very interested Wolverine. Especially not when you were giving off scents like the ones she was throwing off, that he hadn’t even noticed until now.

Going and beating Sabertooth to a bloody pulp was starting to look like a pretty damn good idea, especially when the other option was to just jump her right then and there, in front of Hank and a dozen plus complete strangers. The doctor had obviously noticed his strange behavior and gave him a funny look, raising an eyebrow in question or disbelief, he wasn’t sure.

Apparently none of Hank’s books had told him that the adrenaline leftover from fighting was a huge aphrodisiac, especially to someone like him and well, when that explosion hit, his adrenaline was higher than it had ever been when he was in a cage. He was struggling and he was man enough to admit it.

The strong scent of Marie’s blood suddenly hit him and he looked down to see her nose bleeding profusely. Hank reacted quicker than him and quickly had her nostrils pinched and her head leaning forward, telling her to spit any blood out of her mouth.

He was back kneeling at her side, holding her hand. “Hey kid, I think you should touch me, take a bit of my healing powers.”

She shook her head sharply, looking up at him over Hanks furry hand which was still pinching her nose shut with what he was learning to recognize as her “no way in hell” stubborn look. His eyes narrowed and felt a growl in his chest.

“Dammit Rogue, we don’t know what using that much power might have done to you. You’re bleeding like a stuck pig, for all we know you got some kind of hemorrhage in your head, your face is still bruised and swollen in places from that beating you took from the guard. You look like fucking hell kid, so stop being so damn stubborn and just let me fucking help you!” He hadn’t meant to be so forceful, but the scent of her blood always had a habit of sending him straight on edge.

She pushed Hanks hand away from her face, causing the blood to once again flow freely down her face, which wasn’t helping Logan keep control at all. Her eyes were blazing now, “I could fucking kill you Logan and how do you think that would make me feel? Having you stuck in my head forever, knowing I was the one that ended your life! Knowing you would always be in there, but not where I needed you most, which is here, alive and breathing, in the real world. Not the ghost of you stuck in my brain tearing me apart. I got damn close to killing you once already, I’d rather not repeat the experience!” She made a move to stand up, but Logan put a hand on her shoulder and pushed her back down.

“Now you listen good,” he said, his eyes narrowing, “You’re not going to kill me. It’ll just be a few seconds, then I’ll get Hank to pull me away and everything will be fine, because if YOU die, I won’t have you in my head to keep me company. I’ll just have a gravestone to beat myself up over knowing that I could have saved you! I'll just have a God knows how long life to mourn you, knowing I'll never get to hear your voice again or see you glaring at me like you are right now and I'll spend the rest of my life wishing I could kill myself and knowing I can't, because you can't fucking kill me! So let me touch you. Take my power. You're not gonna hurt me.”

“God, you two bicker like an old married couple. It’s driving me fucking insane,” Sabertooth growled, knocking Logan out of the way, sending him flying across the ground, and then grabbing Rogue, hitting her hard across the face, “I don’t imagine you’d have any worries about killing me darling, so you need a bit of healing, here, fucking take it.” He hit her face again and Logan saw the rage start boiling in her eyes. Creed must have seen it to because he grabbed her face in his hands, and leaned down, kissing her hard.

The Wolverine went beserk and flew into Sabertooth, knocking him off of Rogue, stabbing one set of claws into Creeds chest as he did. They tumbled, clawing and thrashing each other, until they separated, crouched down across from each other, breathing hard, blood dripping everywhere.

“Rogue?” The concern in Hanks voice caused him to turn and look at her. Her face was completely healed; the nose had stopped bleeding, the bruising and swelling entirely gone, nothing but beautiful perfection, but her eyes had gone completely black, like Sabertooth’s and a low growl was coming from her chest.

Creed looked at her and nodded, as if satisfied his job was done, then turned to glare at Logan.

“There, all fucking healed. Problem solved. Can we get the hell out of here now?” With that, he turned and stomped back off towards the woods, thru the crowd that had gathered, growling at anyone who looked his way.