Apparently the years of not speaking meant that Rogue had decided, now that she had regained the ability, she was going to keep on talking and screw the consequences.

“That all you got pretty boy?” she taunted, her right eye was swollen shut, lip busted and bleeding down her chin. A few teeth felt a bit wobbly and stars were still dancing in front of her eyes and that was just what was wrong with her head.

“Don’t you know when to shut up!”

They had her in a small cell on her knees, hands handcuffed behind her back. A swift kick to the side doubled her over. God that hurt and she must be a glutton for punishment. At least it kept her thoughts away from Logan.

The last she had seen, he had been breathing, but that didn't mean a lot in a place like this, and the thought was gnawing at her insides. After she had regained consciousness from the drug, they hadn't taken her back to the cell with the others, instead, bringing her to this one on the other side of the compound. She didn't like it.

“You kick like a girl,” she spat, a thick glob of blood landing on the guard's shoes. He looked at it with disgust and brought a fist down across the side of her face, knocking her to the ground.

“If you know what’s good for you, you’ll stay down there and shut the fuck up.”

She knew she shouldn’t continue on, her body had taken a beating the past few days and they had only turned the collar back on once to let her heal, and that had been the first day after the incident with the lab doctor. At first she thought they weren’t going to do it, that she had finally pushed them to finish it, but in the end they still found her too useful a commodity to throw away.

Instead, as punishment, they had used and abused in her in more ways than she could count. Her body felt like one giant bruise and here she was, still talking the big talk, and she just couldn’t keep her mouth shut.

She slid her legs back underneath and used a shoulder and elbow to push herself up to a kneeling position again. She had to be certifiably insane.

“But sugar, we’re having so much fun.” She smiled at him and it tore all the barely scabbed wounds right back open again. The other guards were obviously starting to get slightly disturbed by the sight, she could see them fidgeting, not knowing whether to intervene or not. The sound of gunfire and bomb blasts coming from far off in the compound not helping the situation either. The fist came again, crashing down harder, and a loud crack as her head hit the concrete. Ouch.

A strangled cry in the corner turned the guard’s attention. Rogue quickly caught the girl’s eyes and shook her head slightly to let her know not to worry about her; that she needed to stay quiet. Otherwise, what the hell was she taking this beating for, if not to keep the attention focused on her and not on the three young girls huddled in the corner.

They had brought them in a few hours ago and the guards in charge of watching her weren’t too happy at having the extra charges thrust upon them with no explanation. Apparently something was going on, though no one was saying anything, and it was making them all on edge. The fact that they had been thrown in with her meant they were special for some reason, a reason important to the lab, but in each of their innocent faces all Marie saw was herself, all those years ago, before they had beaten and broken her, before the forced absorptions, before the tests and the pain and she’d be damned if she let anyone touch them while she was with them.

She had seen the guard she was playing with now eyeing them with that look in his eyes that she knew all too well. He’d been having a particularly fun time with her the past week and he liked a lot of pain with his pleasure. She still had the cuts and bite marks to prove it and he was eyeing the girls, barely covered in the thin lab gowns, like they were a new play toy he was ready to break in. So she’d done the only thing she could think of, handcuffed as she was. She walked over and head-butted his face, enjoying the crunch of his nose as she did and they had been at it ever since.

“You girlies want a bit of this?” he said, stalking towards them. Now that wouldn’t do. Using what strength she had she got back up, all the way to her feet.

“A bit is right, I’ve seen dogs with larger...” She didn’t get to finish the sentence as he whirled on her and pushed her up against the wall, his large arm pressing against her throat, choking her. She knew she was pushing him past his limit and she was no use to the girls dead, but she couldn’t think of anything else, and the sound of gunfire getting closer was giving her hope. All she had to do was hold out a bit longer, not get killed in the process, and keep talking which was a bit hard to do when your windpipe was being crushed.

“You just try to talk now you filthy mutant bitch,” he spat, his face right up in front of her own, just close enough to... “FUCK!”

Then she was falling, landing hard on the ground, spitting out a piece of the man’s nose. He looked down at her with death in his eyes and she gasped when the full weight of him fell on her, as he straddled her hips and started pounding her face in. She could vaguely hear the sound of some of the other guards trying to pull him off her, but he was berserk and the pounding continued.

Everything seemed to suddenly slip into slow motion. She couldn’t feel anything anymore, just heard the thunk, thunk of fists hitting skin, the muted yelling of the guards, the sounds of the girls in the corner crying, then the screaming, gunfire, and then the weight was suddenly off her chest and she looked up through swollen eyes to see Sabertooth standing over her, his eyes black and feral.

He had the guard that had been beating her in his grasp. He looked down at her and for a moment she thought she saw a flicker of concern pass over his face before he turned back to the guard. She must be hurt worse then she thought if she was hallucinating that the hairy one was actually worried for her. She watched as the man struggled in Creeds grasp, heard the soft pop of his neck breaking as the large fist squeezed tightly and then, a feeling of being lifted up, light as a feather, and just as everything was starting to go black she heard it.

"Put her the fuck down Creed."

Logan.

And she smiled as she fell into oblivion.