Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you everyone for reading! This is my first fight scene and it's all from Logan's POV but don't worry, we are going to hear from Marie soon and she really has some opinions to share. I got quite stuck with this chapter - hence the delay. But it's finally here and now the cliff hanger is resolved so on with the fic...
Oh god dammit, the stakes have just been upped and we are gambling everything here on this fight. I know God ain't given me any miracles before but I need one now.

That bastard Sabretooth is prowling around Marie, so as far as I'm concerned, the need to end this messed up situation now and get the hell out of dodge is 3 feet high and rising.

Look at him, stepping up to her, trying to intimidate her by gettin' too close. I don't know if he's showing' bravado or idiocy, don't he know 'bout her skin? He's got healing like me though, so I suppose if he touched her it wouldn't kill him, not right away, I don't think. I ain't seen anything that could kill me yet and it ain't for lack of lookin'.

Aww, damn. I just can't think about him touchin' her - I can't breathe up here, I can't get out, can't help her, can't stop him running his fingers over her hair, those grimy claws down her neck, that asshole needs to take his hands offa my...uh offa Marie.

I dunno what she's playin' at. She's just standin' there. Come on baby, stay strong. I just dunno, she can't run, can't fight back, can't call anyone for help, she's only got me and I'm stuck up this tree like a damn Christmas fairy. I ain't protectin' her like I should. Dammit all.

Mags is still blabbering on at me. He ain't lookin' where I'm lookin' and oh shit, that's done it. Sabretooth just snuck his paws down her back an' by the looks of her jumpin' and lettin' out that little scoff of disgust, I'm guessing the dickhead tried to cup her ass. But it looks like I ain't the only one who flipped into blind rage at the sight of that.

Magneto took his attention from me and stepped back to Marie, protecting his prey I suppose, we all know Sabertooth plays rough with his toys.

Mystique is heading over there too. You know I heard on the grapevine those two were havin' it off. Sick thought, but it looks like that might be so as Mystique is one pissed off mutant an' she's ova there tugging her man away from my girl. Thank Jesus.

* * * * *

Goddamn that girl is something. So that sicko Sabretooth was...well, anyway my girl wasn't gonna stand for that and she's smart. So when Magneto rushed over to stop Sabretooth mauling his new assassin-to-be my Marie reached up and musta touched Magneto under his cloak collar, I think, cos he dropped like a god damn rock. Well that was all well and good but it gave me a nice 50 foot drop from this pine tree. I healed pretty quick though, luckily bucket head hadn't bent my bones around this time so it was jus' the drop I was recovering from.

Well I jumped right into it and made up for lost time. Mystique stepped up and took me on first, I was just gonna claw her and carry right on because I owed Sabretooth a slow death for even thinkin' 'bout touchin' Marie but Mystique changed didn't she? Bitch turned into a bear again and this was a bear on steroids I'm tellin' ya.

But Marie, she was so quick. She looped the chain out from under the sleeve of her coat and I saw her throw it towards the damn bear. Now a chain, even a heavy one, won't knock out an animal that size but the chain, it flew up and wrapped itself around blue bitch's throat, choking her. I can't say that didn't do my head for a second before I realised it was Marie controllin' the chain. Turns out she gets mutants powers too an' she got a handle on Magnetos. Well Mystique transformed didn't she. But all creatures have to breathe and Marie kept that chain there and put her down for the count.

'Course, that left Sabretooth for me to deal with. Now I can take that mangy son of a bitch any day of the week, but here's where I got clever, or lucky, one or the other. See I knew just what he was after. I could smell it on him that he was very interested in Marie. He was transfixed, an' it made him reckless.

You'd think when I saw him goin' for her that I'd turn berserker or somethin' but ferals, we ain't stupid. You gotta ask yourself, what would help Marie in that situation? Sabretooth threatened my mate, so what would keep her protected - well, it ain't me gettin' my frustrations out in a go'round with that overgrown cat, that's for certain. Marie was the priority in all this, got it?

I ain't gonna relay it blow-by-damn-blow. But I cut his ass up and laid it down in the woods. Scattered all the pieces 'round too. He might heal, I dunno. But he ain't gonna be fighting us for a time that's for sure.

But Marie, she was so good. She told me how she tapped into her training when she absorbed Magneto, looked at him as a resource and jus' pulled out what she needed.

She said it was like stripping a corpse or claiming supplies from a conquered town. She sounded so I dunno, distant when she said it, like it was just part of the fight and didn't hurt her, but I dunno, I've made corpses an I've taken what I needed from them an I can't say it was practical or matter or fact. Didn't make for good sleep at night either, and she may have this training in her head but she's still just a girl really.

Shit. I don't know what to do with stuff like this, she needs someone who gets it. Who can help her y'know, understand and process this shit. Someone who knows how to be comforting.

All I did was pull her over to me across the truck an keep holdin' on to her.

Marie.

We made a good team there, she fits me well like she's made, like a ma... Like a mate, I .... In the fight, I recognised, I said. Oh damn. Oh hell, no. She's a good woman, she don't need no broken old messed up bad ass like me.

But really now, it's gone too far for that. I don't think we got an option anymore. Not really. I want to give her the option, I do. I mean, I can want her, but it's her choice. If she chooses me. Damn me, didn't remember tears, they sting, shit, look away, look away Logan, get it together.

I know I wanna keep her close but, it ain't safe now. Not when they're after her as some world class assassin. Not when they got Mags an' he can take me out any time he likes. I can't have her go through that again, absorbing assailants. Seein' me helpless pinned up a tree, not bein' able to stop that dirty....

Ain't it ironic, just when we asked for a safe place, God or whoever gives us a fuckin' ultimatum like this. With me she'd be runnin' all the time an never safe then. But it don't have to be like this.

I know somewhere she can go, they can help her there, help her with all those people she told me she got her head, with all the trauma and shit.

An I can go hunt down Mystique an I gotta find a mercenary for Magneto, we gotta take him out somehow.

I don't wanna do it, I don't but she's gotta go to New York.

We can't fly, an I ain't drivin' they know the truck and we ain't got time to forge the papers to get a new one. God damn, I'll have to sneak her onta a train.

But if I'm gonna be lettin' the geeks do Marie sittin' for a while, we're gonna need some funds. Funds for the travel, for her to keep her safe when she's down in New York. I ain't relyin on Xavier, I'm lookin' out for Marie. Then I need some serious cash to go hunting those bastards. Mercenaries ain't cheap either, an once I'm underground there's no poppin' up to play King of the Cage every 6 months. I got some money socked away but we need to get Marie outta here quickly.

Hey, she's shakin'. She's -

"Marie?"

"Come on darlin, we can't stop now, we gotta haul ass to the province line and get on outta here. Now baby, don't worry but we gotta get you outta here so we need cash money and we need it now. I don't wanna take ya in some dive bar, but darlin' I gotta fight so we're gonna make a stop on our way outta Dodge ya hear?"

Oh hell, that ain't a good look on her, no sir.
Chapter End Notes:
I was going to make them go together but a certain reviewer said she hoped they didn't separate, and that put the idea in my head! Sorry.