The moment Logan entered the kitchen, the words sprouted from his lips, "Ro, I need a ride." He didn't feel apologetic that it was the first thing he said to the barely-awake staff enjoying their morning cup of coffee.

Ororo almost choked on her warm drink. "What?"

Logan wasn't going to pretend. With a shrug, he answered her. "Neet to get my adamantium ass to Canada."

The weather witch narrowed her eyes at him. "The Bird runs on gas. Gas costs money. I don't want to abuse our spending power." She sounded serious, but she was obviously humoring him. Her usual coffee-buddy/bedmate Kurt even snickered. When Logan only responded with a glare, she put her mug down. "She's not a child, Logan."

Everyone in the entire mansion knew how easy it was to fall into a sarcastic argument with him, but Logan just nodded. "I know that, Storm." When his colleague just looked at him in fascination, he avoided the knowing look in her face by turning to the only blue mutant in the room. "Can you just bamf me to Canada?"

Instead of answering him, Kurt turned to his white-haired goddess with pleading eyes. "Mine shahtsi…"

"Kurt, now is not the time to use your German on me."

"I'll take you," someone piped in all of a sudden. All eyes turned to Scott who made his way to the coffeepot and poured himself a cup. "Just give me a few minutes to get ready." They heard him grumble about missing an episode.

Logan inwardly rejoiced and breathed a sigh of relief, but he just grunted in gratitude and retrieved his duffel bag from his room. He didn't even have to tell Chuck that he was leaving, maybe for good this time, but he had a feeling that the telepath knew what was really going on. (Just like Ororo did, and everyone else.)

A few minutes my ass, Logan wanted to hiss when Scott strolled in an hour later. He didn't want to argue with the only man who could take him to Rogue as soon as possible. Now, he actually wanted to be nice and polite. Scratching the back of his neck, he cleared his throat. "Uh, Scott, I... Just wanna thank y–"

"I'm not doing it for you," the mutant waved him off from the pit. After flicking a few switches, the Blackbird thrummed to life. "I'm not doing it for her either though."

Logan rolled his eyes when Scott told him to fasten his seatbelt, but when he saw that his personal pilot was trying to hold back a grin, he couldn't help but chuckle. "Are we actually entertaining you, Scooter? If yes, you should pay up."

"Give me an update, ok?" Scott remarked with a smile. "I hope you guys get in touch though. All of us would miss you. Even you and your hairy ass."

"Been peeking at the showers, eh, One-Eye?"

"Don't flatter yourself; you're not my type."

Logan let out a laugh. When Scott went into aviator mode, the clouds didn't do much to distract him from the jitters in his stomach. Since waking this morning, his body had went into automatic, eager to leave the mansion. With no one to talk to, his mind easily recalled what happened after seeing Mystique. Last night, Logan had been as serene as a still river when he slept in one of the guest rooms, burying himself in the Marie-drenched sheets.

Wolverine's complacency was due to the fact that his inner feral knew where Rogue was all along. Somehow, he did what Logan found hard to accomplish –trust Rogue that she can take care of herself. His inner feral was even more at peace to acknowledge the fact that she was, indeed, his missing other half.

Logan's only dream last night had been a conversation with the beast dwelling in his psyche.

That's why you gotta start treatin' me with respect, Wolverine said reproachfully. I'm not just some animal, not just an emergency hound dog.

Was Wolverine actually scolding him? Logan wondered, a bit distraught.

Stop separatin' us, bub. You're only makin' us go crazy with what you're doin'. If you can't stop this shit, I might not be able to help you. You wouldn't be able to help our mate, dammit.

Logan flinched. I just can't. You're too much. You–

I'm YOU.

Somehow, then and there, Logan woke up, and knew that from now on, he was going to have to start trusting himself. It was a peculiar yet unexpected epiphany, but for once, he didn't want to doubt what just happened.

Almost an hour later, Scott landed the plane. He opened the entrance for Logan. "I'll drop you off here so you can rent yourself a ride or something." He shrugged. "I figured you'd also want to surprise her."

Logan snickered. "You're thinking in advance; I like it."

"Unless you want me to puke on your jacket, you better stop flirting with me."

"I guess I'll see you around, Scooter."

"Just take care of her, Logan," Scott replied. When Logan made his way down the steps, he called out, "I want pictures of babies and I have to be the godfather, you hear?!"

Logan suddenly felt like his face was on fire as he threw his head back at the other mutant. "Good grief, Scott, you're thinking WAY ahead!" He could hear Scott laughing even as the plug door shut close. Quickly pacing backwards, Logan watched as the Blackbird lifted off the ground and sped away into the sky. His senses picked up on the movement of the bustling city nearby. Fishing for the rolls of cash in his jacket's inner pocket, he mumbled, "Now, to get myself that damn ride."


Rogue didn't know what to do when Karl told her that the bar would be closing that night. There would be no show, he said, but she knew he was just angry at her for skipping out for more than a week. But the man could only refuse the pretty lady for so long, and offered her job back to her in less than a few minutes. Her guitar was still in safe hands, and she eagerly practiced before leaving the place. She even gave Koren, the band vocalist, a hug before heading back to her motel. Hell, she even winked at the drummer who told her she needed to shed the 'Goth look'.

Rogue returned at Karl's only for her guitar, but she decided to stick around for a few days before heading to Anchorage. Whatever she was going to find there, she didn't know, but what the fuck ever. Anchorage made her feel nostalgic, in a way. Or maybe she really should just fly to Paris or London for vacation? It made her squeal in delight. Being away from the mansion really made her feel so cool and capable. She had her whole life ahead of her and she was going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Later that night, she played with the band and never took a break. Just as she expected, Karl tipped her good and she left the bar with a happy smile on her face. There had been no mystery woman waiting for her this time around, and she was glad. She didn't want any trouble for now.

It was freezing at this hour, and Rogue took her time walking back to Room 6. She never really did check out when Logan and Storm picked them up before. She asked the room to be cleaned regularly, and gave the promise that she would be back. She was glad that she did, because when she returned, her senses felt relieved she didn't have to deal with other people's odors on the walls, bed and bathroom. Scott's scent was already nearly gone, even more so her own. But it was comforting either way. It felt familiar. It was the place where she had decided to really live her life. Sure it might have been motivated by so many other things (Logan), but she had a choice in this place.

Her motel still nowhere near in sight, a truck suddenly stopped beside her on the road. Startled, she tried to keep her feet on the ground and not float when it gave her a honk. Pulling her coat tighter against herself, she yelled, "NOT INTERESTED!" She walked faster and groaned angrily when the truck kept in pace. She ignored the sound of the car window rolling down.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride, darlin'?"

It was probably because of the cold, why she couldn't seem to function properly. She just stood there, jaw hanging open. From the driver's seat sat Logan, who looked like he was stoned. His pupils were dilated as he regarded her with an expression she could only classify as ecstatic interest. "Logan? What are you doing here?" Fine, maybe Scott was right, but she didn't expect him to be here so soon. Not waiting for his answer, she resumed walking forward. Her heart sped up when she heard the pickup truck's door swing open and slammed shut. As much as she wanted to fly away, her body did not cooperate.

"Rogue!" Logan called. "Marie, just stop walking!"

"Go away, Logan!" When Rogue felt his hand on her arm, she turned around swiftly and glared at him. "What is it, huh? I told you what you needed to know. You didn't have to follow me for an encore!"

Logan cocked a smile at her. "Maybe I want to hear it again."

"SHUT UP!" Rogue yelled, shoved his chest away. He didn't budge. "You don't know what you're saying."

"Maybe I do."

A small part of her wanted him to give up and drive away, but Rogue knew she could never resist. That, and she really missed him. Sighing, she said, "Then talk."

Logan nodded and buried his hands in his pockets. He looked like he was really thinking about it. He gave her a wary look. "Let's… let's start over."

Huh? Rogue frowned. "What?"

Logan nodded and stood straighter. As if more confident, he repeated what he said, "Marie, let's start over."

"You're serious?"

"Damn right."

Rogue crossed her arms across her chest and looked away, now feeling awkward in her own skin. She felt like her cheeks were aflame. Putting up a brave, controlled front, she glared at him again. "You know what this means, Logan."

"I do," Logan affirmed with a nod.

For a few minutes Rogue stared at his handsome face. He looked so adorable as he stood in front of her. He was wearing his brown leather jacket, tight jeans and boots. His blue flannel shirt was open on the chest, revealing the wife beater underneath. Those firm pecs were surely trying to entrance her to just give in. "God," she whispered. "It's like I'm asking you to marry me." His eyes widened and she was almost tempted to laugh. Instead she scoffed and turned around. "Fuck off, Logan. I'm not in the mood to play around."

Logan pounced at her because she only took one step backwards and he's already got her trapped in the steel cage of his arms. "Marie, would you please just stop and listen to me?"

Rogue raised a brow at him. She could tell he was impatient, but she had a feeling he was more than willing to work for it.

"It takes much to accept it all in one go, Marie: you bein' immortal, you lovin' me as much as you do. Fuck, I can't even accept the fact I'm lustin' over you like a teenage boy. But it's true –the Wolverine wants you, and… And I know I do too. I guess I need more time–"

"That's why I left you, you fucking moron!" Rogue cut him off, trying to shrug away from his touch. "I said I didn't want to explain it all over again and you–"

"I said: I need more time with you, Marie!" Logan yelled, effectively stunning her into silence. "How am I supposed to do this when you keep on running away?" He hardened his grip on her arms, knowing she could take it. "What were you plannin' to do anyway, tryin' to 'let me live my life without you', that kinda bullshit for revenge? I'm a fuckin' antique, Marie, you don't have the right to tell me what to do."

Rogue heard him loud and clear. He was right. But that didn't mean she was wrong either. She shook her head and stared at the snow. "Can't you see, Logan?" she asked, hating that her voice sounded terrified. "I'm... obsessed and it's wrong. I want to blame Carol's self-confidence, blame Sabretooth's feral mutation –but it's just…" She paused to swallow the sob about to escape her throat. "It's just me, Logan. And I want you so bad that I don't know how to stop!"

"That's what I'm tryin' to say, darlin'," he replied, running his palms up and down her arms, as if he was trying to make her warm. "I don't want you to stop."

When she locked gazes with him, Rogue saw it was clear in his eyes –what he was probably trying to say: It's not just you."You don't know what you're saying. You're crazy!"

"Let me prove just how much then," Logan said, and pulled her in for a kiss.


Once again, the heat was overwhelming. It tore through Logan from the inside out. He loved every minute of it –especially the way her hands and arms unconsciously pulled him closer. This was the way they were meant to be. When he drew back to look at her face, see just how much he made her lips swell, he realized that they ended up backed up against a tree.

Marie was flushed and breathless, the soft intakes of breath tickling his ears. Her eyes were glassy with desire, fear, shock, denial and love. It seemed like it wasn't only him that needed to start changing. She needed time to believe he was ready as well.

"I want to figure it out together, Marie. I don't wanna do it alone." Logan covered her frame with his own when a bone-chilling breeze blew towards them. She was trembling, but it wasn't from the cold. It made him want to kiss her, embrace her, love her… Palming her warm cheek, he smiled. "I want to be with you every step of the way, darlin'. I want to be sure that I'm really what you want. Because there's not turning back from this, Marie… not for a very long time."

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Please review! :D