Author's Chapter Notes:
Well see what happens when Logan Muse goes out of town... Jean and Scott Muse came for a visit... Bwhahaha!

In this chapter, the stuff really hits the fan. Prophecies come true... Have heart! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I am two pages into chapter 9 because last night Logan Muse decided he was staying put after Scooter Muse visited and he got to read what was going on over my shoulder...

Enjoy!
Caldicott-Howlett Apartment
Thornwood, NY.
Monday, June 21, 2010
6:00 A.M.

Angry thoughts continued to fester in Marie. She hadn’t even gone to sit vigil over Logan until he woke up. No, she wasn’t going to let him off the hook, not yet. Marie didn’t even stay to wait for him to wake up. She left the school super early Sunday morning, headed to their home in Thornwood to get some space from Logan and the situation there. She hadn’t been there since they came home one night to find her dear Tigger dead in a box, courtesy of Sabretooth. She spent the rest of the day on Sunday in bed resting and not dealing with the situation she ran from. No one knew she’d left the school during the early morning hours on Sunday. Marie even turned on Magneto’s skills to avoid being detected in Cerebro. When she woke up Monday morning she sent Xavier an email to his cell phone.

To: mindclass at XavierSchool.net
From: msmidas at XavierSchool.net
Re: Time off…

Ah am takin’ some time away for a while. Ah need tahm to refocus. Logan… Tell Logan I’m at home if he wants to see meh… Sorry about everything. M.


Charles was at his desk when he felt his cell phone hum on the lacquered furniture. He picked it up and answered it right away.

To: msmidas at XavierSchool.net
From: mindclass at XavierSchool.net

Marie, you should know… Logan has been looking for you since he woke this morning. I’m sure your classes can be handled for a while… Please take care of yourself and remember what I said. I will inform Logan at breakfast. CX.


Marie climbed out of bed to make a quick pit stop and then she crawled back into bed. The unbearable pain was back with a vengeance and the depression decided to join the party. She didn’t feel like doing anything but sleep. A part of her thought if she slept, maybe the pain would go away. With seeing what Logan felt, she finally felt the true magnitude of her loss and that was why the pain had returned with the depression. She had entered another stage; this time depression, reflection, and loneliness would be her friends until she reached the next phase came on. She began to feel so empty. The despair began to feel bone deep. Then sleep began to overtake her once more and Marie let her eyelids fall.


Dining Hall
First Floor
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
7:30 A.M.

Logan hadn’t slept very well at all since he’d been released by Hank that morning. Hank made him stay and rest even though he felt completely healed. He sensed something wasn’t right… Blue had told him that Marie was alright after his attempt to resuscitate her. Shouldn’t she be down below, sitting by his side? He went to find Marie once he came above. She wasn’t in her room and her bed was pristinely made. A tour of the grounds during his morning run didn’t pick up much of her scent but it led him to discover that her car was missing. Then he decided to ask Chuck what was going on but remembered that the students would be headed to the Mess Hall as Wolverine called it. It didn’t mean Mess Hall in the military sense, but in the olfactory sense… It was a hall filled with a mess of scents to Logan when he entered the room. He went up and hit the showers before he changed into something dry. Logan entered the hall and grabbed a plate of breakfast before he went to the instructors’ table. He sat down between Chuck and Ororo before he began to fork his food a little around the plate.

“Where’s Marie, Chuck?” He simply asked.

“I received an email from her this morning. She will be away from the school for an indeterminate period. I granted her request considering the emotional toll she has gone through so far.”

Logan’s fork clattered to his plate.

“What the…” He stopped himself considering the young ears in the vicinity, possibly listening in.

Sensing the anger spike in Logan, Charles spoke up about the rest of the email.

“She said to tell you that she went home.”

“Home? Did she go to Meridian?” The anger and confusion clearly now in his tone of voice.

“I don’t believe so.”

“Don’t you remember? You and my Rogey bought a place in Thornwood?” Jubilee added.

Truth be told, he’d forgotten all about it. So many things had happened since he and Marie had been there. He ate more breakfast as he tried to form a plan.


“What did she mean, indeterminate? Is that such a good idea since she tried to kill herself?”

“She and I had a long talk after you were taken to the infirmary. And in her email she said she needed to refocus. You can understand her position. I had no reason to think that she would make another disastrous attempt.”

“Look, I’ll see you all later. I’ve got to straighten things out with Marie.”

“Tread lightly, Logan, don’t push her too hard,” Charles warned. “Be aware that she blames you for the loss of her parents.”

“Thanks.”


Caldicott-Howlett Apartment
Thornwood, NY.
9:00 A.M.

Logan pulled into their driveway and killed the motorcycle engine. He sat erect in the seat and looked at the building. Marie had to be inside because her car still sat in the driveway. She was right to some degree… He was responsible for making Marie reconnect with her parents. He was guilty for telling her the truth instead of lying to her, making her believe that her mother was still alive. He was at fault for pulling away from her… And he was responsible for leaving her when she needed him most to go exact some kind of revenge on the persons that ended her parents’ lives. Logan worried that he’d be entering a hostile environment. The Wolverine only cared about getting back to his mate. He threw a leg over and stood, somehow gaining the courage to face Marie. He had to figure out how to handle an upset Marie… He knew how to in the past but this was a different upset Marie. Before, she wasn’t engaged to marry him… Now they were soon to be married. Logan decided to put it all on the line and face Marie.

His key entered the door and then he crossed the threshold after he opened the door. The keys went into the dish on an antique desk by the door. Living room was clear and the apartment seemed quiet… The door closed and he locked it before he headed toward the bedroom. He quietly opened the door where he smelt Marie’s scent the strongest. She was in bed… He had no idea that she’d been there for a day and was building up to another. She was curled up in the covers, fetal position, asleep. Her face looked pained and slightly pale. Logan moved to his side of the bed and sat down as gently as he could with an adamantium filled body. She began to rock in her sleep and then it became vocal.

“No, no, no mama. It’s gonna be okay. No, no, no…” She kept repeating.

Logan debated waking her, when she suddenly woke up, panting, and sobbing as she held her head. He quickly moved across the bed and pulled her into his arms. His right leg went under hers as the other went around her lower back. He held her tight as she continued to cry.

“Ssh, baby, I’m here. Ssh, it’s gonna be okay,” he tried to soothe her; his left hand began to stroke her crown.


Inside Marie’s mind was a nightmare she’d been having since she’d recovered from her nervous breakdown. She’d see her parents happy with her as a child and then she’d see them upset when they found out she was a mutant. Then she’d see them when Logan took her to see them again after so many years. And she’d see her mother looking slightly happier before she’d then envision them all bloody before she’d see them rotting, and then just their empty skeletons. It happened again and again… Only this time she smelled cigars and… And… Logan? She woke herself up to try and get it to stop. Then she felt strong arms around her and he was telling her it was all going to be okay… Hell no! It was never going to be okay! Her parents were dead… She felt all alone in the world. No siblings to lean on and her cousin Sookie was too far away. She was ignoring the fact that she had Logan right there, and her friends back at the mansion.

Marie pulled away from Logan and he let her go without a fight. She silently went into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. There was no use in locking the door because she knew that Logan would cut the locking arm post in the door. She splashed water on her face and adjusted her hair back into a decent ponytail. Then she sat down on the toilet…

“Marie, you okay?” She heard through the door.

She didn’t answer him and then she heard the door open. She felt his gaze upon her as if it were judging her as she looked at the tile pattern on the floor. It seemed more interesting than anything Logan had to say.

“When was the last time you ate, Marie?”

“Don’t remember.”

“Are you hungry?”

“No.”

“Would you like to go get something with me?”

“Don’t care,” she mumbled but she knew he could hear her.

“Do you want to stay here or do you want to get dressed and come outside with me?”

“Ah don’t know, pick one,” Marie said as she stood and pushed past him.

Marie went back to bed and pulled up the covers up to her chest. That about answered that…


Logan let her go from his arms, heeding Chuck’s advice not to push her, but then he went and fucked things up. He followed her to the bathroom and got a good look at her. She not only looked a little pale she also looked tired. He wondered when she last ate something… So he asked her and with her answer he knew that she was being a bit too indignant with him. The animal began to worry that his mate wasn’t eating. It worried that maybe she was sick. He needed to do something to remedy this soon or his mate could die. He considered threatening to go get Jubilee to knock her out of this funk she was in… But then what if it didn’t work? He watched her get back into bed and cover up; that made the choice for him. Sure, he could have pushed and made her get up to go out with him, but what good would it serve. She’d just get even more cross with him.

“Fine, stay here. I’ll be back in a few,” Logan said and stomped his way out to his bike in the driveway.

A few miles later, Logan succeeded in finding a sandwich shop. A small fortune later, he had procured lunch for Marie and himself. He came back in to the apartment and left the food on the kitchen counter on his way on to see Marie. She was exactly where he left her. She was asleep again in the fetal position. This time he went to sit parallel with her shins.

“Baby, it’s time to get up. You gotta eat something,” he firmly spoke, hoping that it would spur her into some kind of action.

“Ah’m not hungry,” she said without opening an eye.

“Look, I know you’re sad and depressed, but you gotta eat to keep your strength up. You’ve gotta get over this and not let it get you.”

“Leave meh alone. Ah ain’t gotta get over it because you said so. Ah don’t even have to eat if ah don’t wanna.”

“I know how you feel. I went through what you’re going through now when we lost Jean.”


Marie came up off that bed like a pistol with her nostrils flaring. Her eyes began to flood with salt water as she got ready to let him have it, both barrels.

“Oh no, don’t you fuckin’ dare. You buried yourself in a damn bottle until you were good and ready to come out of it. Well ah don’t get that luxury… Ah don’t get to find the bottom of a bottle because ah don’t heal lahk you do,” she yelled at him. “Ah don’t want you here to touch meh every time ah decide to drink!”

“Marie, I know you don’t mean that.”

“Oh yes, ah bloody hell do. Ah told you ah didn’t wanna go see mah parents! But nooo… The Wolverine got his way… Now ah have to live with the pain every day. The pain of getting through to mah mama to let her know ah was gonna marry a good man. The pain of never having mah mama here to see mah weddin’ dress, much less the weddin’,” Marie said, her accent thick as she started to break down in tears again. “Now ah have to live with the pain of not having a weddin’.”

“What are you sayin?” Logan looked at her like she’d grown a second head.

“Just that. The wedding is off.”

“You can’t mean that Marie,” he said as she began taking her rings off.

“Here, take ‘em,” she spoke as she held them out in her hand.


‘No, no, no, fuck no, this isn’t right. Shit, it’s all goin’ to hell…’ Logan thought.

“No Marie, they’re yours.”

“Ah don’t want them anymore,” she voiced before she threw them at him on her way to escaping into the bathroom again.

This time she locked the door to signify the end of the conversation. But with Logan, it was never that easy. Seconds later he was at the bathroom door. He tried to open the door and found it locked. Then a thud to the door as his head hit it.

“Marie baby, please let me in.”

“You lied to meh, Logan.”

“Please don’t shut me out.”

But Marie had a right to. He’d shut her out when it came to his getting over Jean. He did it all on his own without help. Why should he assume that she needed help? Well because she was letting the depression get to her and she attempted to end her life. Then reality hit him. Xavier had warned him not to push her and what had he done? Shit. The Wolverine didn’t want to leave her alone in this state, but the man had to fade back and lick his wounds. She didn’t want to marry him anymore… Part of him knew that she wasn’t serious. She was lashing out in pain. He just knew that it had been right to get her parents’ permission to marry… And someday he knew that she’d see it his way as well. As painful as it was, Logan decided to give her some time and space, but not before he let her know a few things.

“You should know, I didn’t mean to hurt you. I was only doin’ what I thought was best for you. I didn’t mean to lie to you. I should have told you the truth but you’d just gotten over a nervous breakdown and I didn’t want to be the cause of a relapse. I’m not sorry those bastards paid for what they did to your family. I’m sorry I pulled away from you because I felt guilty. I’m sorry and I love you, Marie. I’ll be at the mansion if you need me. Bye.”

Logan waited for a response and when none came he left the bedroom. He stopped off in the kitchen and grabbed his sandwich in the bag off the counter. He put Marie’s in the favorite sandwich in the refrigerator and locked up the apartment behind him. He put his keys in the right pocket of his silk shirt before throwing a leg over the bike.


Headmaster’s Office
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
12:00 P.M.

After eating and driving around for an hour, Logan went back to the mansion. He needed to see Chuck… Logan figured Xavier was the only one that could fix this since Marie wouldn’t talk to him. It was almost time for lunch break at 12:30. He went right to his office and before he could knock Chuck did that weird thing and told him to enter.

“You got a minute?”

“As a matter of fact I do, lunch is in a few minutes. What can I do for you?”

“Help me fix Marie.”

“Take a seat… What have you done,” he asked a beat later.

“She’s called off the wedding.”


Charles sighed. He knew he shouldn’t be surprised. He kind of half expected it to happen. Someday he hoped that for once, Logan would heed his advice. He leaned back as he tried to think of what to do. Part of him wanted to tell Logan to grovel at Marie’s feet… But that wasn’t such a good idea at the moment.

“Start at the beginning and tell me everything that happened. Then maybe, just maybe we can mend this before it becomes a disaster or Jubilee and Ororo find out.”
Chapter End Notes:
I knoooow, poor Logan right? Well, stay tuned for the next update! Please feed my muses with reviews so they don't starve! I don't have the budget to feed all these muses...