Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, last chapter. Logan saw the shit hit the fan and found out what little secret Xavier hid from him and Marie come into the light... What else could go wrong?
Infirmary
Level 3 Underground
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
8:00 A.M.

Jubilee wondered where the Professor and Logan were because they had been missing from the instructor’s table at breakfast. It was rare for both of them to be missing, unless they were on a mission, on personal time away, or at some special event. She wondered if Logan was still down in the infirmary with Marie. She decided to take a chance and went down to visit her anyway with a medium sized plate of breakfast for her. She said good morning to Hank and then went across the hall to the med bay Marie was still sleeping in. Jubilee gently set the tray of food, drink on a table at the end of the hospital styled bed. She gravitated into the chair Logan had vacated earlier that morning. She propped up the cover over the food so that Marie could smell the warm food.


Marie was dreaming of Logan and her sitting next to a tree and enjoying a sunny afternoon when she suddenly smelled bacon… Bacon and orange juice? She slowly opened her eyes and remembered that Logan said he’d bring her something to eat. She looked over to find not Logan but Jubilee watching her wake up.

“Hiya Roguey, how are ya doing today?

“Better ah think. How’d ah get down here? What happened?”


Jubilee carefully considered the situation. What if she told Marie and something bad happened again? Logan would kill her. But she was Marie’s best friend aside from Logan and they always told each other the truth. She decided to take her life into her own hands because dammit, she was 7 months pregnant and you don’t mess with a pregnant Jubilee who can fry your hair with a single electric charge.

“Your hunky, hairy man carried you down here.”

“But why? Tell meh.”

“You had a nervous breakdown, Chica.”

“Ah did? Why?”

“Well, the thing is… Your parents are dead.”


Something wasn’t right… She was just there. She knew they were alive because they were just visited them. No, her mama and daddy were alive.

“What a thing to say, Jubes! They’re just as alive as ah am. Mah daddy’s probably workin’ on a ship model of some kind raht now. Mama’s probably gettin’ the wash on the line. Ah’ve asked Logan to call her and invite her up to see the dress we picked out for the weddin’,” she spoke with numbed disbelief.

“Look, talk to Logan, Chica. He just got back from takin’ care of the bad dudes that killed ‘em.”

“What?”

“Oh yeah, he left here and went to Meridian. Remy said he had help from your cousin Sookie and her friends, and everything…”

“No, no mah parents are fine. How does Remy know Sookie? Ah’ll call when ah get Hank to let meh outtah here.”

Jubilee let it drop from there. She was already in over her head as it was. Remy had ears to the ground and heard about the killings before the cops arrived. There were bodies everywhere and not a drop of blood between any of them. They had torn flesh as well but no blood… The media were sure to report on it soon.

“Now what did ya bring meh, ah’m starved.”


Mansion Rooftop-Tower 1
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
8:00 A.M.

Logan stood up on the roof of the first tower smoking a cigar butt from his back pocket. The Wolverine needed a nicotine rush after the meeting with Xavier. He was up there and thinking of Chuck’s plans. Marie’s denial that her parents were dead, the guilt he had, and he thought of the wedding plans. Would Marie be okay by the time the date came? He knew getting over her parents wouldn’t be all that easy. He was still getting over Jean and to a lesser degree Scott. So lost in thought was he that he didn’t notice that he had company. His sister Lily sought him out to have a chat.

“Ah’m sorry, James. Ah’m so sorry.”

Logan turned to find his sister Lily there.

“What do you have to be sorry about? Please call me Logan. James died a long time ago.”

“Old habbits… Marie’s parents. Ah know now that they were the ones ah saw in mah premonition, Logan.”

“Oh, that.”

“Ah had no idea. Is there anything ah can do, for ya’ll?”

“Not really. Marie’s in denial. Xavier says that’s normal.”

“Well, ah think ah can throw a Fourth of July party ta beat the band. Ah know it maht cheer Marie up when she realizes her loss.”

“Thanks,” Logan said as he exhaled a large puff of smoke. “Is there anything else you can share with me of the future?”

“Not really, but ah remember that ah saw somethin’ happenin’ with you in July or August.”

“Thanks for the heads up,” grumbled.

“You just gotta remember, it will all work out for the best,” she kissed his temple as she squeezed his upper arm.”


Marie's Room
Instructor’s Wing
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
11:30 A.M.

As it happened, Hank decided Marie was recovered enough vitally to leave the med bay and the infirmary behind. Although she still had a few issues with denial, she could still mentally function. He released her just in time before the bell would ring to let the students out for lunch. It was a school day after all, so she slipped up to her room without a peep from anyone. When the Professor passed Ororo and Hank thought it was a good idea to make it a year round school. So the school year started in staggered years depending on what class you were in. Freshmen started in March and were out a year later in May. Sophomores started in June and were out a year later in August. Juniors started in September and were out a year the next November. Seniors started in December and were out twelve months later in February. She closed the door quietly and went on the hunt for her cell phone. When she found it, she flopped down on her bed and started to dial up her mama. It was only 10:30 in the morning in Meridian. The phone rang once, twice, and thrice… Marie let it go on and on. After ten rings, she decided that maybe daddy took mama to the store or something. She left her cell on the nightstand and headed for the shower. Warm water was great for whatever ails you had. And after spending time in the med bay, she felt like she needed to wash away the clinical smells. The Wolverine would be happier when she met up with him later.

A short time later, dressed in a towel, Marie went to her dresser and decided she felt like wearing black. She plucked out her Victoria’s Secret push up bra and panty set. She was still on that time of the month according to what Hank told her, so she remembered to take care of that. Then to the closet and a black cotton skirt just above the knee and a black t-shirt. For some reason, she felt a little weak. Not weak enough to faint, but a bit drowsy. She looked in the mirror and saw the confirmation staring her in the face. She slapped her cheeks a couple times and found her second wind from somewhere. Marie splashed on some powder and paint, and brushed her hair and teeth before she put on some black ballet flats. She grabbed her cell phone in case her mama tried to call her. She’d left her number on a slip of paper inside a memo box on the refrigerator. Then she made her way down to the racket that would be lunch.


Dining Hall
First Floor
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
12:20 P.M.

Marie opened the doors and entered the hall. The room suddenly went quiet and gasps could be heard. She felt a sense of shock all over the room as students stared. She looked over to the instructor’s table and Charles warmly smiled at her. He stood and moved toward a semi-stunned Marie.

“Why do they stare? Have ah got somethin’ on mah forehead?”

“You’ll have to forgive them my dear. They weren’t expecting you to be released so soon. Come, be seated and they will move on to some ridiculous topic,” Charles said as he led her to a seat at the instructor’s table.

Ororo moved one down so that she could sit next to Xavier. Bobby got up and kissed the top of her head after she sat.

“I’m sorry. Good to have you back. Kitty’s been driving me crazy since I turned on that news report.”

“What news report,” Marie curiously asked.

‘I will handle this Robert,’ the Professor messaged to Bobby mentally.

“It was nothing, just about a massive animal rescue,” Charles interceded.

“Oh, ah’m sorry ah missed it. Ah hope they were able to save a lot of animals. Ah have been thinkin’ of gettin’ a new pet.”

“I’m not so sure you need one, Chica… Your big teddy bear is out in the garage,” Jubilee piped up.

“You mean her big puppy dog?” Kitty teased.

“Aww come on guys. Leave Logan alone,” Marie finally spoke.

“I would agree, he’s on his way in,” Charles added.


True to the Professor’s word, a few minutes later, Logan entered the dining hall still a bit covered in grease. His hands were clean though, thanks to that miracle stuff in a bucket Chuck ordered for him. He grabbed a plate of something resembling food and took a seat across from Marie. He hoped she wasn’t hurt; he just couldn’t sit next to her. He was afraid that if she touched him, she might see what he knew about her parents and their deaths. That was one of the reasons why he’d been avoiding her since he’d seen her so early that morning. Not to mention her period… The blood was driving the Wolverine crazy. One of the last reasons was that there was a student in his automotive class that had a learning disability. He had trouble processing the information Logan was spewing out to the other students. He had permission from Charles so he got to record the class if he missed certain parts of the notes he was supposed to know. After the class, Logan took the time to teach him hands on how certain things worked and now to be cleaned. He figured it was up to the kid to study hard to integrate what he taught him and the notes together.

“Ah called mah mama and no one answered. She’s probably out shoppin’ or somethin’. Were you able to call her earlier about the trip up here,” Marie asked him.

“Uh… No, sorry. I haven’t had the time,” he couldn’t look her in the eye as he picked up a roast beef sandwich and took a bite.

“No worries, sugah. Ah’ll call her later.”

Logan looked up at Charles with concern.


‘What do I do here, Chuck?’ He sent to him.

‘Just stay the course. It’s a good sign that she’s reaching out to her mother. Soon, she will move beyond the shock and denial when she realizes her parents are gone.’

‘Then what’s next?’

‘The pain and guilt phase.’

Charles knew that when the coroner released the bodies, someday soon, if Marie’s parents had wills, an executor of the estate would try to contact her about their contents. Then if she hadn’t gotten past the shock and denial phase, he planned to help her unlock what she was missing. The pain she would feel then would be devastating and he knew Logan would know what to do then.


Marie wondered what was going on between Logan and the Professor. There were lots of eye movements between the two and then suddenly, the last look on Logan’s face was a frown.

“What is it, Logan,” she quietly asked as she leaned a little over her plate that Kitty brought her after Bobby sat back down.

“What?”

“The looks you and the Professor are sharin’…”

“Oh, it’s nothing. I was usin’ the mental phone to tell him ‘bout a student in my class that’s slow.”

“Yes, Logan’s been taking more time with him hands on so that he absorbs the information better.”

“Oh. That’s nice.”

“Yeah. I guess. He’s doin’ better the more we do stuff after class.”


Marie's Room
Instructor’s Wing
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
1:00 P.M.

Logan went off to his next class and Marie decided to go back up to her room to call her mother again. It was noon back home and mama would be in the kitchen making lunch for her and her grumpy husband. She remembered the conversation they had about Logan out in the backyard while her mother hung the clothes on the line. The rings were consecutive, one after another, and no one picked up. Marie decided not to give up yet. She’d call again after dinner. She had no idea that back home arrangements were being made for the charred remains to be cremated together after the coroner was done with the investigation. Her mother’s lawyer would be contacting her soon. Her father had a separate lawyer and until his will was read would she know whether she was included in the division of his assets. Marie was an only child, so legally, she should get everything… But only if both parents agreed she should get it all.


Marie's Room
Instructor’s Wing
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
Friday, June 18, 2010
7:00 P.M.

Marie had been trying now four days to reach her mother and no luck. She began to get worried, but then she tried to talk herself out of it by telling herself that maybe her parents went on vacation somewhere. She dialed again after dinner and nothing. She went to stand by her window and as she stared off into the grounds below, Jubilee’s voice kept popping up in her mind.

“But why? Tell meh.”

“You had a nervous breakdown, Chica.”

“Ah did? Why?”

“Well, the thing is… Your parents are dead.”

A beat later…

“Look, talk to Logan, Chica. He just got back from takin’ care of the bad dudes that killed ‘em.”

“What?”

“Oh yeah, he left here and went to Meridian. Remy said he had help from your cousin Sookie and her friends, and everything…”

Then suddenly her mind began to put two and two together… Her mother didn’t tell her that they were going on vacation somewhere. Priscilla would have wanted to share that information with her daughter. Her father didn’t mention any trip either. Out of the blue she had a flashback of the television screen in the rec room and Marie abruptly felt cold, her chest hurt, her head hurt, her body hurt. She got into bed and began to sob and cry into her pillow where no one could hear. Her shock wore off and according to the Professor’s prediction it was replaced with the suffering of almost unbearable pain. For days to come, Marie would be going through excruciating and almost unbelievable pain. She would have to fully experience it and not hide it or avoid it. Somehow, Logan would have to keep her from getting into his stash of alcohol or getting drugs from somewhere outside the school. But for now, she tried to hide her weeping from the others by crying into her pillow.

‘Mah parents are dead,’ she thought.
Chapter End Notes:
Ooooh, a cliffhanger... Dear me, what will happen next? Please drop me a line and I will pass it on to my muses. Thanks for your reviews!