“It’s okay, sugah, ah’m here,” Sookie said as Logan watched her come down the staircase. “Go, go on upstairs. Ah’ve gotta tahlk with mah future cousin in law.”

“Actually, he needs to stay. I’m gonna need his help as well,” Logan admitted.

“Alcide, please go get meh some sweet tea.” The werewolf left. “So, come on in. What’s wrong with Marie?”

“She’s had a psychotic break from a nervous breakdown.”

He watched as she fell down to her couch.

“What happened?”

“As I heard it, her parents were murdered by the KKK because we went to see them after we left here when we first met. I can’t tell you why I am here exactly, or I’d have to kill ya. I need your growly friend in the kitchen to help me track down the persons responsible. I’ll even take vampire help if you’ve got it. I only have fifty-four hours ‘til I’ve gotta be back to Marie.”

“Ah see. Ah’ll be glad ta keep the secret if ya want, anythin’ for Marie.”

“Ah’m sure Bill and Eric would help if ah asked nicely. Alcide, well he’ll be an extra pair of eyes and ears.”

“Thanks. How soon can we round up this posse?”

“Well, the vampire help will be available after sunset of course, but Alcide can go with ya now.”

“I’m goin’ where? Sookie, you know I can’t leave you.”

“Thanks. Sugah, ya aren’t. Ah’m goin’ too.”

“No, that wouldn’t be a good idea,” Logan protested.

“Sure it would, ah’ve had plenty-ah experience in gettin’ rid of bodies…”

“It’s true, she has,” Alcide spoke up.

“Fine. Go get dressed in something you won’t mind gettin’ dirty, bloody, or mind burning afterwards.”


D’Ancanto’s House
Meridian, MS.
10:00 P.M.

It was finally dark enough for Logan to park the Suburban down the street like he’d done with Marie. It was agreed upon by the team of three to wait until after sunset to finally pull up to the spot that he’d stopped on his previous visit. Though Logan hated having to waste the time, he didn’t want an audience gathering as they were looking around. Sookie had called Bill and Eric while they waited and they would be by soon as they could. The three of them got out of the vehicle and they quietly closed their doors as best they could without making a sound loud enough to raise suspicions. The three of them walked up to the crime scene; looking at the deserted house that Logan and Marie had just visited.

“I need help with picking up any scent trails we can find to track down the murdering bastards that killed my girl’s parents,” Logan whispered to Alcide Herveaux, who had his arm around Sookie’s waist in a possessive hold.

“What should ah do? Sugah?”

“You’re the look out,” Alcide ordered.

“Yeah, watch out for the neck biters and any passersby. We don’t need the law here tonight.”

“Gotcha,” Sookie nodded.


Shortly after, Logan and Alcide went around to the backyard and broke their way into the house. Both men wore plastic gloves and plastic body suits they’d picked up on the way. No sense in leaving any traces of hair for them to pick up. Logan had no way of knowing the police were already analyzing hair samples from him and Marie in the crime lab, even though the KKK had accepted responsibility for the killings. He sent up thanks to God for making sure he cashed the check from Marie’s father before the funds were frozen. They’d done so somewhere between Virginia and Pennsylvania. Alcide took upstairs, while Logan worked downstairs, both men working in the dark so not to arouse the neighbors.


Sookie felt kind of creepy just standing out on the sidewalk so she moved up to the porch and sat down on the swing in the dark. Then she saw a form appear on the walkway up to the front steps of the house.

“Sookie,” Bill Compton spoke lowly where only she could hear it.

“Bill, come on up here and ah’ll explain why ah called.”

“As you wish.”

Then suddenly, The Blond One showed up on the porch closer to Sookie than Bill was. He poofed in before Bill could take up a spot close to Sookie. So, Bill just sat on her other side and made the other half of a vampire sandwich around Sookie.

“Your resident Viking vampire is here, what would you have me do,” Eric asked in a husky, sexy voice.

“The KKK ordered mah cousin’s parents murdered and mah future cousin in law is here with Alcide pickin’ up the scent trails ta track them down ta take care of business.”

“What do you need from us then?” Bill asked.

“Help trackin’ them and ta help meh get rid of bodies. Besahds, ah thought yawl maht lahk some fresh kills.”

“Sookie, you know I don’t go around killin’ for the sake of killin’,” Bill objected, “He might, but I don’t.”

“Bill, these bastards killed some of mah family and made mah favorite cousin go insane. Ah want these fuckers to pay, just as much as mah future cousin in law. The KKK already admitted they did it, but won’t say who did it.”

“I’ll be glad to help,” Eric said before he leaned in and teased the back of her neck with his lips.

“Eric, not now,” Sookie said as she pushed him away. “Ah’m with Alcide, you know that.”

“Can’t blame a vampire for tyin’, can ya?”

“I’ll do it. Anyone comes lookin’ for us, you don’t know anything,” Bill finally acquiesced to Sookie’s request.

“Ah know, ah’m the lookout…”


Infirmary
Level 3 Underground
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
2:00 A.M.

Jubilee couldn’t believe that Marie hadn’t woken up yet and she was really missing her best friend. The baby would be coming soon and she needed her Chica to help her through the delivery. She was there seated in a plastic chair by Marie’s side on the right. She held her hand in both of hers. Worry written all over her face and in her voice.

“Come on Rogey, ya gotta wake up. Word is, Wolvie’s gone after the bad guys that killed your parents. You gotta wake up so I can have this kid wanting to jump out of my belly and come meet Auntie Roguey.”

There was no response, only more rapid eye movement. Suddenly, Jubilee heard the metal doors swish open. Xavier casually walked into the room; it still felt a little strange that he could walk again.

“Couldn’t sleep Professor?”

“I thought I might try another session with her.”

“I should get to bed. No need to throw the book at me. I know I need as much rest as I can get with the baby coming soon,” she spoke as she stood.

“Indeed. Sweet dreams, dear Jubilee.”

“Thanks, you too, Professor.”


Charles took up the seat Jubilee vacated and he telepathically went to Marie in her mind. About midway through his visit, he called Ororo down with the, ‘Brain Phone,’ as Jubilee called it, to the infirmary where Marie lay still upon the hospital bed. Machines and wires connected to her chest and head; her breathing slow, steady.

“I’m here,” Ororo softly spoke about ten minutes later.

He opened his eyes. He’d been having another late night session with Marie, trying to help her cope mentally with the tragic events that caused her to have the mental breakdown.

“I must send you to pick Logan up. Marie will be returning to consciousness soon. I’m sure he’ll want to be here when she wakes.”

“Where is he anyway? I haven’t seen him around and it’s not like him to skip meals or abandon Marie while she’s recovering.”

“Meridian, Mississippi.”

“Do I want to know why?”

“I can’t say. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough time to wait for him to return on his own before she wakes. Take the ‘Bird and bring him home. I will stay with her until you both come home.

“How is she doing?”

“As well as can be expected. Seems she’d reconnected with her mother and received her blessing for the wedding. Her father… Well… That’s another story. It’s almost the equivalent to how you lost your parents. The only difference is that she didn’t see them murdered in front of her.”

“Poor Marie… I will see you later,” she sighed.

“Good luck.”

“Thanks.”


Sarita Lakes Park
Meridian, MS.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
3:50 A.M.

Logan realized that it was getting late and they were still on the hunt. The Wolverine teased him that if he’d been working alone he’d be done already. He pulled up behind some tall bougainvillea bushes near an old one room shack at the lake. There were several cars parked in front of it. The park had shacks the public could rent at the lake during the late spring and summer.

“We’re here. This is the place,” Alcide said as he pulled his shape-shifting face in from outside the vehicle.

They’d rode through the night with him in animal form with his head out of one of the backseat windows; Sookie beside him. He quickly dressed from some spare clothing he brought in a backpack. The two vampires just appeared at the location on their own, with Sookie’s directions of course, and a few others for backup. Logan got out and quietly shut his door. The team gathered around him.

“So what’re we gonna do,” Sookie asked.

“You’re not doin’ anything,” Alcide spoke up.

“I say we leave it to me. I’m awful thirsty,” Eric chimed in, his fangs already released.

“Oh raht and have a vampire witch hunt on our hands. No thanks,” Sookie pulled her hair up in a tight ponytail.

Logan was reminded of Marie’s same habit. She always did it when they practiced in the Danger Room or when they went on a mission. He felt a pang in his heart then. He missed her and wondered how she was doing. Then suddenly he caught a whiff of a familiar scent. He scented the air around him as he turned around. No, she shouldn’t be here. Ororo was supposed to be back at the school. Then he spotted her. If she was here, something was wrong at home. He didn’t wait for her to reach the party as he ran up to her walking form.

“What’s wrong,” he asked.

“Well that’s a fine, ‘how do you do,’ Logan.”

“Why are you here?”

“Charles sent me to bring you home.”

“Marie?” He asked, cautious, and steeled for bad news.

Although he knew he’d never be prepared if something happened to Marie while he was away. Ororo stepped forward and put her hand on his forearm as a sign of comfort.

“She’s waking up soon. The Professor thought you might want to be there when she awakes.”

While Logan was busy talking to Ororo, Eric and his friends couldn’t stay back any longer. Bill stayed with Alcide and Sookie.


She joked, “What’s a few more dead bodies between friends?”

“Speakin’ of bodies. What are we gonna do with this gang,” Alcide asked.

“We could bury them,” Sookie said.

“We could turn them and then stake them.”

Sookie looked at Bill with surprise.

“That might be a good idea. Or we could tah them awl togethah and vanquish them with the sun.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Alcide looked to the out of town stranger.

There was a white headed stranger with him. He smelled a woman and the more he looked at her the more he became attracted. The wolf in him began to lowly growl. Then suddenly, he felt a pain in his gut after Sookie punched him in the gut.

“Hey, watch it.”


Logan walked back to the gang as Ororo waited for him by the motorcycle she rode on to find him. Yes, Ororo had her own bike. He had to get this over with so that he could get back to his girl. He looked up as he heard men screaming and guns firing. Good thing they were out in the woods surrounding the lake or they would have the law on their asses so quick it would make your head spin.

“I have to go. Marie’s gonna wake up soon.”

“That’s alraht. We’ve got this covered,” Sookie spoke.

Logan wanted to ask but the Wolverine was urgently telling him to get back home to his girl.

“How will you get home?”

“Eric’s reinforcements brought transportation. So, we’re good,” Sookie said as she grabbed Alcide’s backpack and her purse out of the Suburban.

Then the stray thought hit her, how would they get rid of all the vehicles?

“Thanks for your help, Marie and I appreciate it,” Logan offered.

“You take care of mah cousin now. Ah will be waitin’ for a call soon.”

“It’s a deal.”


Logan took up the driver’s seat in the Suburban and turned it around to follow Ororo. He sighed. Well, his hands were clean. He didn’t have the murders of all those bastards on his hands. Now hopefully Marie would be at ease that they were dealt with. They ditched the SUV at a baseball field to be picked up later. Charles could make arrangements for the retrieval at his convienence. Once they were back on the Blackbird, and buckled in, Logan tried to pry more information out of Ororo.

“So, what did I miss?”

“Charles has been with her since you left. He was with her when I left. She’ll be waking soon and he didn’t think you’d want to miss it. Seems to me that Marie would be upset as well if you weren’t there.”

“That’s good isn’t it? I mean that she’s waking so soon and all?”

“I suppose so. He thinks she’s ready. Personally, I think she’s still going to need some grieving time.”

“I hope she will come to me instead of pushing me away,” Logan worried that she would blame him for wanting to reconnect with her parents to get their blessing only to tragically lose them.