Small Kitchen
First Floor
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
10:15 A.M.

Marie was in her robe and in the kitchen making coffee when she suddenly felt this foreboding wave of sadness come over her. She felt something was wrong… Horribly wrong, but she couldn’t tell why. And then it just as abruptly simply went away. She hoped that she wasn’t going to have another attack of those day-mares she’d had of her father on the long ride home. Maybe she was just having a mood swing? Marie shrugged it off as she made a couple egg sandwiches and then poured the coffee into a couple mugs when she finished. Everything went onto a small tray and she headed back up to Logan, who by now, was probably naked and wanting some morning delights from his Marie, but that wasn’t going to happen because she was still on her period…


Recreation Room
First Floor
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
4:00 P.M.

Marie was standing by the large bay window in the rec room. The feeling that something was wrong, deeply wrong was back again. This time she couldn’t help but try to search her mind for any clues, but all the boxed up company in her head couldn’t help. This feeling had made her feel cold all day, bone deep cold, like she’d been left behind in Canada and Logan had left her because he was mad she made him lose a good beer he’d paid for, and had gotten him kicked out of that bar. And it wasn’t quite summer yet! So, after she’d gotten up, she’d wrapped herself up in one of Logan’s red and black patterned, trademark flannel shirts before he woke up. Marie hoped his scent might calm her down or at the very least try to make her feel warm and fuzzy inside. Ororo had taken the time to make her some warm, calming tea, but it didn’t touch the deep cold. Later when Logan found her, he made a joke of her looking like a mini-me of him. She had a white t-shirt on under the flannel and her hair was pulled back in a ponytail. Her inner Wolverine and Logan approved of her wearing his scent.

He begged off of her company to go work out in the garage. He wanted to tune up the motorbikes for a ride later if she was up to it. Marie told him it sounded nice and that she’d see him later… That was six hours ago and she still felt deeply cold. Now near the window, she was contemplating having Hank do some blood work to make sure she wasn’t becoming anemic.


Jubilee was relaxing, watching one of her reality shows when a ticker tape bar ran across the bottom of the screen. She usually read them aloud, but this time she couldn’t.

‘News Alert: Two people found dead in Meridian, Mississippi. Possible KKK connection… News at five o’clock, next,’ she read.

She couldn’t deliver the possibly horrifyingly bad news to her best friend by blabbing it casually. She muted the television and went to Marie’s right side. She wrapped her arms around her shoulders as best she could, being so pregnant and all, and laid her head on her shoulder.

“What’s wrong, Chica?”

“Ah cain’t help but feel lahk somethin’s wrong.”

“Whatever it is, it’s gonna be okay. I know so,” she squeezed Marie a little tighter.

“Thanks, sugah.”

“Anytime.”


Suddenly, the sound was up on the television. Bobby and Kurt came into the room while Jubilee wasn’t looking. They took over the television to play video games. As Kurt was setting the game box, the news station broke in.

“This is the weekend five o’clock news. Good evening. Tonight, we have breaking news from Meridian, Mississippi. Our affiliate in Meridian has sent us a tragic and horrible story. We go live now to the scene and to Jordan Lynch.”

“Yes, Tony, such a tragic story here tonight. Two dead bodies were found out on the lawn of this home here in Meridian, Mississippi, earlier this morning. The authorities haven’t officially identified the bodies yet but, we do know that the victims were male and female.”


Marie abruptly tore away from Jubilee and went to look at the television. She saw her childhood home. She recognized her mother’s prize geraniums on the porch.

“The authorities have also contacted the FBI because it is classified as a hate crime and murder because, ‘Mutie Lovers,’ was spray painted in white on the lawn in big letters over the heads of the two victims. The KKK has quickly stepped forward as well, claiming this horrific crime as one of theirs. I don’t think there has been such a terrible crime such as this since about the end of the civil rights movement. I’m sure the FBI will want to prosecute this hate crime as soon as possible. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the kin of these two victims.”

“OH MAH GAWD,” Marie screamed before her world went dark.

“Dammit guys!” Jubilee yelled as she watched her best friend faint, but she couldn’t stop her from falling due to her pregnancy. “Somebody go get Wolvie,” she yelled, “And get me a pillow, A.S.A.P.!”

Kurt bamfed a pillow to her from another couch to Jubilee, who was trying to get down on her knees so that she could sit comfortably next to Marie. Students in the room playing games scattered on a hunt for Mr. Logan. Bobby went to the kitchen for some water while Jubilee started trying to wake her.


The Garage
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
5:15 P.M.

Logan was in the garage changing the spark plugs on the most frequently used school vehicles since he’d finished the motorcycles an hour ago. He was finishing up changing the ones on Ororo’s minivan, when a kid suddenly ran up to the door of the garage. He stood and looked at the poor kid; he was so scared, out of breath, and looking a bit green. Okay, green was his skin color, but that was beside the point. Logan had him in his beginning martial arts class. His name code name was Chameleon, but he went by Leon. The boy could change his skin to match any environment. He was perfect at blending in.

“Whoa, take it easy kid. Slow, deep breaths. That’s it.”

“Mr. Lo… Lo… Logan. Miss Marie’s in trouble.”

Fear struck his heart. Had Victor come back from Australia? Were they under attack?

“What? Where is she?”

“In the… The rec room,” the kid answered; then he was off and running to that destination.

When he arrived there was a group of students hovering around Marie on the floor. Jubilee was still trying to wake her.

“Somebody wanna explain why she’s on the floor?” He roared.

“I’ll tell ya on the way to the infirmary,” Jubilee spoke up.

Logan scooped up a limp Marie into his arms and within a few moments they were on their way to the elevator.

“Okay, I’m waitin’.”

“Hold your claws, we’re almost there. I don’t wanna have to repeat myself again for Hank.”

He didn’t reply to her as he carried Marie through the automatic metal doors to the infirmary. He gently set her down on a gurney.

“Hank, we need you,” Jubilee called out into the clearly empty room.


Hank came running in behind them. Bobby had gone to get him from a meeting with the Professor. He filled him in on what he had seen happen in the rec room, everything…

“Jubilee, in that drawer on the cart behind you my dear, please hand me the telemetry box. Logan, I need you to wait outside,” he ordered as he went checking Marie for neck and head injuries.

“I ain’t movin’.”

The telemetry box in his hand, he began undoing Marie’s blouse to place the pads to connect the wires to. He quickly got her connected up to a heart monitor to check her heart, respirations, and pulse. Then he went about making her comfortable.

“What happened, Jubilation?” Hank asked, obviously trying to get a clue as to why Marie was practically a vegetable.

“She just got some terrible news from the television in the rec room. Then she screamed and then passed out. I tried to stop her, but of course I couldn’t get any help before she fell.”


Logan smelt that Jubilee wasn’t telling the whole truth… And it began to bother him.

“I’ve done all I can for now. She is comfortable and on several monitors. I will go call Charles and see if he can reach her telepathically. From what Jubilation has shared, I believe she’s possibly had a psychotic break as part of a nervous breakdown.”

“Will she pull out of it?”

“Right now, I can’t say. I must talk with Charles. I suppose it depends on the severity of the news she heard. Don’t worry, Logan. She is under my care now and I will do my very best to get her back to you as soon as possible.”

“Thanks, Doc.”


When Jubilee sensed that Hank didn’t need more help; she went up to Logan and started pulling on his arm.

“Come on Wolvie, we need to talk.”

She felt better when he followed her out into the hall. His hands were on his hips as he leaned his back against the wall and he didn’t look happy to say the least.

“I owe you an explanation, don’t I?” Jubilee spoke lowly.

“Well?”

“There’s no easy way to say this Wolvie, so I’m gonna say it. Marie just found out that her parents have been murdered. Yeah, uh huh, by a fricken news at five report. Not only that, they’re calling it a hate crime because someone spray painted, ‘Mutie Lovers,’ on the lawn above their heads.”


Logan felt a pain so deep that he thought his heart went right through his adamantium laced bones and fell on the floor. His palms went to his eyes and he crumbled down the wall to where his heavy frame collapsed the rest of the way to the floor. He felt so heartbroken and so much pain for Marie. She had just gotten her mother’s blessing to marry a few days ago. He could see how she would be devastated. He knew she was more torn up over losing her mother than her father, but it was still a tragic loss of both parents at once. He hoped Hank and Charles could bring her back. The animal inside had felt the bone searing pain the man was feeling. His mate was in pain and now comatose. Then the anger began to rise and Logan let the Wolverine come out. The Wolverine stood and let both sets of claws release. He was going to make those bastards pay for ruining his girl’s life.

“Whoa, Wolvie, where do you think you’re goin’?”

“I’ve gotta do somethin’… Tell Marie I love her and I’ll be back as soon as I can,” he growled.

“Oh no mister! You are stayin’ here. She needs you when she wakes up. Don’t argue with a pregnant woman,” Jubilee yelled as if it would get through his adamantium laced ears.

Then Logan heard Charles calling him through the head phone, and he growled as he stepped into the elevator to go up to his room.

‘Relax Logan, she’s alright. Please stop projecting so that I don’t have a migraine,’ he felt Charles send through to his mind.

‘What do I do?’ Logan was still panicked and wanting to fix his girl. ‘I can’t just sit here and let those bastards get away with this, Chuck.’

‘Marie’s not dead; she’s just in a deep coma-like state I helped induce to help her mind heal.’

‘What if she isn’t alright after she comes out? She’s still gonna be crushed.’

‘I have informed her of your concern and she’ll be fine in a few days. I will help her first thing in the morning, I promise. I have had a long day working with Cerebro or I would get involved deeper tonight. She will be fine, just give it time.’

‘Don’t push yourself to exhaustion on my account…’ Logan thought sarcastically. ‘Just… Don’t take too long… What can I do?’

‘(Sigh) I give my permission for you to go to Meridian, but you didn’t hear that from me. Seventy-two hours is all I can give you. You must stay invisible. I don’t want to hear that you’ve gotten into trouble. Really, I shouldn’t allow you to be a loose cannon, but I can’t stop you when you get like this. You do what you have to, quickly, quietly, and come home. We can’t afford for them to find out that it was mutants that sought revenge for the killings.’

‘I am the best at what I do, but what I do isn’t very nice…’

‘Happy hunting…’

‘Thanks Chuck, I owe ya one.’


Merlotte’s Bar And Grill
Bon Temps, LA.
Monday, June 14, 2010
1:00 P.M.

Logan didn’t need to say good-bye to anyone as he left out the front door. He’d rushed to his room as he’d been talking through the mind phone with the Professor. He’d packed what he needed and was out the door within ten minutes. The keys to the Suburban jingled in his hand as he went out the front door to the garage. About nineteen hard hours later, Logan arrived at the place where he met Marie’s cousin Sookie Stackhouse. He was glad he’d arrived when he had because some pretty darn good scents were coming out of the front door to the place. It signaled in his brain that it was lunch time… He took stock of time and he now had about fifty-four hours left to get some help and get to Meridian before he had to be back in time to see Marie’s lovely eyes wake up to see his face. Getting to her parent’s home would cost him at least another five hours; four if he drove straight through. Logan walked in and picked up his spot he sat in when he shared beers with Marie and her cousin.

A red headed waitress came over, welcomed him to Merlotte’s, and wanted to take his order.

“First off, I need to see Sookie Stackhouse. Is she here?”

“Nah, it’s her day off.”

“Could ya tell me where I can find her? It’s a family emergency.”

“Well why didn’t ya say so sooner. She’s at her house, I think,” the girl pulled out a napkin and wrote Sookie’s address on it. “She’ll probably kill me for givin’ this to ya, but since yer family and all…”

“Thanks. I’ll take a couple double cheeseburgers and fries to go. Add a couple canned sodas if ya got ‘em, and put a rush on it.”

“Sure thing.”

She whisked away and gave Sam in the kitchen the order. Five minutes later, Logan paid for the food and gave the girl a forty dollar tip.


Sookie Stackhouse’s Residence
Bon Temps, LA.
1:30 P.M.

With the Suburban’s GPS he found the place within five miles of Merlotte’s. When he arrived it didn’t take him long to get to the front door where he knocked. Then his sensitive hearing caught male grunts, moans, and a female crying out said male’s name. The eyebrow went up in curiosity before a smug look appeared on his face. Then he rang the doorbell and kept ringing it until he saw that big animal that was with Sookie in the bar. He came up to the door growling… The Wolverine gave an answering growl before he popped the claws. The original idea was to come over and have lunch with Sookie before he told her about Marie. Thank God he’d changed his mind halfway there and ate everything in the bag he’d got from Merlotte’s.

“Whaddya want?”

“Sookie Stackhouse,” the man was dressed in nothing but well-worn blue jeans.

“I’m afraid she’s sleepin’ now.”

“Tell her Logan’s here about Marie and to get her ass down here. I’m on a limited time schedule…”