Author's Chapter Notes:
Ohhh, getting closer to that 4th of July party...

I hope you like this update!
Her mama’s best friend, Bernice, thought she was a vampire because of the way she hid every inch of her skin. Most had comments about how they felt sorry for her parents because they gave birth to a mutant spawn of Satan. They were glad she was probably leaving town after the funeral. Marie wanted to yell at them all for being so intolerant and ignorant but what good would it have done? She kept her head down for most of the service so that people wouldn’t see how red her face was turning from all the anger she had to tamp down until she could go somewhere alone and let it out. Marie was able to at least keep her breakfast down when she listened to the women looking at Alcide and making comments about what they wanted to do to him when he came to give them what he’d promised.

Thankfully, the service wasn’t very long. Then the people disbursed as the minister finished and gave Marie his condolences. Alcide took Sookie to the rented Pilot Ororo and Marie had been driving. Ororo stayed behind with her and for that she was grateful. Logan could have come but he would have spent the service growling at people and she couldn’t have that. No, it had been better that she’d left him at home where the other half of her heart waited for her. Ororo had her arm wrapped around Marie’s to give her support as they watched the plastic boxes go inside metal ones to keep them dry. Then those were welded shut before they were then buried. Marie stayed for all of this. Even though Priscilla just wanted her husband buried at Templestaff, Marie decided to put them there together on the property but separate graves. The staff at Templestaff fed as many people as they could before the guests just gave up on waiting for the last D’ Ancanto to make an appearance and left.


D’Ancanto’s House
Meridian, MS.
12:00 P.M.

After having some lunch and getting back into something more comfortable, Marie, Ororo, Sookie and Alcide moved the boxes over to Templestaff of the things she wanted kept. She made plans to come back down around Thanksgiving to finish up packing up the house. But Sookie told her that she’d take care of it. And then sometime after the New Year, they agreed that it would be time to sell the house. They didn’t know how much luck they’d have considering two people were murdered on the front lawn. Sookie promised to do her best to get it sold. Then the four of them secured the house until their return…


Sookie Stackhouse’s Residence
Bon Temps, LA.
7:00 P.M.

No one felt like cooking when they’d finally driven from Mississippi to Louisiana. Sookie hit the phone and ordered pizza. Somehow, they’d managed to put the tall box of Marie’s leftover things from her bedroom into the back of the Honda Pilot along with everyone’s luggage. Alcide brought that all in while Marie hit the shower; just to get away from the reminders of earlier that day and unwind. Ororo brought up a t-shirt and shorts to sleep in. While they had dinner they played board games and once they bored with that it got down to poker. After sunset at 8:12, Alcide bid the ladies a good night and went off to do his full moon thing. Eric popped up and got an invite inside from Sookie. He missed seeing her and was starting to hit on Marie; just because she looked just like Sookie only with more spunk and darker hair. After that, Sookie took care of sending Eric home… Marie watched from the window. She was glad she was engaged to a man with warm blood in his veins than a creepy cold vampire.


Bon Temps Regional Airport
Bon Temps, LA.
Sunday, June 27, 2010
8:00 A.M.

Marie and Ororo dropped off the rental after loading the box of Marie’s things onto the Blackbird. The women had decided last night to be up early. The earlier they got up then Marie would have time to stop in to Nashville to empty her mother’s safety deposit box. Soon they were in the air and headed for Music City. It wouldn’t be easy on Marie because she had no idea what her mother had stored inside the metal box. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the kind of thing to be able to send Ororo in for her. No, she had to face things herself. But it had to wait for one more day because the bank wasn’t open on Sunday. So they spent some time sight-seeing in Nashville after they rented a room at the local Motel 6. It wasn’t as dingy as some of the places Logan had stayed in but it would suit them fine since it was just overnight anyway.


Community National First Bank
Nashville, TN.
Monday, June 28, 2010
10:00 A.M.

The man in charge of the safety deposit boxes flirted with Marie even though it was wildly inappropriate. She hadn’t worn her rings from Logan on her hand, but they were there around her neck; though they were hidden under her t-shirt. Ororo sat right by her side. The stupid part was that Marie listened in to his thoughts and he assumed that the white haired weather goddess and the grieving Rogue were lesbians just because of the way Ororo had her left arm under Marie’s, to support her in her hour of need. UGH! He had no idea that the women across from him were mutants and engaged or married to mutant men. All she wanted to do was get out of the man’s presence so that she could finish up the rest of her business. Once the identities had been checked and paperwork had been signed then Marie got into the metal box to discover that a box was inside it. The rectangular box was about twelve inches tall and about fifteen inches long. It was sealed with all kinds of colored tape. Normally, she would have stayed and opened it, but she decided to do that at home.

The bank wanted her to open it so that they could make sure what was in it was what had been registered with them. Marie declined and asked for the original piece of paperwork the bank had of its contents. They would have no use for keeping it because she was closing out her mother’s account. ‘Barry,’ the employee told her that they couldn’t give that to her because he had to check with the branch manager, but then Marie used some of the Professor’s gift to change his mind and got what she wanted. Ororo let her get away with it because she wanted to get out of there as well. Having to go through the proper channels would have taken longer and women wanted to get the hell out of the bank. After a stop in at a fast food place for lunch to go, they returned the second rental car and got themselves back in the air before the invisible plane was detected at the airport.


The Hangar
Level 4 Underground
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
5:00 P.M.

Marie had a feeling that Logan would be standing there the minute when the heavy metal door came down and she stepped onto the ramp. What she hadn’t expected was the quietness of the air conditioning cooling the hanger after the above doors had closed. Logan wasn’t there to meet her… She conceded that she deserved it considering the way she left. The Professor was there to meet them though…

“It’s good to have you both back,” he said as he gave Ororo a quick hug and then one to Marie as well. “How was your trip, Marie?”

“Ah wish ah could say it was fantastic. It was bittersweet. Ah got to see mah cousin, got to have a little fun, and ah took care of business. Ah’m sorry we had to take an extra day. Ah’m glad ah’m back.”

“Quite alright. Ororo kept me up to date,” he said as he pointed to his head. “Logan’s out… He should be back later. Would you like me to reach him?”

“Um, no, that’s alright. Ah wanna go take a shower and then a nap sounds wonderful.”

“I will respect your wishes. Dinner will be soon. I will have someone come get you when dinner is served.”

“Thanks. Oh, could you please have the box on the plane taken up to the attic for a while. That would be great.”

“It will be done,” Marie headed off to the X-Women’s locker room to take her shower.


“How did she do?” Charles asked Ororo.

“Much better than I thought. She may have buried some emotions to get through this past weekend, but then I don’t blame her. Listen, I have an idea… Marie is having some doubts about getting married. Totally normal jitters… I was thinking; do you still have that two story cabin there on the west side of the grounds. You know, the one Hank used for teaching his biology and life science classes?”

“Yes, I think I remember it. It hasn’t been used in decades… Why?”

“I thought that maybe you could have Logan fix it up, you know, let him get primal, manly macho. Then have Marie go out there and take him something to eat or drink. Let her watch him…”

“Interesting.”

“Then you could give it to them to live in afterward, maybe as a wedding gift. You knew what you were doing when you had Hank and Logan add on to my greenhouse. It was just what I needed to help me decide. Only this time, just let it be Marie and Logan…”

“And your theory is that they’ll reconnect and recharge with each other…”

“Yes, thereby the wedding will be back on.”

“Very interesting concept… I will take it under consideration.”


Logan’s Room
Instructor’s Wing
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
5:00 A.M.

Logan was up before dawn and looking out the window at the end of the hall. He sighed as he hadn’t slept well at all last night; Marie wasn’t there to share his bed… He couldn’t stop thinking about her, but he had to; he had classes to teach. Xavier turned his School for Gifted Students into a year round school last year. Said the students would be better off for it because the kids wouldn’t lose the knowledge they’d gained all year over a month vacation verses three month’s worth of vacation. The Instructor’s didn’t seem to mind taking more time to be hands on with the students or mind getting a shorter vacation, because Xavier gave them a bigger paycheck. Track A seniors got their month off in May and then came back to take their finals in June if they wanted to graduate in June. Track B juniors got their month off in June to come back in July for their finals before they moved up to senior status in August. Track C sophomores got their month off in July and had to come back for finals in August. And Track D freshmen got their month off in August and came back in September for their finals.

That first day Marie left, Logan practically wore a rut in the wood as he paced the halls. He didn’t like it one bit. He wanted to be there to support her but the feelings that would come from her for him rushing down there to be with her would be bad for the recovery that they were working on propagating. Okay so he couldn’t go south… He had a feeling that if he’d tried to contact her, she might ignore his texts, emails, and voicemails while she was away. So, Logan obeyed the silence. He didn’t contact Marie at all through her phone. He spent time down in the Danger Room to use up the energy or he would go mad thinking of what might happen if Marie was captured by the new Weapon X Program. It was bad enough he had Victor on his mind and his eventual escape. Chuck was so naïve when it came to Sabretooth. He knew what the big cat was capable of and now with his enhancements, he was an extreme danger to the school. He couldn’t understand why Chuck didn’t see it. Or maybe he did and figured that the benefits outweighed the risks. Which lead Logan to push himself harder in the simulations than he ever had before; no more preset pansy tracks from Scooter. No, this one would be specially made for his levels of training and mad, wicked skills.

Okay, that worked for one day… And then he was back to pacing. Worse yet, he started to burn the wick at both ends and as such his attitude got worse. He started losing his cool and growling a lot and scaring some of the freshmen. Some of the seniors who remained at the school before college tried to offer a little comfort to the younger ones because they knew how he could be when it came to Rogue being absent. When he put his fist through his bedroom door, Charles called him down through the mental phone on Friday morning before classes. Then he sat the poor man down for a frank conversation.

“Logan, I know you’ve never been a man of much patience… Marie will return.”

“I know… I just can’t help but worry somethin’s gonna happen. And now with Weapon X reopened…”

“I get your point. Ororo is with her. Perhaps you should take some time off while she’s gone. I have been getting so many worried thoughts about you from everyone here that it’s giving me headaches from all the projections.”

Logan knew if the government wanted Rogue, they’d take her, weather goddess or not… There would be nothing to stop them… Nothing.

“Sorry,” he guiltily looked down at the hands in his lap. “What would you suggest I do?”

“Go for a ride, work on what’s in the garage, and read. Just relax a while.”

“You want me to get Marie off my mind, is that it?”

“Not exactly, why don’t you go meditate? I know that has helped you to relax in the past.”

“Look, I’ll try to let up on the kids as much as I can, but the animal isn’t at ease while Marie’s gone.”

“I understand. Your feral nature is to protect her and she’s not here. I can’t imagine that it is easy to control both sides of you with Marie absent.”

“No, it ain’t. Listen, I’ll see ya later.”

“Yes. Have a good day, Logan.”


Boat House
Xavier’s School for Gifted Students
Westchester, NY.
Saturday, June 26, 2010
6:30 A.M.

Logan was up and sitting cross-legged on the back porch of the Boat House, trying to meditate like Chuck wanted him to. Two minutes later, he heard something on the wind… It was very faint but it sounded like… Like someone was missing their mate. He couldn’t be sure it was Marie because he’d never heard Marie howl like that. Sure they’d done it a couple times on full moons, but they’d been together… So he knew her playful howl, not the kind of howl he’d just heard. The more he thought on it, it sounded like there was some emotion in it and wondered if it was Marie… Was she in trouble? He prayed not as he stood and opened up his diaphragm… Logan began to howl back that he missed her too, in a long and mournful way, full of emotion… He hoped she heard it. The animal was pleased that Logan allowed him to call out to his missing mate. Then the man turned and went inside for coffee… He’d need it since he was going to teach automotive for those that needed a little extra help getting things learned, the ones that needed a more hands on individual instruction. Logan walked up slowly from the Boat House to the Staff Kitchen to grab some breakfast and he could tell it was going to be a hot day by the time he reached the door. Once inside he found Jubilee raiding the fridge. Then she turned around and cracked an egg over a warmed up pan.

‘Damn, she looked about ready to pop that kid out,’ he thought as he watched her fry an egg.

“Morning Wolvie, everything okay with you?”

“Mornin’ Yellow, yeah… Why?”

“Heard ya howlin’ out there and wondered. I know ya miss Roguey. Want an egg sandwich?”

“I was just gonna grab a muffin,” he spoke as he watched her put a couple long pickle slices on top of the bagel bottom and was turned off by Jubilee’s breakfast.

“Don’t upset a pregnant woman Logan, have one. It’s Roguey’s recipe. I know you’ll love it…”

Well, he’d give it a shot to please the pregnant Jubilee, and also for Marie.

“Sure, I’ll take one,” no reason he couldn’t start small and build…

He pulled up a seat at the table near the window and grabbed the sports section of his newspaper.

“Nuh uh, you’re gonna eat two. They’re addictive… I swear.”

“Fine, just hurry it up. I gotta go teach in the garage in an hour.”

“You’ve got time…” she teased as she cracked two more eggs open; like she knew something he didn’t know and it bugged him a little.


By the time she was making the bacon, his mouth was watering…

“How much longer?”

“Comin’ up,” she uttered as she waddled around the kitchen counter and brought him a plate with two of these egg sandwiches she said were Marie’s recipe. The thing was almost five inches high!

“What’s in this thing?”

“Not sayin’ a word ‘til you take a bite, chew, and swallow…”

He lowly growled, but he picked up the sandwich and took a bite… He chewed and swallowed. It wasn’t half bad. It was a sweet onion bagel slit in half and toasted in a pan with butter until crispy and then mayo spread on top and bottom Then the long bread and butter pickle slices, fried egg, two bacon slices, and then a thick slice of Velveeta cheese on top; and then the top of the bagel on top of the masterpiece. The Velveeta cheese melted over everything and was like the glue to hold it all together. Logan had to admit he liked it. He thought the addition of the pickle was just a pregnancy thing that Jubilee had added because she had weird cravings. But that didn’t fit because she said it was Marie’s recipe…

“Not bad, not bad.”

“See, told ya. She invented it for me when you and Remy were off playin’ around that time we were all in New Orleans. The kiddo in here can’t get enough of them and Auntie Roguey’s not here, so I had to make do. She has another kind of egg sandwich. It has chili in it but she didn’t make me that one cause she said she likes to make that one for winter breakfasts, not summer.”

Logan locked that little tidbit away to have her make him one when it got cold. And there it was again… He was back to missing Marie all over again. He killed off both sandwiches and thanked Jubilee before he folded the sports section in half and tucked it under his arm to head out to the Garage. The temperature had already climbed by the time he reached the outer door of the Garage. Fortunately, there was air conditioning inside.
Chapter End Notes:
Well, how'd we do? Let us know!