Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, I know I know....it's been a while. But I promise I have not abandoned you! I have not! Life's just been...life. doctorg is still my BETA and fabulous as ever! This chapter is short but fun!
CHAPTER 5: Snack

Marie closed the door of the fridge using her elbow. Her hands, otherwise occupied holding a box and a squeeze bottle, were unavailable. She scooted her fur covered feet across the tiled kitchen floor over to the counter where she placed the items and then lifted herself up onto the stool. She had to readjust her bottom a couple times, her bigger size quite unaccustomed to such a small stool.

She rolled her eyes and muttered. “Even my ass is bigger...”

She kicked off her slippers, which were just too hot for July and hooked her feet on the bar at the base of the stool. She reached for the box and quickly opened it, the tip of her tongue peeking out unconsciously.

“Hey, chica.”

She nearly flopped backwards from surprise. Regaining her balance she placed a hand over her heart. “Good Lord, Jubes. Don’t do that. You’re gonna scare me into pre-term labor.”

Her spunky friend snorted. “Naw. That’s gonna be Logan and his annoying attitude lately.”

Marie smiled. “Take it easy on the guy. He hasn’t been sleeping well.”

Jubes laughed. “Shouldn’t it be the other way around? You’re the one who’s gonna spit out a baby in a month. Why is he having all the trouble?”

Marie smiled. “‘Cause I’ve been using him as an extra pillow.” She pulled out one of the Hershey’s chocolate bars from the box and began to unwrap it. “I end up all over the bed trying to get comfy. Last night I had both my legs completely over his stomach...to keep my knees up and relieve the pressure off my back...” she smiled, clearly amused. “He thinks I’ve done lost my mind.”

Jubes hopped onto the stool across from her. She did it with so little effort, Marie had to take a moment to give her a good glare. The tiny Asian didn’t even notice, so Marie went back to unwrapping her bar of chocolate. Jubes grabbed up her hair and started tying it up into a ponytail. Marie noticed the small wince at the stretch. Over six months of intensive physical therapy had greatly improved Jubes’s range of motion in her shoulders. She was back up par as far as the team was concerned. But the muscles still tightened easily and it caused some pain. Wearing a tank-top, Jubes’s scars were visible -- one just next to her clavicle and the opposite further out, basically on her upper arm. Both had corresponding marks on her back. They’d faded nicely, thanks to Hank, but they’d always be visible. Warrior wounds.

Jubes grabbed the box and snatched another bar out. “Can’t imagine why. Chocolate? I thought you were supposed to have like super weird cravings or something. You’re up in the middle of the night, eight months pregnant, in the kitchen, with chocolate? What happened to pickles and ice cream or some nasty stuff like that?”

Marie finished unwrapping her bar completely. Jubes didn’t bother. She ripped off a chunk of paper and foil and bit off a sweet chunk. “You’re such a boring pregnant lady, Rogue,” Jubes teased.

Marie smiled and shrugged. “Not everything has to be outrageous, Jubes.”

That earned a snort. Which was immediately followed by a frozen face of startlement. Marie had reached for the squeeze bottle.

“You gotta be kidding me...” Jubes said.

Marie smiled and proceeded to squeeze a generous portion in squiggles over the chocolate bar. Her mouth was watering in anticipation.

Jubes sat up and back in abject horror. “Seriously?”

Placing the yellow bottle back on the table she licked her lips dramatically and took a nice big bite. The tang from the mustard offset the sweet chocolate perfectly. She swallowed and sighed in enjoyment. When Jubes did nothing but sit and gawk, Marie took another large bite.

Jubes brought a hand up to her mouth and gagged before flying off the stool and fleeing from the room.

Marie called after her, “Would you have preferred ice cream and pickles?” She chuckled through her next bite.
Chapter End Notes:
LOL... ick, yes? Yes, I really did do that when I was pregnant and my poor hubby just smiled kindly and refrained from any comment... LOL More to come. I won't abandon you...even if it takes a little while!