Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok. So I totally blame doctorg for me not posting faster! I swear! She said, 'Hey, have you read so-and-so's something or another?' and I said, 'Why no, I haven't. I shall go now and read.' And off I went. And then she would say, 'I just finished this person's epic. You would like it.' And I would respond. 'Wow. I'll go check it out." And on it went... So, really. This is not my fault. I am innocent of any crime and if you must lynch someone, let it be her.
Now. Since I've finished throwing my BETA under the preverbial bus, I shall go ahead and post my next chapter. I hope you enjoy!
CHAPTER 3: Breathe

She hadn’t even had time to process Moira’s statement before Logan jerked to a stand and slammed open the door to the office. Marie spun around in her seat to see him angrily making his way across the medlab, hands running through his hair and then practically ripping the sliding glass doors open so he could leave.

She sat there in utter stupefaction, mouth hanging open in surprise.

Hank cleared his throat after a moment. “This is a lot of information to take in,” he tried. “I’m sure it’s nothing, Rogue.”

Her mind finally kicked in and she tried to figure out what had just happened. Why had he stormed off like that? He had just...completely abandoned her to deal with this by herself. The painful sting that clenched her throat was beyond words.

She slowly turned to face forward in her seat once more, trying desperately not to cry. When she looked up, both Moira and Hank gave her sympathetic smiles of encouragement.

It was too much.

“I...” She could barely speak. “I think I need to...” She motioned to the door.

Marie wasn’t altogether sure if she’d meant go after Logan or something completely different. She just needed to breathe...and be alone so she could properly fall apart without witnesses.

Hank nodded. “Yes, yes. Naturally. You need time to absorb this new information.” He stammered through his next phrase. “Do you need assistance getting back to your room? You look a bit too pale for my liking.”

She shook her head. “No. Thank you, but no. I just...you’re right. It’s a lot. I just need to get some air.” She stood, one hand against the wall to support her. “I’ll come down tomorrow maybe? We can finish then?”

Moira nodded. “I’m here for a couple of days. Feel free to come and see us whenever you feel ready.”

She tried to smile and was sure it came out looking like a grimace. “Thanks.” She turned and wobbled through the medlab and down the hall.

By the time she made it to her room, she was on the verge of hyperventilating. She felt stupid. Why hadn’t she thought about the repercussions of her actions?

She sank down into her chair and looked down at trembling hands. She’d taken everything from Sabretooth, never even thinking that it would be permanent. Of all the times she’d taken from mutants, those powers always faded. Magneto had faded. Even Logan’s healing had slowly died down after Liberty Island...and she’d just about killed him that time. Some faded slower than others, but they did always fade.

She rubbed her head in aggravation when the floor vibrated, music from the downstairs hall. The older students playing their music at an ungodly level.

That’s when it dawned on her. Not everything had faded. Logan’s healing had slowly slipped away, but his heightened senses, those had stayed. Not nearly as honed or sensitive as Logan’s original ones, but they had stayed.

She stood and paced the room, twisting her hands frantically. Three months...and her healing hadn’t faded one iota. She’d cracked her head just the other day and it had healed up as fast as it would have on Logan.

And her test results....God, her test results. Those were undeniable. She stomped her foot. Why hadn’t they figured this out when she’d gotten Logan’s hearing and sense of smell?

’Cause they didn’t take blood samples and run everything until after that, months later. They never would have known about a genetic change at that point..

She sighed and rubbed her head again, fighting the urge to stomp on her floor when the music below turned to a heavy bass beat.

“Shit,” she spat petulantly. This was something she should have considered. Why hadn’t she?

Because he threatened to come after Logan....after the baby. She wrung her hands together. She’d been so absorbed in her fear that he’d never give up chasing them that she’d never even considered what it would do to her to pull all of it. She’d just assumed it would fade away in time, like every other time...almost.

She hadn’t looked before she jumped.

The realization struck her with terror. Her hand came up to clap over a terrified cry.

She’d changed. Her genes had changed. The very science that determined her a Class Four had changed.

Was she even a Class Four anymore? Moira hadn’t mentioned it. And she probably would have, being what that meant.

But at the same time, she’d just dropped this healing and non-aging bomb right in Marie’s lap. Maybe she was trying to build up to it. God, a Class Five.

She felt her lungs contract painfully. It was becoming impossible to take a full breath of air.

What had she done? What did this mean? Was she going to lose control? She would no longer age? And Logan... what was he thinking about all of this? He obviously thought it was pretty bad or he wouldn’t have stormed off like he had.

She tried to breathe, but the world was becoming foggy. She braced herself against the wall, bending over...trying...and failing....to breathe.

He’d left her. Left her. The world dimmed and she reached out to grab at the shadow of some random piece of furniture. She missed.
Chapter End Notes:
I'm only just a LITTLE ashamed of my commentaries from above. *grin* My BETA is great, and I need her, so... I'll take a LITTLE bit of the blame...just a little. Hope you enjoyed! I'll be more prompt with my next chapter! REVIEWS might help..in fact, I know they will! : )