Author's Chapter Notes:
Aproveite!
9:41 am

Marie exited the Professor’s office, breathing heavily as tears continued to stream down her cheeks. She knew she and Rogue had gone too far by blaming the Professor but that was how she saw things, how she felt and Carol made sure to use those things against her every time she had the chance. It was one of the reasons of why she thought she should just give up on adopting Adam.

And yes, she was mad, she was beyond furious. She couldn’t easily forget that they’d failed her. They should’ve seen the signs. Most importantly, Logan should have seen them. This was the reason she’d changed. The same reason she’d easily gone to the other side. Hope meant nothing to her now.

And if she blamed Logan, it was because he’d promised to look out her. She hadn’t asked that of him…why did he have to save her then…why had he even picked her up in the first place…what could she possibly offer him that anyone else couldn’t?

Growling and shaking her head furiously, she headed for the main door, slamming it close behind her back. She needed some time to herself, at least before the Professor had any time to think about what she’d said or before he ratted her out to Logan. Wearing nothing more but slippers and flimsy pajamas, she broke into an awkward run toward the surrounding woods. Holding her side as if she could contain the pain from spreading further and breathing deeply in and out through her nose she promised herself that she would forget Logan …at any and all costs.


I hear... a voice say "Don't be so blind"...
it's telling me all these things...
that you would probably hide...
am I... your one and only desire...
am I the reason you breathe...
or am I the reason you cry...

Always... always... always... always... always... always... always...
I just can't live without you...

I love you...
I hate you...
I can't get around you...
I breathe you...
I taste you...
I can't live without you...
I just can't take any more...
this life of solitude...
I guess that I’m out the door...
and now I’m done with you...

I feel... like you don't want me around...
I guess I’ll pack all my things...
I guess I’ll see you around...
Its all... been bottled up until now...
as I walk out your door...
all I hear is the sound...

Always... always... always... always... always... always... always...
I just can't live without you...

I love you...
I hate you...
I can't get around you...
I breathe you...
I taste you...
I can't live without you...
I just can't take any more...
this life of solitude...
I guess that I’m out the door...
and now I’m done with you...

I love you...
I hate you...
I can't live without you...

I left my head around your heart...
Why would you tear my world apart...

Always... always... always... always...

I see... the blood all over your hands...
does it make you feel... more like a man...
was it all... just a part of your plan...
the pistol's shakin' in my hands...
and all I hear is the sound...

I love you...
I hate you...
I can't live without you...
I breathe you...
I taste you...
I can't live without you...
I just can't take any more...
this life of solitude...
I guess that I’m out the door...
and now I’m done with you...

I love you...
I hate you...
I can't live without you...

I love you...
I hate you...
I can't live without you...
I just can't take any more...
this life of solitude...
I pick myself off the floor...
and now I’m done with you...
Always...
Always...
Always...


Dining Hall
Noon


“Hey kid, mind if Ah sit with ya,” Marie arched her brow, waiting for the eight year olds’ reply. Adam nodded his head and looked at Marie, his brows pulled together into a frown.

“What,” she asked.

“Nothing,” he shook his head, reaching for his milk before turning his eyes back to the woman in front of him. It didn’t take a touch for the child to figure out the woman had changed since the last time they’d spoken. Noting his hesitation, Marie sighed and leaned forward, her gloved hands placed neatly on the table, her fingers laced.

“Ah’m sorry we haven’t spoken,” she began. “Ah’m not exactly reliable,” she looked around the room, trying to think of another word but it was true and it was appropriate. She wasn’t reliable in any sense of the word.

“What do you mean,” he continued to frown, his little hands pushing his tray away. He hadn’t eaten much except for a cookie and his milk, his lunch was still untouched. She looked around the room again, her eyes meeting Logan’s for a brief moment. Growling quietly, she turned her attention back to Adam and reached for his tray before she rose to her feet.

“Why don’t we talk ‘bout this somewhere else,” she asked him. “Come on, Ah’ll be ya lunch in the city.” The young child followed Marie, who quickly disposed of the child’s tray and took his gloved hand in her’s, leading him out of the dining room.

Rogue,” the Professor’s calm voice rang through her head. She stopped and calmly turned to look at the man sitting across the room with Hank and Storm.

Yes Professor,” she replied, voice equally calm and controlled.

Adam looked up at Marie, following her gaze across the room before whispering, “Is he gonna let us go?” Marie looked down at the boy, leaning down to his level, smiling reassuringly. “Why don’t ya go change outta yer uniform an’ grab a jacket fer yerself,” she asked him. The boy nodded his head and ran out of the room before Marie could even tell him not to run.

Straightening herself out, she turned her attention back to her Professor asking, “Is there a problem?

No, of course not. I was just wondering why Logan couldn’t accompany the both of you. A young girl and child alone in the city is a major target for trouble,” he gently explained. Rolling her eyes and sighing in indignation she turned to glare at Logan, who was casually twirling a set of keys in one hand, his lunch already disposed off.

This isn’t an option, is it,” she asked, arching a brow.

“No,” Logan’s and the Professor’s voice both echoed through the room, replying to her question.

“Ready,” Adam’s voice rang out excitedly behind her as he came to a halt, his gloved hand seeking her’s as he looked up at her. “Can we go,” he asked.

Marie looked down at her son, smiling at him as she took in his eager sight. He’d changed into jean, a blue button down shirt with a white t-shirt underneath, and sneakers; in his other hand he held a green jacket. Unable to contain some joy herself, she chuckled quietly before replying, “Eh, the Professor assigned meh a babysitter.”

Adam’s eyes searched the dining room, leaning forward from his place beside his mother to find such babysitter, his little brows pulled into a frown as he thought. “Who,” he asked Marie.

“Me,” Logan replied, with a small smile as he looked down at the child, probably noticing his sense of fashion just like Marie had.

“Remind ya of someone,” she asked Logan as she urged the child out of the room.

“Oh yeah,” he said casually.

Back at the table with the Professor, Hank couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight of the child and Marie. If she weren’t so young, he could almost swear she was the child’s biological mother. As to their chaperon, well, let’s just say it was a close tie between Scott and Logan, although he was leaning more towards Logan, after all, the boy was already showing signs that he and Logan’ sense of fashion were exact if not for the sneakers.

“Hmm,” Hank said to himself as he took a long sip of his icy-cold water. Maybe he could do something about those darned tennis shoes, he grinned.
Chapter End Notes:
Next, they're gonna discuss the pros and cons of the adoption!