Story Notes:
Note: The overall idea was inspired by the upcoming movie Safe House with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.

Even though this is AU, I'm still using events from the movies, some characters from the X-men Evolution series, and places from the comics that have been altered for the purpose of this fic.

Young Xavier, Erik, Raven, Emma, Moira, and Hank are the same from X-men: First Class. Raven and Xavier have the same brother/sister thing from the movie. Sabertooth is the Liev Schreiber version.

Warning: Subject to ramblings and all mistakes are my own. Don't own jackshit...etc.

Because I'm switching around a lot of stuff, they may seem out of character…but I have to do it. This includes a more negative view of Xavier, a torturous Jean courtesy of the Phoenix, a mellower Sabertooth, and a more humane Magneto.

Initially, this was supposed to be a 3-part PWP where Logan and Marie meet, grow closer, and have hot good vs. evil sex with all other details thrown to the wind.

Sadly, that plan was scraped when my friend pointed out that I'd have too many gaping plot holes if I just ended after the smut part. So now, I have my ending and the general arcs outlined, but I can tell you it will take me a damn long time to update.

This is still a Logan/Marie fic…but throwing them at each other will be delayed.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Italics = thoughts

Bold = either used for emphasis or flashbacks... you'll be able to tell which is which

Don't forget to review!
Ten….eleven….twelve….thirteen…fourteen….fifteen…sixteen…a…window?...seventeen…right turn…..eighteen….nineteen…twenty….elevator….

One of the first things you were taught during training, or learned instinctively if you were messed up enough, was to know your exits. When you're caught and the other guy wants you alive, they will blindfold you; maybe even throw a bag over your head until they can get you on their turf.

You have to rely on your other senses. Most likely, your hands will be bound. Your captors will escort you. If they grip you tightly, it means they desperately need you and you are too valuable to lose.

At this point, you have your feet, ears and maybe your nose left if you aren't busy sniffing out the papery smell of the inside of a brown bag.

They will lock you away and wear you down for any and all information. You refuse to break. They will grow desperate and slowly sink to levels they never dreamed of reaching if they haven't already.

If you think torture is one thing, try torture with mutants.

The ones with grotesque physical manifestations will intimidate you first. You will stare at their ugly carcasses as they keep a brooding presence. They make you think they will pummel your face beyond recognition…but these are the harmless ones.

Then come the ones that can change forms. Their mutations are internal. They may throw spikes at you or try to burn you alive. A little artful dodging will protect your hide.

Finally, the normal looking ones come. If you think you are safe, think again. These are the ones who can make you do what they want. They will attempt to bend and force you to their will. Often, they will be successful. Of course, they could come first and extract the necessary information, but that depends on how pressed for time they are.

These normal looking mutants are too cocky. They want to step on your dignity and ground it down into the earth. So, they come last. They feel they are extra special when they appear as a last resort and throw their Class 5 mutations in everyone's face.

Mutant lie detectors are beatable. You keep thinking happy thoughts, believe you're in control and whatever you say is true…then your heart rate and scent shall not deceive you.

Telepaths are okay if you know how to block them. Having extensive training in matters of the mind are helpful. In fact, having a touch of telepathy yourself goes a long way as well. You can get a reading off your captors and know how to play them.

But the real question comes down to getting past mutations that can adversely affect you. For instance, you could have the mutation to move at the speed of light, but what if your captor can bring your movement to a screeching halt with a blink of a telekinetic eye? Or better yet, what if your captor has the ability or technology to turn off your mutation?

Two floors down…maybe subterranean level….one…two….three…four….door on the left….

Holding cell…


They push you down onto the hard backed metallic chair and chain you to it. They finally remove the bag. It's dark, but they don't know you can see them very well. Cyclops' visor gives off an eerie reddish glow of the room and an outline of who else is here. There's a small cot on the side and a hole in the ground for your daily functions.

The crazy redhead Jean Grey beside Cyclops is trying to read your mind, but you won't give her the benefit. A calmer presence is near the door. Beast. You may be able to play up to him. He'd be easy to crack if he was to come question you first.

They leave the room. The door is loudly locked and bright lights are turned on that blind you. As if that ever stopped you. Two seconds later your chains fall away so that you regain some movement to go relieve yourself.

They don't know you have the upper hand here, but you can't make your move yet. It will be a few more hours...possibly days.

Cyclops and Beast come first after long hours of no contact. They chain you back to the chair. They don't question you. Instead, Beast comes to draw some blood and check your vital signs. Maybe give you some of that goop they claim is food. Soon enough, they are gone.

You know the X-men. They try so hard to force others to follow a rule they don't hold to themselves. They are brash, which means they will be unpredictable in their questioning. Your previous notions will have to be adjusted.

They want to wear down your patience. They think they have all the time in the world. They believe they know what they're doing. Scare you, torture you. Oh yes…these leathered angels are capable of torture.

Well, cockiness comes with a price. They don't know what you can do.

Let the games begin.