Author's Chapter Notes:
"I am defeated, and know it, if I meet any human being from whom I find myself unable to learn anything."
George Herbert Palmer
It seems as though all of the mansion's shenanigans started with her arrival. Of course none of the highly unusual events that have come about since then are to be blamed on her. The steps Erik took in order to bring about his plan of mutant dominance are to blame. His actions fueled the already burning conflict between humans and mutants. A conflict, or rather a war, I suspect he will continue to put forth his best efforts to win.

I had been tracking a mutant, with some unexpected difficulty, through the minds of Erik's accomplices. He had always been exceptionally resourceful, and, for a reason unbeknownst to me at the time, I was not able reach his mind. It was Mystique who proved to be an invaluable informant; she had always been especially easy to read even without the aid of my telepathy. I quickly sent Scott and Ororo as soon as the mutant began to head on a stable path, leaving Jean on stand-by should medical attention be needed.

When they returned from intervening in Erik's attempted kidnapping, I had been surprised to see not one but two mutants.

Naturally, I assumed Logan was who Erik had been after, given his unique metal-coated skeleton. I should have known Erik would not want a mutant for such a superficial reason. He already had countless metallic weapons at his disposal. There was no need for him to invest so much time in chasing down another. My foolish mistake nearly cost us her life. If it had not been for Logan she would have died atop the Statue of Liberty. The lengths Logan was willing to go to in order to save her surprised us all.

In all the time I have spent at the mansion not once had I had the pleasure of witnessing the beginning of such a special relationship.

They are an odd pairing. A practically immortal, violent man suffering from amnesia, and a young untouchable girl thrown out of her home by the ones she had called family. They did attract quite a few curious stares during their first few days here. I'm not sure Logan noticed them; he is not so easily fazed, but she did, and her adjustment period was considerably greater.

Much has changed since then. She has grown in maturity and confidence as I am sure Logan has noticed. Logan, a man I once believed to be stable, has also gone through his own changes, many of which he probably would not admit to.

Strangely, they are the only non-telepathic mutants with whom I have to make a great effort to read.

Logan has the barrier of his Adamantium skull, the same metallic alloy that coats the helmet Erik uses to keep his thoughts hidden. I am sure it comes as a great comfort to Logan to know that his mind cannot be so easily penetrated; he highly values his privacy.

The cause for her mental barrier, however, is much more complex. Her mind is not just her mind. It is a collection of various people housed within a single body. In order to enter her mind I must go through a difficult mental trek which entails spending a great deal of time sifting through all those she has absorbed. It can be done, but it is a tedious task that ends in severe headaches and exhaustion on both sides. It is only with the aid of Cerebro that I can easily pull the diverse sets of minds apart.

I find it much less demanding to simply talk with her.

I am grateful she returns the sentiment.

Through our many insightful conversations I have learned that she truly is a remarkable young lady.

I have entered the minds of many throughout my lifetime, and I have learned the ability to feel compassion, compassion without a hint of selfishness, is a rare gift. One she possesses. One all of the X-men possess. It is why they put the needs of others above their own. It is why they risk their safety to help bring harmony between humans and mutants. However, simply being compassionate does not mean she is without her flaws. It is no secret that she has her moments of, shall we say, unbridled fury, but it is never in an attempt to cause another pain. Whatever distress she might cause another is purely accidental, as the young Mr. Drake can attest to.

It was after one of her sporadic outbursts that I learned of another rare gift of hers.

"Now, would you care to inform me of the events that transpired downstairs?"

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"Are you certain? Scott tells me you seemed distraught. Perhaps I can help."

"You want to help?"

"Of course I do."

"I'm sorry. It-it never seemed like you wanted to before."

"What do you mean?"

"You're just our professor."

"Go on."

"You haven't done anything to help students in the past. If we have a problem we usually go to one of the other teachers. It was never an option to come to you for help."

"It is always an option, my dear. You do not, nor do any of the other students, need an invitation to ask for my assistance."

"But we do need to know it is an option. We've all heard stories of how you've helped students in the past master their mutations, and we want that. We need someone who knows about the nature of mutations; who's studied them, and to be honest, as great as Hank is, he isn't here nearly as often as we'd like, and he's always busy in the med lab anyway."

"Have you always felt this way?"

"No, just since… just since we came back from Alkali Lake."

"I see."

"Maybe… maybe if I'd been able to help—"

"But my dear, you did help. You helped us all greatly. I truly am sorry I haven't offered you my assistance sooner, my apologies."

How remarkable is it that I, a man with the gift of knowing the deepest thoughts of those around me, can fail to see what is right before me? During our brief conversation, she helped to make me realize how truly blind I had become. My mutation had always been of great benefit to me, but I had come to rely on it for far too much, and, in the process, I neglected to see how the students needed me.

She helped to remind me of my purpose in creating the school.

Soon afterward I made the resolution to shed my political exterior and return to my teaching roots. Teaching had always been a passion of mine.

She has a way of unknowingly changing a person for the better. That, I believe, is her true power.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!