Author's Chapter Notes:
muņeca - doll
Marie stepped inside, the door chime reverberating through the dim, deserted restaurant.

Jose looked up from the cash register, and his expression turned meaner than usual. All of Marie’s senses went on alert. He ran his tongue across his teeth, looking her up and down as if he were hungry--and not in a sexual way.

Marie folded her arms across her midsection, staying near the door. Last time, she told herself again. Gonna be fine. Just get through this. “I—I—um, just droppin’ by to get my pay and my tip share. Sir,” she added.

He said nothing.

Marie wasn’t sure what his silence meant. That was what she hated most with him: the uncertainty. Her fear ratcheted up a notch. “You promised, remember? Last night you were s’posed to—you promised.” She hoped that didn’t come out whiny. Or accusatory. Or wrong in any way. Her chest began to feel tight.

His expression turned placid, and that made Marie even more wary. He waved her over, going back to counting the bills. When she didn’t budge, he rolled his eyes and waved her over again. “Come here, muņeca,” he coaxed. “I stopped by last night, but you were already gone. I’ll pay you now.”

She knew he was lying about coming by last night. But she didn’t know if this was a trick. Sometimes he could be nice like this . . . but usually . . .

She would have to come within arm’s reach to get her money from him, one way or another. Marie debated whether it was even worth it, whether she should just forget the money and disappear and hope he never found her.

But she needed to get some funds for herself, in case—well, in case Logan decided he didn’t want to ‘keep’ her anymore.

Don’t be a wimp. It’s just pain. Get over there. Her teeth caught her lower lip, and her purposely bare hands fidgeted as she tentatively made her way around the tables to Jose.

When she came up a couple of feet short of him, he reached out as if to beckon her again, but darted at the last second and grabbed her hair. He fisted his hand and pulled hard, jerking her toward him and twisting her head awkwardly.

Marie yelped. I’ll drain him, she told herself, as she always told herself, trying to bend her head back the way he wanted so he wouldn’t pull her hair any harder.