Marie indulged herself in Logan’s warm embrace until it became too dangerous. She was exhausted, and her eyelids kept drooping. She forced herself to leave the warmth of his body, but had hardly made it to the other side of the bed before his hand clamped down on her arm.

He tugged her close, wrapping her up in his arms and legs and urging her to be still. “Sleep, Marie,” he growled.

There was something strange about that sound. About his whole appearance and bearing. It wasn’t bad, just strange.

Marie thought of his unusual-looking friends, hoping for the hundredth time that they were in town for the mutant affairs convention. She strongly suspected they were, but she didn’t want to say anything about it, just in case.

After all, revealing that she was a mutant had never brought her anything but trouble.

“Where y’goin?” Logan grumbled in annoyance when she tried once more to wriggle out of his arms.

Marie bit her lip. “Um, just—just hafta use the bathroom.”

“You thinkin’ about sneakin’ out on me?”

She had been, a little. But he genuinely seemed to want her to stay. And it wasn’t as if she had anywhere to go. “Not—not really. No.”

He grunted, kissing her neck and running his hands over her a few times before he finally released her. “Hurry back.”

Marie took a tired breath and rose from the bed, crossing the room. She closed herself in the bathroom, debating what to do. She wanted to stay so badly, but she’d never fallen asleep with anyone before. She didn’t think she could forgive herself if her control slipped and she hurt Logan.

He had called her skin beautiful. If only he knew.

It was the part of her body she hated most, the reason she left home, the reason she never finished high school, the reason she was all alone in the world, living an existence that she had begun to doubt was even worth it. She hadn’t been exaggerating when she said she had thought of killing herself.

Was this some kind of sign? Had the powers-that-be finally taken some pity on her and sent something this good into her life?

Marie pushed the stupid hope aside. She didn’t believe in those kinds of things, not anymore. Some higher power, some greater plan—yeah, right. People always threw out phrases like ‘meant to be’ and ‘fate’.

Frankly, she just hoped those things weren’t real. Because if they were, what kind of person did that make her, that this was the fate she deserved? She was homeless again. She had worked so hard to get that pay-by-the-week motel room, had been so proud of herself. Four walls and a ceiling, a real bed to sleep on and a real shower, and now it was gone. The best thing in her life was gone and just like that, she was living out of her car again. No ID, no connections, no prospects for the future. Not even a landlord to report her missing if she disappeared. No one to give a damn whether she lived or died.

Except . . . maybe Logan. He cared about her. She had no idea why. But he did, she could feel it.

Oh, shut up. Quit lying to yourself. You’re invisible. You’re nothing. You’re nobody. You don’t even deserve to live.

She couldn’t tell whose voice that was anymore, as the people she had accidentally touched over the years faded and blended into her. The last person she touched before gaining control was a stripper named Tina. The woman had been so coked out when she grabbed Marie outside of her motel room, it had been a struggle to pry her loose even after the painful pull began.

Marie felt a little guilty, and a lot ashamed, the first time she harnessed Tina’s skills for money. But those skills had helped her tonight. Seeing the effect she had on Logan, the look of sheer awe he gave her as she pleasured him, was the first taste of happiness she’d known in a long time. She supposed it was all worth it, to be able to give him that. For the first time, she had enjoyed dancing for someone, taken pride rather than shame in her confidence and ability to please a man.

Well, Tina’s confidence and ability. But Logan didn’t need to know that.




Chapter End Notes:
Arg. I gotta go. Will try to post the next few chapters tonight though! Thanks for reading :)