Logan’s jeans hung off his hips, but he didn’t particularly care as he made the few steps to the king-size bed and laid Marie out, allowing his palm to trail the length of her body before he pulled away.

“S-so I’m staying?” she asked softly, almost hopefully, and her voice seemed to bring every event of the night crashing down on him. All that confidence she had displayed moments ago somehow vanished just as abruptly as it appeared.

Could she really think he was just going to get what he wanted from her and then kick her out? Jesus. He must have come off as even more of an asshole than he’d thought.

His mouth opened and closed a few times before he could even manage to speak. “Of course. God, Marie, of course. I meant what I said, baby, every word. I’ll take care of you. You know that, right?”

“Um . . .”

Logan felt his stomach drop as a sickening feeling settled over him. “Shit. Oh my God. Marie, tell me you didn’t just do that ‘cause you were scared I’d kick you out.”

“No.” She met his eyes. “No, Logan, I did that because I wanted to.”

She was telling the truth. He sighed in relief. “Good. I’m gonna take care of you, so you don’t have to doubt that for one second, okay? That doesn’t have anything to do with sex or you givin’ me somethin’ in return or, or anything like that. That’s just . . . it’s just there for you, understand?”

She crossed her arms over her body, fidgeting a little on the crisp white comforter. “I think you should sleep a little, take some time to sober up, and—“

He growled. “I’m not drunk!” Of course she wouldn’t believe him, though. She’d seen him down enough liquor in the past two hours to put most men under the table—or maybe in the bathroom puking their guts out.

Marie flinched a little at his tone, sitting up in bed. “Okay,” she said shakily. “You’re not drunk. I believe you. I’m sorry.”

Logan sat heavily on the edge of the bed, disappointed by the tinge of fear creeping back into her scent. The thought crossed his mind, not for the first time, that somebody must have hit her, must have abused her to make her so fearful. Whoever the bastard was, he wasn’t long for this world if Logan had anything to say about it.

But if someone could train her to be so meek, so scared, then surely he could train her to be the opposite. He rested his hand on her leg, rubbing soothingly when she flinched. “No, I’m sorry. I’m sorry, Marie. Didn’t mean to yell at you, honey.” He trailed his fingers up to the edge of her thigh-high and slowly unclasped her garter straps.

Marie’s heartbeats began to even out a little. “S’okay.”

Logan unhurriedly rolled her stocking down, kissing his way along her skin as he exposed it. He stopped at her knee. “You’ve got the most beautiful skin, baby. Like porcelain. I love it.”

Marie looked away, her arms still folded over her stomach. “Thanks. Thanks for sayin’ that.“ Her voice grew a little thick. “That’s really nice.”

She had cute feet. Little, with red toenails. He gave her a quick foot rub, then took hold of her other leg, tugging her towards him so he could repeat the process. He’d never been much for fancy lingerie before, but this he could definitely get used to. “Just want you to know, you don’t have to be scared. Even if I yell sometimes. I’d never lay hand on you in anger. Never.”

She hummed as his lips brushed her inner thigh. “You may not think so, Logan, but you really are a nice person. A really, really good person.”

He simply shrugged. If she was so dead-set on thinking that about him, he supposed he couldn’t stop her. He pulled off her stocking and planted one final kiss on her lower belly, just over the garter belt.“C’mon. You sleep now. I can sm—see how exhausted you are, and I’m not far behind ya.” Logan grinned wolfishly at the memory of Marie’s lips wrapped around him. He felt a crude masculine pride at the intensity of his orgasm, but also at his restraint and how careful he had been with her.

He pulled back the covers and they climbed underneath. I did good, Logan thought as he curled himself around her protectively, breathing in her sleepy, sated scent. I might’ve fucked up a little bit, but she’s with me now, and I’m gonna take care of her, and I did good. And finally, giving into his body’s demands, he drifted to sleep.



Chapter End Notes:
And next chapter we switch POV. Let's find out what Marie's thinking about all this, shall we? Things are about to get pretty intense.