Author's Chapter Notes:
SORRRY this took sooo long!!! Some writer's block as well as distraction provided by my ongoing series made this a hard chapter to write. Still not satisfied with how this turned out and I only gave it a quick read over so sorry for any mistakes. Hope you enjoy!!! Also the Xmen decided not to appear just yet...and the fight between Sabretooth and Wolverine is sadly lacking. I am not an action writer or so it appears. Please forgive as I hope to get slightly better with time. Thanks so much to Jenefaner, WolvieDoesItBest, WitchBaby, Aoria, Ebony10, Melarina, and nyzeair for the reviews!!! You guys make this worth it!! Thank you also to anyone else that happens to read this and for sticking with this one.
Marie had been so close to reaching out for him. He couldn’t help thinking that maybe it didn’t matter that she was so young. Maybe for once in his life, at least the fifteen or so years that he remembered of it, something was going his way. She was young and beautiful and he wanted her. More than just wanted her in his bed he wanted her in his life longer than the usual one night stand. It was almost scary the possessiveness he felt for her. The Wolverine had never before reacted to anyone this strongly and Logan was certain it could only mean one thing. He’d found a mate. He was feral and had more animal instincts than he’d like to admit some days. Her scent intoxicated him. The animal in him didn’t care that she wasn’t legal. She was a female, capable of giving birth to his cubs and so that meant she was the only legal he cared about. Maybe Logan the man had doubts, but even he wouldn’t deny himself this. She would be his no matter what, whether it was five days from now or five years. And the animal in him sensed that she knew that. Wolverine had never waited for anything and now was not the time to start.

Logan grunted when the glass of the windshield cut into his face. It was fast and he had little time to react before he was thrown head first into the cold gravel road. It hurt like a bitch and he felt his neck break on impact. If that hadn’t pissed him off the rancid scent of another male would have. He was down for at least a few minutes as his body repaired itself. And in that precious amount of time the girl was left to defend herself. He would’ve cursed his bad landing if he could. As it was, he was willing himself to heal faster. He watched helpless as the large male loped out of the tree line and bared his canines in his direction in a twisted smile. Logan managed to growl a warning, Wolverine so close to the surface he knew as soon as he was capable of standing he would lose control. And even as he despised himself for it he also craved the madness that was his berserker rage. He craved the added adrenaline boost that made him that much stronger and faster. More capable of handling the male that even now was moving towards his mate with deadly intent. He was healing faster but still it was too slow. The male yanked the door off his truck with ease and he roared when he heard Marie’s desperate pleas. She was so scared and it hurt him to smell her fear so palpable. She was his to protect and he was failing her.
The male was taking pleasure from her fear. The smell of his arousal enraged the Wolverine even further. He knew what the sick bastard wanted. He knew that Marie’s pain and fear would be an aphrodisiac. He stumbled to his feet and forced himself to focus past the sudden dizziness. Logan was pushed to the background. The Wolverine wanted to rip into the man with tooth and silver claw. The man inside was human enough to know that he wouldn’t be able to stomach the sudden urge for blood; blood on his bare hands and in his mouth.

When he managed to rise shakily to his feet he managed to distract the bastard that was taunting Marie. He hadn’t touched her and for that he was lucky, his death would be so much quicker. Wolverine snarled and sprang at the man. He moved fast, fast enough that he should have had the man pinned to the hood with his claws buried knuckle-deep into his chest. But the other man, clearly a feral like Wolverine was faster. He sprang out of the way with the agility of a cat. The bastard had the audacity to laugh as Wolverine ripped his claws from the hood.

“What is the little Wolverine too slow to catch Sabretooth? When I’m done with you I’ll make her scream.” He laughed and the sound made Logan crazed.

Everything seemed to slow for Wolverine. Logan was pushed to the back, and all control given to him. He might have revelled in it if he hadn’t been so intent on killing the threat in front of him. This creature had threatened his Marie. He had dared to approach her, to think of her, to threaten her. Wolverine would laugh as he ripped him open and bathed in his blood. And then he would take what was his.

He snarled and charged at Sabretooth. Sabretooth bared his fangs and grunted when Wolverine slammed into him. He threw him against a tree and sank his claws fist-deep into his opponent’s chest. Wolverine bared his teeth in a feral smile as he heard the gurgle that indicated he’d hit his lungs. Maybe he’d let him die choking on his own blood. He pulled his claws out and stood back to admire his work. He didn’t expect the claws that sliced into his chest and threw him back.

“That all you got runt?” Sabretooth was wheezing, his voice a hoarse gurgle but already his body was healing, faster than even Wolverine could. “Gave you a freebie but now the fun’s gonna start.”

The pain in his chest was causing him to lose focus, something Logan was aware he desperately needed. Sabretooth was faster than him, could heal faster than him. And he wanted to hurt Marie. Wolverine would die to protect her but the Berserker rage was clouding his thoughts. Only one thought was left in his mind.

“Kill.”

Sabretooth snorted in amusement. “Did I make you angry, runt? I bet you want to kill me? Come on…”

Wolverine threw himself at Sabretooth again and he didn’t move out of the way. He punched Wolverine a few times and merely laughed as claws were shoved repeatedly into his chest and stomach. Logan was doing his best to force himself to the forefront of his mind. Something was wrong. Sabretooth was being too passive, no matter how fast he healed, or how much he seemed to bask in the pain being inflicted on him. Where was Marie?

Wolverine was too lost in the high he was getting out of tearing into Sabretooth. His very existence was offending him. His smell was rank and reminded him of a dead carcass. His smile only provoked him further. Wolverine would replace that smirk with pain and fear. He wanted this creature’s death and he was determined to get it. Logan was prodding at him urgently, his voice was panicked but it was lost in the fog that surrounded his mind in rage. She was his and he would kill for her.
“MINE!!” he growled as he shoved his claws into Sabretooth’s stomach and twisted.

Sabretooth was close to death, he could smell it. Still he grinned as his blood choked him and slid down his chest. “No.” he gurgled and slumped to the ground.
Logan was panicking as Wolverine roared in triumph. He was fighting to take control. He could smell Marie’s fear. She was so afraid. Why was she so afraid?

Finally Wolverine seemed to clue in. His mate’s fear was palpable. The scent was stronger than the blood drying on his claws. He turned towards the truck and snarled as he saw the truck door open and she was gone. She was afraid and he hadn’t protected her, not from the real threat. He breathed in deeply and he could make out the scent of a female mutant. Sabertooth had been merely a distraction. The real threat had taken Marie.

He almost went into another rage but Logan finally seized control. He needed to track Marie down. He breathed in again and focused on her scent. She wasn’t too far away.
_________________________________________________________

Marie was afraid, more afraid than she’d ever remembered being. Her throat hurt from where the blue woman had choked her to keep her from calling out to Wolverine as he fought the big mutant. It was Marie’s fault she had been taken. She’d been too busy watching Wolverine and worrying that he might get hurt to notice the other mutant that was working with him. She was so stupid. The blue woman had appeared out of nowhere and tugged on the seatbelt. Marie was afraid of her, of course she was. The woman was blue and covered in tiny little scales! But for one second she let herself believe that maybe another mutant was a good thing, right? It never occurred to her that she was working with the bad smelling brute that Logan was currently killing, or at least trying to. The bastard was laughing and apparently not dying.

So when the blue woman showed up Marie tried to hide her fear. She even managed a small smile of relief. Stupid girl, stupid Marie. Her smile disappeared the moment the woman smiled back at her. Her smile was….evil. Marie was going to call to Logan so he could come and get this woman away from her but just as she opened her mouth the woman grabbed her around the throat.

“Sorry but your Wolverine needs to stay out of this one.”
And for a second Marie basked in the fact that this woman had called him hers. Even as she tried desperately to breathe, to cry out, even as tears spilled out of her eyes she felt a certain relief to know that she hadn’t been completely imagining the spark that was between them. She wasn’t the only one that had felt it or sensed it. Maybe it was worth it.

The blackness was closing in around the edges of her vision, clouding her mind. She didn’t want to die but the woman was so strong and Marie’s hands were nowhere near the woman’s skin. Maybe she knew about her skin. Even as she choked her, the woman kept the scarf over her skin. Marie made a last ditch effort to fight, something angry and dark in her was screaming at her to fight. She was better than this woman. Logan needed her and she shouldn’t leave him yet. But her brain was getting fuzzy from loss of oxygen and whatever compelled her to fight had come too late. The world went dark as the woman laughed.
Chapter End Notes:
Please review!!!