Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't actually know how to play pool. Sorry if anyone was really looking forward to that scene.
Chapter the Third

We strode over to the pool table, watching a game in progress.

“Oh, look, pool! I’ve always wanted to learn how to play,” I exclaimed playfully.

The two gentlemen - clearly tourists - looked up from their game and eyed me.

"Can I play the next game?" I asked innocently.

One guy leered, "You can play the winner."

________________________

Logan was growling as we left the bar, practically decimating his cigar.

"What's the matter, Logan?" I asked. If he was growling then trouble must be coming.

"Did you have to be so charming? With the "sugah" and battin' your eyelashes, they were practically eating out of your hand."

"Isn't that the point, though?" I asked, confused.

Logan growled again and I saw just a flash of adamantium as his claws almost came out before he pulled them back in.

"Logan, what's wrong?" I was really worried now.

He visibly calmed himself, rolling his shoulders and cracking his neck. He took a few deep breaths. What was going on? Obviously there was something wrong but Logan was not going to talk about it.

“We’re getting back on the road,” Logan asserted.

“Oh,” I replied hesitantly, “do you think that, maybe, we could stay the night here? I want to see the sun rise over the falls.”

“Hey, it’s your trip, you’re in charge,” Logan said.

“We stay the night,” I said, as if there had been no hesitation moments before.

“Yes, ma’am,” Logan saluted.

“You keep that up, mister, and you’ll be sleeping in the car,” I told him.

“I’m quaking in my boots, kid," he smiled. "May I make one suggestion?”

“What?” I asked warily.

“We move to the Canadian side. You can see the sunrise from there.”

“Are you sure that’s not your Canadian pride coming out?” I teased.

“Listen, kid, I’ve been around for a while, I know the good spots,” he teased right back.

“I guess I will bow to your far greater experience in this matter,” I said gravely.

Logan just growled softly at me as we got into the car and crossed the border.

_____________________

The next morning we got up early to get a good spot to see the sun rise over the falls.

It was beautiful. The sun peeked over the edge of the falls and it was like a fire had been set, blazing across the water, rippling and roiling. Reds and oranges boiled over the edge of the cliff. The mist rose from the base like the smoke of the shimmering fire.

I stood there and tried to capture the feeling of that moment. The mist everywhere, making me feel damp, the brightness of the sun, the flare of vivid color, the smoldering flames of the water. The heat of Logan next to me as we watched. The serenity of the moment. I locked away every impression into a box and stored it in my mind. This was a unique memory; it was mine. If I got lost in the maze, I could hold on to this piece of time and remember who I was. I could remember.

After the memory was safely locked away, I turned to Logan, “Ready for the next leg of the trip?”

He just grunted at me. He was not happy about being up this early but he did it anyway. For me, he had said. That was another feeling I held on to. I figured the least I could do in return was feed him before we set out.

________________

After breakfast we headed north, past Toronto and on to the Trans-Canadian Highway. After about three hours we were getting close to Sudbury.

“I was looking at the map and there’s not much after this as we drive around the Great Lakes. I think we should stop for supplies,” I suggested.

“Sounds good,” Logan agreed.

We pulled up to a mall and went shopping. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I would be shopping with Logan. The idea made me giggle.

“What’s so funny?” Logan looked at me, curious.

“I never thought I’d be shopping with the big bad Wolverine,” I teased.

“It’s not like we’re shopping for pink frilly things and rainbows,” Logan protested. “Camping gear, that’s manly shopping.”

“Whatever you say, softie.” I bumped my well-covered hip against his.

“Let’s just get this over with,” he sighed.

We got a tent, sleeping bags, lanterns, a stove, and various emergency supplies. Logan took the lead on picking out what we needed and I wasn’t about to argue. I had no clue what was required for camping. I always thought I would just sleep in the car but camping with Logan appealed to me. He would protect me in the wild. I liked that, being protected by Logan.

We were checking out with our new supplies when Logan moved to pay.

“Logan, what’re you doing?”

“What’s it look like? I’m paying.”

“You can’t pay. You’re going to go back to the mansion and I’ll be using these supplies. I need to pay for them,” I objected. He was going to leave me eventually. I had to keep that constantly in mind. I couldn’t afford to believe that he would stay.

We’ll be using them and I don’t plan on leaving. Get that through your head, Marie.”

You do not argue with that tone of voice. So I didn’t.

Almost.

“At least let me pay for half.”

“Fine. But I pay for half of the car, too.”

Damn it, he was not going to give this up. I would have to pay him back as we traveled. I wasn’t going to be in debt to him. It would be a loose end. But we couldn’t keep arguing in line. So, I agreed, “Deal.”

We finished with the camping supplies and went to buy proper winter clothes. I was used to layering clothes but Logan told me it was going to get very cold as we went north and I’d need more suitable things. Logan got warm clothes, too. I wondered if having metal on his bones made him more susceptible to the cold or if having a healing factor cancelled that out. Just another thing I don’t understand about Logan.

After clothes we got food. Eggs, bacon, bread, sandwich fixings, all various manner of food went into the cooler. And snack foods. Lots of snack food. It’s my own money, I can buy whatever I want.

Finally, all that was left was the car.

There were multiple used car dealerships and we hunted around for something within my price range. Well, our price range. Having Logan pay for half really helped out. I decided if there were a chance we would have to sleep in the car, it would be better to have an SUV instead of a pick-up truck. Wait, when did I think of Logan and me as “we?” He can sleep wherever he damn well pleases.

We picked out the SUV and even got it cheaper than the asking price, thanks to a few well-placed growls courtesy of the Wolverine.

Logan drove the new -- new to me, at least -- car while I trailed behind in the Professor’s car. When he found a suitable spot, Logan pulled over into the forest and I followed.

I parked the Professor’s car at the edge of the forest and activated the homing beacon. I locked the doors, tossed the keys on the seat, and slammed the door shut before covering the car with branches. We drove away.

“Kid, I need a cage fight tonight. The forest is no place to make money,” Logan reminded me.

“I’ll try to find a pool game. Our spending spree left me pretty dry. Just point me in the direction of a good bar once night falls,” I acquiesced.

_______________

Logan and I each counted our winnings as we sat in the car.

“What’s the plan for sleeping?” Logan inquired.

“Camping,” I grinned.

“Then we better get going. It’s getting pretty dark,” Logan observed.

We finally arrived at Lake Superior Provincial Park later that night. Logan used his enhanced vision to set up the tent in the dark. I rolled out the sleeping bags inside and bundled up in warm clothes. We both settled into our sleeping bags.

“Good night,” I said softly. I was so nervous. Being next to someone could result in an accident. It’s not safe.

“Night, kid,” Logan grunted as he settled down for sleep.

I stared at the ceiling of the tent. Someone was this close to me and they had fallen asleep. Logan didn’t care about my skin. I could roll over and accidentally touch him and drain him of his life in our sleep but there he was, sleeping peacefully.

Panic spread like fire through me. What was I thinking? I can’t do this. I can’t forget what I am. I should be sleeping in the car. I started to get up but Logan stirred and turned toward me.

“Where you going?”

“Bathroom.”

“Liar.”

I sighed, “Fine, I’m going to sleep in the car.”

He seemed to wake up a bit more. “No, you’re not.”

“This sleeping arrangement is too dangerous. I need to go.”

“What you need is sleep so shut up and sleep.”

I knew I wasn’t going to get out of this tent. So, I tried to remain calm. Try to think of something else. Don’t think about the accident that could happen. Try to trust. I closed my eyes. I should try to think of something else. Maybe that would help me relax. My heart was still beating like I had just gone for a run. I focused on trying to slow that down. Slow down. It didn’t listen.

What should I do? Should I remain vigilant all night? I tossed and turned, a physical manifestation of my uncertainty. Why couldn’t I be normal? Then I wouldn’t be having this problem in the first place. I felt tears start to form. This is ridiculous. Why do I cry every time I’m reminded of my failures? It should be old by now. But the pain was fresh each time. The crushing weight of ever-present fear. My eyes filled, the tears wobbling but not falling. I wouldn’t let them fall. Please don’t let them fall. In the midst of this pain, at least let me hold on to the dignity of not crying in front of the Wolverine.

I continued to fret and worry before sleep eventually overtook me. My tears never fell.