Black Knight:

There was noise all around her. It buffeted Marie from every direction, made her flinch and keep her eyes squeezed tightly shut. She couldn’t remember where she was or how she got there, but the thumpity- thump in her chest was hard and fast and terrible. The noise was over suddenly, so slow falling, just a quick end to the din. She popped one eye open to see a familiar man standing in front of where she lay crumpled on the floor, her face pressed against the tiles. He was breathing hard panting long strained breaths. He lifted hands fitted with sharp and pointy knives to his head, raked furrows into his sweaty hair. It stood straight and tall on its long ends and she wondered how he didn’t cut all of it off every time he put his hands into it.

A tickle on her wrist had her looking down at her left hand, where a long thin strip of yellow ribbon was tied in a knot. It wouldn’t move, she knew as soon as she looked at it, unless you pulled just so on the one side and let the pieces slides around together. She surveyed the man in his black and shiny clothing, and noticed more of the ribbon.

Some broken synapses in her brain fired once, three times, unexpectedly she remembered only his name, that he’d gifted her the ribbon, and that she liked touching him. She crawled forward to wrap her arms around one of his legs just as he was turning around to her.

“Logan.” It came out on the heels of a bright eyed smirk.

Her hands travelled up his leg to his hand and when she found it offered to her, minus the knives, there was another fire or two of synapses. She knew they had buried themselves back into his hands, and rubbed the skin between his knuckles for a moment in the shared pain of hurting cutting things before slowly peeling his hand open. They weren’t clean hands, not by far, but he’d gotten the blood off and that she was happy for. Uglies tasted nasty. When she had his hand open, and the vulnerable flesh between his thumb and finger bared to her, she did what instinct called for. She bit him.