Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All rights belong to Stan Lee, Marvel, Fox, and whomever else owns rights to the X-men. I have not, nor will I ever received compensation for this story.

Hey everyone! I know it's been awhile. I hope you all enjoy the new chapter. Thanks to all of you who have reviewed. You are what keep me writing. ;) Also thanks to my beta Fiery Emerald Eyes over at FanFiction.
By the time they stopped for lunch three hours later at a small diner, Logan had ordered himself to keep his attention on getting to Chuck’s with Rogue and the kids; and off of how much he was drawn to Rogue and how she made him feel. That of course lasted only until she was smiling at him softly from across the table after he had made sure Nate and Sally had order anything they wanted from the menu.


Once their food was delivered, Logan gave a grunt order for everyone to dig in. Once he was satisfied that Nate was actually eating his food this time, Logan put his attention on his own plate of the largest steak the place had, with a baked potato, salad, bread and a piece of cherry pie, and a tea to drink when he found out the diner didn‘t serve alcohol. His breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and sausage was long gone.


Glancing up from his steak, Logan noticed that Rogue had yet to touch her food. Seeing her plate pushed to the side, Logan frowned getting ready to ask her if something was wrong, but stopped when he watched her pull Sally’s plate in to her and started cutting up the large chicken breast into smaller bite size pieces, making it easier for the little girl to eat. Logan glanced beside Sally to watch Nate as he struggled with his butter knife to cut up his own smaller steak. Logan had been surprisingly proud and pleased when Nate had hesitantly ordered his own steak and baked potato. Rogue had suggested that Sally might like the chicken and french fries, so both the girls had gone with the chicken plate.


Logan glanced back to Rogue, seeing her smiling down at Sally as the two girl talked, while Rogue worked on Sally’s food. Looking back at Nate, Logan noticed the small boy growing more frustrated as he continued to struggle to cut up his food.


“Need some help there, kid?” Logan looked pointedly to the steak.


Nate looked up at the bigger man sitting across the table from him, Sally, and Rogue. Not wanting to be a bother, he was unsure of what to do,; he now wished he had gotten something he could have eaten with his fingers. Remembering how Mr. Logan had been kind to him back at the motel, Nate nodded hesitantly, hoping Mr. Logan wouldn’t be annoyed at him, like the doctors were when he was too slow or couldn’t do what they wanted.


“Here, give me your plate.” Logan held out his hand.


Nate handed over his plate and watched closely how Mr. Logan used his sharp steak knife to easily cut the steak into smaller pieces.


“I don’t know how they expected you to cut up this thing with that dull knife they gave you. You ever use one of these before?” Logan lifted and nodded toward the sharp knife in his hand before going back to cutting up Nate’s steak.


“No sir.” Nate answered softly, remembering how the doctors only ever gave them foods that they could eat with the hands, or drink out of a paper bowls and cups.


“I’ll make sure to teach you then. Until then, just ask if you need help next time, kay?” Logan handed Nate back his plate.


“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.” Nate quickly answered taking his plate back, thankful Mr. Logan hadn’t been upset at his not knowing how to use the other knife, or how he hadn’t be able to cut up his own food.


“You’re welcome, and it’s just Logan, kid. No need for all the sirs.” Logan gave a Nate a small smile and nod of his head before going back to his own food.


Nate’s small shoulders relaxed, more at ease with the larger man. Following, Mr. Logan’s example, Nate into his plate and started eating.


Logan kept his eyes scanning the diner and everything around them for trouble, but he didn’t really expect any. There weren’t many customers, seeing how it was after lunch time, but some time before dinner. Letting his eyes take in his traveling companions again, Logan let his mind wonder. He didn’t understand his recent behavior with Rogue and the kids. He didn’t usually like having people traveling with him - he liked his space and he sure as heck didn’t tease people, like he had with Rogue earlier. He knew it had to be something about Rogue and the kids that brought out this side of him.


He was actually becoming glad they were staying with him for the trip, and he was starting to look forward to the company; Rogue’s company especially, but he didn’t mind Nate or Sally either, which was a bigger shock. Logan didn’t usually like having kids around him too often, but there was something special about Nate and Sally - just like there was something special about Rogue that just clicked with him - and he wanted to find out what it was. He felt needed and appreciated for the first time in a long time. Sure, he knew Chuck appreciated his help with the team, but it wasn’t the same. Logan knew the kids needed someone to watch out for them, and they were learning to trust him, and look to him and Rogue for their needs and putting their trust in them alone. When he saw Rogue’s soft and please smile directed at him after every time he reassured the kids, or praised them, he wanted to keep at it. Not only for the kids’ sake, but so she would keep looking at him with those warm, bright green eyes, and pleased smile. Logan had a feeling that Rogue was right, when she said she’d keep him on his toes. He didn’t know of anyone who had ever been able to keep the Wolverine on his toes, but his instincts knew she would be the one to do it, and the Wolverine looked forward the challenge.


Coming out of his thoughts, he spotted Rogue eyeing him curiously. Putting his thoughts away until he was alone, he gave her a questioning raised eyebrow. “What?”


“You okay, you zoned out there for a few minutes?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, just thinking about the best route to take to get back to Chuck’s.” Logan shifted in his seat uncomfortable at being caught unaware. He was thankful that Rogue didn’t have the ability to read his mind or she might be demanding that he call Chuck and have him pick her and the kids up in the jet, so they could get away from him.


That evening Logan pulled into a small campground, making sure to park as far away from the other campers as possible, while not making it obvious that was exactly what he was doing. After they had eaten dinner, Rogue had spent the evening riding in the back with the kids. Thankful for the time alone, Logan used it to get his head in order and off the woman in his camper.


Climbing out of the truck, Logan surveyed the area. Satisfied that they were far enough away from the three other campsites at the small campground, he headed for the camper to get a blanket for the night.


There wasn’t much room in the camper for all four of them, only enough room for two adults really, and even then it was a little on the cramped side. He was planning on sleeping in the cab of the truck, and letting Rogue, and the kids use the camper. Winter was getting closer, he could feel it in the cooling autumn breeze, but he figure it should still be warm enough for him to sleep in the cab, and even if he did get cold, the cold wouldn’t hurt him. Sure he’d be uncomfortable, but he’d been a lot worse in the past, well at least the past that he could remember.


He gave a short knock on the door of the camper, to let the girls know he was coming in, before stepping inside.
He couldn’t help the smirk that soon turned into a snicker at the scene in front of him. Rogue sat on the floor at the foot of the double bed, with Sally sitting on the bed behind her, holding sections of Rogue’s hair, trying unsuccessfully to braid it, like Rogue had braided Sally’s blond curls.


"Look, Mr. Logan, I’m braiding Rogue’s hair. I’m making her pretty as a picture, like she did me." Sally beamed up at Logan.


Logan actually winced when Sally accidentally jerked Rogue’s hair a bit too hard. He couldn’t stop the smile that lit his face, no matter how hard he tried to hide it, at the look of warning Rogue was shooting at him - for him to be nice to both Sally, and about what Sally was doing to her poor hair.


“You’re doing a real good job, kid. Keep it up." Logan chuckled quietly at Rogue’s low groan.


"Where are we?" Rogue asked bringing Logan back to the reason, he was there.


"We’re stopped at a campground just on the other side of Red Deer River. There’s not any motels or anything this far out, but I figured you and the kids can sleep in the camper. I’m going to grab a blanket and sleep in the truck’s cab."


Rogue started to nod her understanding, but Sally grabbed her head on either side with her tiny hands, "Hold still or I’ll mess up and have to start over." Sally order in her soft six year old voice.


"Holding still." Rogue smiled indulgently, but had no desire to sit through another hour of hair braiding. She was going to have a heck of a time as it was trying to unknot her hair from what Sally had already ‘braided’. Rogue meet Logan’s eyes again, and could see him still fighting his amusement at her expense, but as long as it was making Sally happy, she couldn’t care less if the whole campground laughed at her.


"This place doesn’t have a place for a septic hook up for the camper, but they do have port-a-johns, if you need to go." Logan informed the girls, then glanced over and spotted Nate sitting on the bed by the window, staring out with a frown on his small young face. Logan could smell the boy’s nervousness, but wasn’t sure to what was causing it.


"Nate, I’m headed over that way now, if you need to go. It looks like the girls are going to be a few more minutes." Logan said glancing back at Rogue and Sally. He quirked a small amused smile at seeing Sally looking so cute and serious, with her tongue sticking out the side of her mouth as she wrestled with tying Rogue’s hair into knots. Logan didn’t envy the job Rogue was going to have to try and undo the damage the kid was doing to her head.


"I.. I.. don’t know. I should stay with Sally. She doesn’t like it when I leave her." Nate said glancing over at his sister before looking over at Logan.


"Okay, well just thought I’d ask. I’m going to get the cab ready for sleep, so if you should change your mind in the next few minutes, I’ll be outside."


"Okay." Nate nodded his head, turning back to his sister and Rogue.


Logan still unsure what was going on with the boy, decided he had done all he could, so he grabbed a blanket from the small closet, then headed back outside.


"Nate, if you want to go with Logan, I’ll make sure to take really good care of Sally. I know you’re used to watching out for her…for the both of you, but I promise everything is going to be alright. I know it’s hard to try trusting new people after what you guys have been through, but Sally will be safe with me. And I believe that even though Logan may have some dark spots, I’ve got a gut feeling that we can trust him, and my gut has never let me down before. Plus if my friend from New York trusts him, I think it’s safe to give him a chance." Rogue said knowing Nate was still leery of Logan, which was completely understandable.


Logan was a large man, and looked and sounded a bit scary, even though Rogue could tell he had tried to curb more of his sullen looks, and gruffness. Nate and Sally both had been the recipient of some very unpleasant treatment at the hands of a number of adults, some even taller and larger than Logan. They had to be scared knowing Logan and even she could hurt them again, and they would be pretty much helpless to stop them.


Rogue knew Nate felt that fear even more so than Sally, because he felt responsible for her, and tried to protect her the best any eight year old could. However there was something unexplainable after their first initial meeting that cause Rogue to feel at ease in the Logan’s company - finding herself liking him even. It was obvious that he wasn’t used to dealing with small kids, most likely didn’t care much for them. But Rogue was surprised he was trying his best to make Nate and Sally relax in his presence, even reassuring them he was going to help take care of them until they got to the school. Rogue got the feeling that Logan wasn’t one for offering to care for others out of the goodness of his own heart, but she could tell he was sincere.

"I think Rogue’s right and you’re not as scared of him anymore." Sally said stopping her braiding for a minute to look at her brother.


"He’s been nice to us. I guess he’s okay." Nate answered hesitantly, but honestly. He had started to relax some around Mr. Logan, but was still very nervous and scared that the man would suddenly try to hurt them. The doctors didn’t seem all that mean in the beginning either.


"Like I said, I know it’s going to be hard on all of us to trust new people, and I don’t want you guys trying with just anyone. But I think we should give Logan a chance. So what do you guys say? Can we do that? Can we give him a chance?" Rogue asked turning to looking at both Sally and Nate.


"If you’ll try, I’ll try." Sally said looking at Rogue, then back to Nate. "Nate, you try too, okay? Please." Sally said biting her lip nervously, but eager.


"Okay, one chance, but only him. No one else. We trust Rogue and we try with Mr. Logan, no one else. Promise me." Nate demanded looking seriously at Sally.


"Promise." Sally beamed and bounced over, hugging Nate tight.


"I think Logan’s still up front if you want to go with him. You don’t have to, you can go with Sally and me, but the choice is yours." Rogue said gently, not going to push the boy further.


"Will you be okay, Sally, if I go?" Nate asked still hesitant and nervous about going and being separated from his sister. What if someone tried to get to her and Rogue while he was away?


"Rogue will protect me, but don’t go away for long." Sally said going back over to finish knotting up Rogue’s hair.


"What if he’s already gone?" Nate frowned looking unsure what to do.

Logan stood near the tailgate of his truck and listened to the three’s conversation. His heart ached with sadness for the fear someone had instilled into Nate and Sally, but was heartened at their bravery. They were resilient kids. Plus he was touched they were willing to give him a chance, to trust him as they did Rogue, but no one else. It meant that he wasn’t doing such a bad job at being who and what they needed. He was also surprisingly pleased at Rogue’s willingness to try trusting him too. Her trust in him, made him just as proud as the kids willingness to trust him, if not more so. He wanted her to trust him; he wanted her to believe in him, to need him, and like him.


Coming out of his own thoughts, Logan made a production of moving some things loudly around in the back of the truck, so Nate would hear him nearby. He put on an easy, open expression when the camper door opened, and Nate stuck his head out just a bit and glanced around.


Nate was relieved to see that Mr. Logan hadn’t left yet, but he was still very nervous about trusting the larger man.

Logan watched as Nate took a big breath trying to gather his courage. Smiling inwardly at the boy’s bravery, Logan knew not even some of the teenagers at Chuck, had this kid’s guts. Making sure to keep his tone relaxed, Logan spoke,
"Hey there, did you change your mind about heading over to the toilets?"


"Yes sir, if it’s still okay that I go with you?" Nate asked then quickly glanced around scanning the area before looking back at Logan.


"Sure, no problem. I was just getting ready to head that way, come on." Logan jerked his head for Nate to follow him. Logan watched as Nate once again nervously glanced around the campground, before stepping over to where he stood.


The two of them walked over to the johns in silence, each with their own thoughts. Logan was wondering what was making the kid so nervous, and how to get him to relax. While Nate wondered of how he was suppose to watch out for the bad guys from the inside of the camper. The small back window near the bed only let him see a small area of the campground. He wouldn’t be able to spot the bad guys if they came from the front or sides.


"Go on in and do your business. I’ll be in the one next to you. Holler if you need something, and don’t worry, I won’t leave you." Logan said trying to think of something comforting to say.


"Okay, thanks." Nate said then made his way inside the small port-a-john. Once Nate was inside, Logan headed into the other one.


Nate cracked the door of the john open and peeked out, making sure no one was waiting to jump him.


"You can come out kid, it’s only me out here." Logan said watching the small boy peeking out of the door nervously. Logan again wished he knew how to ease the kid’s fear.


Nate stepped out of the large blue box and over to where Logan waited.


"Everything alright, business taken care of?" Logan asked a bit uncomfortable.


"Yes sir." Nate answered still watching his surroundings closely.


"Good. Let’s go wash up." Logan replied, then led the way over to the small spigot that had a bar of soap hanging off a nail.


Logan watched Nate’s constant searching of the area, and his highly nervous and upset smell. Logan, who wasn’t known for beating around the bush, asked Nate what the problem was. "Whatcha scared of kid? Tell me, maybe I can help."


Nate studied Mr. Logan seriously for a moment. After seeing still more white and lighter colors in the brighter part of the big man’s aura, Nate figured he could be honest, and try trusting Logan, like he promised Sally and Rogue.


"I’m afraid I won’t be able to spot the bad men coming from inside the camper. I can’t see everywhere around us… there are only a couple of windows. We won’t be able to get away in time if I can’t see them coming for us."


Logan put a hand on the boy’s small shoulder stopping him as they made their way back to the camper. Logan spotted Rogue and Sally headed to the two lady johns. After glancing and sniffing around for any trouble, but not seeing or smelling anything to worry about, Logan put his attention back on Nate and his concerns.


"I hear you, kid. I’ll tell you what, let me take over watching for the bad men for awhile, huh? I’ll have a better view of the campground from up front in the truck. Plus, I have really good hearing and a good sense of smell. I’ll hear and smell anyone coming before they get anywhere near us." Logan explained hoping it would relieve the boy’s fear.


Logan noticed how the kid seemed to be thinking it over seriously. He waited patiently for the boy to get whatever it was in his mind straightened out.


"What about when you’re asleep? You wouldn’t be able to hear or smell them then." Nate frowned.


Realizing it was going to be a very long night, but Logan did the only thing that he could think of to ease the kid’s fear.
"I’ll stay awake." Logan promised.


"All night?" Nate asked looking almost relieved.


Logan had driven straight out to Rogue’s location after Chuck had contacted him. He hadn’t slept in over twenty-four hours, and he was tired but right at that moment, giving up sleep was worth seeing and smelling the kid’s relief.


"All night." Logan promised.


"Thank you, Mr. Logan. Then…I think it will be okay." Nate’s shoulders sagged a little with relief, which gave Logan a proud feeling, knowing Nate was trusting him - giving over the protection of Sally and himself into Logan’s hands. He knew that wasn’t easy for the boy.


"Good, come on let’s get you inside, it’s getting chilly out here." Logan said starting them back walking again.
Chapter End Notes:
I hope everyone enjoyed the new chapter. Feel Free to review. I also hope everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year! I hope this year is full of more great stories from everyone here at this great site.