Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own the X-men. All rights belong to Marvel, Stan Lee, and whomever else hold rights. I have not nor will I receive any compensation for this story.
Chapter 9

Logan yawned and stretched as he watched the sunrise. Climbing from the truck he headed for the toilets to relieve himself. Rogue met him at the front of the truck when he returned.


"Morning." Rogue said softly knowing most likely Logan wasn’t in the best of moods, seeing how he hadn’t gotten any sleep last night. Of course neither had she, but she knew she couldn’t afford to sleep right now.


Rogue tried to hide her amusement, as he only glared and grunted at her as he walked past her to get the truck and camper ready to pull out.


"Why don’t you let me drive for awhile? That way you can get some sleep, seeing how you didn’t get any last night."


"I don’t think so." Logan grunted too tired to curb his curt reply, even though he appreciated her offer. He knew that she couldn’t have gotten much sleep either when she was up every couple of hours walking the area.


"Come on Logan, you’re exhausted, you need to at least take a nap." Rogue softly coaxed.


Logan was tempted to give in. He was exhausted, but he didn’t let just anyone drive his truck and camper. They were all he owned except for some clothes and a few other objects that was stashed at Chuck’s. He doubted she had much experience in pulling a camper, and with her lack of sleep she would be more apt to have an accident.


"I appreciate the offer, but my healing helps with the lack of sleep, I’m fine." Logan explained, this time, more calmly.


"Your healing?" Rogue questioned becoming tense, her eyes narrowing at him calculatingly.


"Yeah, why are you looking at me like that for?" Logan snapped out, confused to her sudden frown and suspicious scent.


"You said you’re a feral, you didn’t say anything about healing." Rogue stated.


"Oh, yeah, well now you know, I heal." Logan stated shrugging his shoulders unconcerned, as he went about his business.


"Is there anything else about you I should know?" Rogue asked calming down, her gut still tell her to trust him.


Logan was about to say no, but he stopped, thinking it might be best if he went ahead and told her about the claws, so she knew he was being up front with her. He hoped he wouldn’t have to use them, but if he did, he didn’t want her or the kids to think he was keeping things from them so he could hurt them with the claws later. Plus his gut was telling him to tell her, and he always followed his gut. This time, however, he really didn’t want too. He didn’t want her looking at him with disgust or like he was some type of freak, and he definitely didn’t want her pity.


Logan faced her, bracing himself for her reaction. After looking around to make sure no one was watching, he answered her. "I’ve got these." He said, then released the claws, making sure to keep them a safe distance away from her so not to scare her.


As expected she jumped as his claws snapped out, but astonishingly instead of disgust or repulsion, he could only smell surprise coming from her as she looked at his hands. He was the one stunned, when she stepped over to him, and carefully took one of his hands in both of hers.


"Careful, they’re sharp." He warned quickly, his shock at her reaction making his tone brusquely.


Rogue inspected the claws and knew exactly where they had come from, and who had done this. She had seen it before, but the last person had, had swords inside his arms made out of the same metal as Logan’s of claws. The man had been evil, and had enjoyed his work as a mercenary, killing for money way too much. Logan wasn’t like the last guy, or at least she didn’t think so. She had known off the bat that the other guy was evil -- her gut screamed it, but not this time. Plus Nate said Logan had more white in his aura than dark. When she was done inspecting the claws she released Logan’s hand so he could retract the claws.


"When they come out, do they hurt?" She asked looking up into his eyes, that were intense as they studied her.


"Every time." Logan answered solemnly.


"I’m sorry." Rogue spoke softly, compassionately.


Not smelling anything but sincere regret and compassion, Logan nodded his head, but couldn’t find anything else to say. He was too moved to saying anything, even if he could have found the words.


After a few moments of silence, Rogue spoke. "Even with a healing factor Logan, you need sleep." Rogue stated knowingly. "I know how to drive while pulling something, if that is what you’re worried about."


Logan knew she was right about needing sleep, and if she did know how to drive while pulling the camper, then with her help they could get to Chuck’s a whole lot faster. It was the fact that she hadn’t slept that much herself, that still wouldn’t let him hand over the reins to her.


"You didn’t get much sleep either." Logan argued.


"Yes, but I’ve had more rest than you’ve had in the last day. You drove all yesterday, and stayed up all last night.” Rogue argued back. Seeing the still hesitate look in Logan’s eyes, she compromised. “How about this, if it will make you feel better, you drive until we stop for lunch. After lunch you let me drive, and you can either nap up front, or the kids can ride up front with me, and you can sleep in the camper. How does that sound?"


"I don’t know, we’ll see. I’m not making any promises, but we’ll see." Logan said thinking over her offer.


"Alright,” Rogue agreed nodding, “But just think about it seriously." Rogue left Logan to go get the kids up so they could use the bathroom before they headed out.

By lunch time, Logan was yawning more and more, so when they all started for the camper after leaving the small family friendly diner, Rogue stopped at the driver side door and held out her hand to Logan, silently asking for the keys.


After a few moments of a silent stare-off between the two adults, where Rogue quirked a eyebrow at Logan. He glared and grumbled under his breath, before finally relenting, digging the keys from his pocket and dropping them into Rogue’s outstretched hand.


"Thanks." Rogue smiled brightly, knowing she had won a bit of his trust even if he didn’t realize it.


Logan only response was to grunt out, "Whatever," which made Rogue laugh.


"Up front or in the back?" Rogue asked wanting to know where Nate and Sally were going to ride.


"I’m staying up front, just in case something happens and I need to take the wheel back." Logan said seriously, still hesitant he was making the right decision, letting her drive.


Rogue knew Logan was still having a hard time letting go of control of the truck, but didn’t let it offend her.


"Sure, but don’t worry, you won’t need to. You just relax and get some sleep." Rogue said, then went to help Nate and Sally get settled.


Logan continued to grumble under his breath, about not believing he was actually going to let her drive, and that she better not wreck his truck and camper, or she’d be buying him a new one. He climbed in on the passenger side, which felt totally all wrong, but tried to get comfortable and relax. She said she knew how to drive and pull something, and he hadn’t smelt any lie on her.


Five minutes later, Rogue hopped in behind the wheel. After fixing the seat and the mirrors, she looked over at her traveling companion who was sulking.


"You can quit sulking, Logan, I’m not going to wreck your precious truck." Rogue said smirking not trying to hide her amusement.


"You better not, or you’ll be buying me a new one, and I’m not sulking." Logan snapped. Automatically cringing inwardly at himself. He sounded like one of Chuck’s brats.


"Yes you are, but I wouldn’t tell anyone." Rogue grinned at him, her eyes sparkling with mischief before cranking the truck, and pulling out onto the road.
Chapter End Notes:
Feel free to review.