Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own the X-men. I really wish I did, but that lucky Mr. Stan Lee, Marvel, and those other people thought them up first. Sigh…
Chapter 5

Logan was once again assaulted with another highly pleasing scent upon Rogue exiting the bathroom after getting dressed, but this one was even more arousing. It was the smell of her scent mixed with his. He didn’t think he had ever smelled anything more alluring. To his annoyance he had to clear his throat before he could get his voice to work.


"Come on and eat up, before it gets any colder." He barked acting impatient to cover up the real reason to the sudden huskiness to his voice.


Rogue didn’t seem to be affected by his brisker tone or act of impatience. She grabbed her food and sat on the bed with the kids, and dug in.

Starting to focus back on his own food, Logan noticed that the little boy was looking uncomfortable, while staring down at the barely touch container of food in his lap. "What’s wrong kid, something wrong with the food? Didn’t like it?" Logan tried to asked in a relaxed, and easy tone so not to upset the kid.


"No Sir, I mean it was fine, Sir. Thank you, Sir." Nate quickly spoke with a nervous and quiet tone.


"You didn’t eat much?" Logan frowned confused to what was wrong. He had smelt the kids and Rogue’s hunger before he left, and he could still smell it on the boy now.


"If it will be alright, could I keep it?" Nate small voice nervously asked.


Logan heard the slight hopefulness in the kids voice, which set warning bells off in his head, while also pulling at his heart. Focusing on the small boy, Logan tried to keep his expression and voice open and relaxed.
"Sure kid, you can do whatever you want. It’s yours, eat it now or save it for later, but it’s not going to be all that good once it gets to cold. Wouldn’t you rather eat it now, while it’s warm?"


"If it’s alright, Sally and I could have it to eat on today. We won’t ask for anything more, I promise." Nate quickly promised.


Logan wanted to find and hurt whoever had hurt these kids. But instead Logan kept his expression calm, but he spoke intently.


"Nate, right?" Logan asked keeping his attention on the boy, but knew Rogue was watching and listening closely to them. He had smelt her sadness and anger, the same as his at Nate’s request.


"Yes Sir." Nate answered with a hesitate frown, dropping his gaze from the large man, who’s aura had taken on a darker shade. Nate worried that he had done the wrong thing by asking to keep the food, and now the man was angry. He knew that Rogue had promised to not let anyone hurt them again, but Logan was a lot bigger and stronger than her, she wouldn’t be able to stop him if he tried to hurt them.


Logan smelt the fear in the boy, and realized that it didn‘t matter that he keep his expression calm. The kid probably could see his anger in whatever it was that Nate saw when he looked at people. Taking a calming breath, Logan reached over and gently lifted Nate’s head so he had to meet Logan’s eyes.
"You’re a very brave kid, Nate, and you can keep the food if you want, but we’ll be stopping for lunch in few hours. So I want you to eat up until you’re full, then when we stop for lunch, I want you and your sister to get whatever you want, and make sure to eat as much as you want. You’re not going to have to worry about food or going hungry again, you hear me? Rogue and I are going to make sure you and your sister have everything you need until we get to the school. You’ve done a good job, I’m very proud of you for taking care of your sister and yourself, but now you can relax and let us take care of the both you for awhile, okay?" Logan explained, his voice proud and gentle.


"Yes Sir. Thank you, Sir." Nate’s voice shook slightly as he looked at Logan, and gave him a small but relieved smile.


"Good, now make sure you eat up." Logan gave Nate a small smile and a nod.


"Yes Sir." Nate said again, this time more stronger and with less nervousness before he started eating.


Logan felt eyes on him. He looked up to see Rogue watching him with a warm soft look in her bright green eyes. Logan had to pull himself away from her gaze, or he knew he could lose himself in them. "Pull yourself together Wolverine, you don’t lose yourself in a woman’s eyes, or in their scent." Logan growled at himself sternly. Looking back up at Rogue, he watched her climbing off the bed to throw away her empty container. Remembering Chuck wanted to talk to her, he stepped over to the small table where she was clearing up their trash.


"I called Chuck. He wants to talk to you. He wants you to give him a call."


"I take it you told him about Nate and Sally coming with us?" Rogue asked.


"Yeah, figured he should be prepared." Logan said pulling out his cell phone and handing it toward her. He watched as she frowned, but took the phone.


"The number is 888-"


"Thanks, but I know it already." Rogue said pressing in the number, then placing the phone to her ear. "Hello Charles." She greeted after a few moments.


Logan was a little surprised that she knew the number to Chuck’s direct line. Only the X-men knew Chuck’s personal number. All other calls went through the school’s phone directory.


Logan listened unabashed to both sides of the conversation.


"Rogue? It is good to hear your voice, how are you my dear?" Charles asked relieved that it was Rogue’s familiar southern drawl that greeted him.


"I’m well, how are you?"


"I am doing well, even better now, that I know you are safe and on your way home."


"How are the others?" Rogue asked, but her tone reserved.


Logan remembered Chuck had said that there were some unresolved issues between her, Scooter and Jeannie. He was curious to what that was all about.


"They are doing well. I am sure they will be very please to see you again. Hank has missed your philosophical debate sessions."


"I’ve missed him too. How is Ro?" Rogue asked a small smile coming to her lips thinking about Hank and Ororo. She really did miss her friends. Not realizing just how much until now.


"She is doing well. She has not long become engaged, and I’m sure she will want to tell you all the details herself, so I will not say anymore and ruin her enjoyment." Charles said with a chuckle in his cultured voice.


"Logan told you about Nate and Sally coming with us." Rogue stated glancing over at the kids, and gave them a bright smile when she saw them watching her.


"Yes, he also said that by their behavior he believes that they have been abused recently. How are they?" Charles asked with great concern.


"They’re brave kids. I want them to meet Hank, when we get there."


Charles understood immediately what Rogue was conveying when she only mentioned their meeting Hank. The children needed medical care. Charles grew more concerned at this bit of news. If Rogue was making a conscious effort to avoid words relating to anything medical, then things were more serious than he first thought.


"I will alert him to be prepared. Are they seriously injured? Do I need to send the jet to retrieve all of you? Jean and Scott are using it at this time, to recruit a new student, but I will call them home immediately if you believe it best."


"No, we’re okay, I think we’d rather just stick with Logan, if that’s alright with him." Rogue said glancing over at Logan, knowing he was listening in to the conversation with his sensitive hearing.


Rogue could tell he was a bit surprised, but he hid it well, only a brief look of surprise and confusion entered his eyes before he guarded his expression, giving her a shrug of his shoulders and nod in agreement. She smiled pleased, then put her attention back on Charles. "Logan’s agreed that it’s okay for us to stick with him."


Charles was surprised to hear that Logan was agreeing to keep not only Rogue, but two small children with him on a trip that would take days to complete, but reframed from commenting.
"Alright. How are you really Rogue? I have been greatly concerned for you. I wish you have kept in better contact with us, Rogue. Every time I located your whereabouts, you seemed to disappear again before I could make contact."


"I’m sorry you were worried, but I didn’t want to be found, but we’ll talk about that later. We’re going to be hitting the road soon, so I’ll let you go. We’ll see you in a few days. Good-bye Charles." Rogue said softly.


"Good-bye, my dear, and do not worry, you and the children will be safe with Logan. I look forward to seeing you when you get home."


"I look forward to seeing you too." Rogue replied softly, then hit the end button, and handed the phone back to Logan.


Logan could smell a trace of sadness in Rogue’s scent as she gave him a small smile as she had him back his phone.
"What do you say we get going, we have a long drive ahead of us. Hey, thanks for letting us stay, and continue on with you." Rogue said sincerely.


"Sure, no problem, Darlin." Logan said, but was again surprised at his actually being glad she had wanted to stay on with him, instead of wanting Chuck to send the jet after her and the kids.


"Thanks," She smiled at him, then turned to getting the kids ready to head out.


Logan headed for the door to get his eyes off of Rogue, still overwhelmed with the unusual thoughts and feeling running through him. Although surprisingly he kind of like the them, if he was being honest with himself. Shaking his head to dislodge the shocking revelation from his head. He wondered if he was becoming soft in his old age, or was it just Rogue and the kids that made him feel this way. He had a suspicion that it was latter one that was getting to him. Deciding he would only know for sure by spending time with them, he got busy getting the truck and camper ready to go.
Chapter End Notes:
Hey everyone. I'm back. I hope all of you enjoy the new chapter.