Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All rights belong to Stan Lee, Marvel, Fox, and whomever else owns rights to the X-men. I have not, nor will I ever received compensation for this story.


Warning: I just wanted to let you all know that Logan is somewhat OOC in this story, and if that bothers some of you, then I am sorry, and advise you to pass it on. However, I at least hope most of you will give it a try. Feel free to read and review, as long as you do it with respect. Now onto the show!


Warning: I’ve kept hearing about a lot of people don’t like Mary-Sue characters. Until today I never knew what people were talking about. I didn’t know what a Mary-Sue character was. Well I looked it up, and have come to find that my characters are most like Mary-Sues. However for now I only write for fun, and I may never write for any other reason. I may try to stem the tendency to go overboard, but for now I’m leaving the story as is. I just wanted to alert everyone so you’ll know what’s in store. To me Rogue is a strong character, and if you’ve read any of my other fics, you know what to expect. I’m sorry if this upsets or disappoints anyone. To those who it doesn’t bother, I hope you continue to read and enjoy. Feel free to review and tell me what you like and even what you didn’t as long as it is done with respect. Thanks for giving this fic a chance.
Chapter 2


Rogue stood by the tree line some fifty feet away, and watched as the lab she and others had been an involuntary quests of, went up in flames. Turning her back to it moments before the large propane tanks to the east of the building exploded with a force so strong, that the town fifty miles away felt what to them was a light tremor or earthquake.


Rogue helped the two small kids, she had rescued into the jeep she had hotwired, and headed for the small town she had been staying in before she was abducted. They were going to need some food, clothing, and gas. She also needed to empty out what was left of her banking account before they moved on. They were to close to the lab for comfort.


Rogue maneuvered the jeep into the gas station, and up to the pumping station. Thankfully it had ran out of gas only a few feet from the station. Sighing relieved, Rogue looked over at her two traveling companions, who had passed out asleep from exhaustion. Figuring she better wake them, knowing they would freak out if they woke up and she was gone. She also figured they could use a bathroom break.


"Nate, Sally." Rogue spoke softly to the little boy and girl, she rescued from the lab, so not to startle them awake. "Come on guys, wake up. I need for you guys to wake up."


The little boy Nate, who was eight years old, had dark brown shaggy hair, that was in desperate need of a cutting. His eyes were a pale hazel color with more of an amber color than green. He had a small gap between his two front teeth. He was underweight, like his sister. Both of them could stand to gain fifteen to twenty pounds to get them back to a healthier weight. He was short for his age, and poor, but he was one of the bravest kids Rogue had ever met. He was his sister’s self-appointed protector. He guarded her continuously. Always making sure he was within reach of her. Sally was the younger of the two, only six, with shoulder length blond hair that would naturally be wavy and bouncy, once it was clean and healthy. Her eyes were a dark coffee brown color, with the smallest hints of amber streaked around the pupil. Freckles were lightly dusted across her cheeks and small button nose. Both Nate and Sally were cute kids, and once they gain weight and filled out, Rogue knew they would be even more adorable. She didn’t understand how anyone could not want and love them, or how anyone could be so inhumane to want to hurt something so precious.


Nate peeked open his eyes first, but he made no sudden moves, until he peeked over toward Rogue, and saw her watching them with a gentle and kind smile. Remembering the woman had rescued them, and had been nice to them, Nate relaxed his grip on his sister, letting her know she could stop pretending she was still asleep.


Rogue watched as the little boy relaxed his protective grip on the little girl, so they both could sit up.


"Good morning guys." Rogue greeted warmly trying to ease the children’s fear. "We made it to the gas station. They should have a bathroom inside if you need to go. They should have some snack food too, if you’re hungry. I know I sure am." Rogue said letting the kids have some control in making their own choices. She smiled glad they were relaxing more around her when they both looked relieved, and nodded their heads yes, eagerly. She was always amazed at how resilient children were.


"Good, come on lets go." Rogue smiled brightly as she climbed out of the jeep, going around to the passenger side to help them out. Rogue was a little surprised, when Sally instead of climbing down, like Nate, attached herself to Rogue’s chest, wrapping her arms around her neck, and cling to her tightly, not wanting to be put down.


"She’s scared." Nate whispered hesitantly, still on guard around the new woman with the two white streaks in her hair, but quickly becoming more relaxed.


Giving Nate a small understanding smile, Rogue then turned her attention to the little girl in her arms. "It’s okay Sally, I won’t let anything happen to you, or to Nate." Rogue said hugging the girl and kissing her head.


"You promise?" Sally whispered her voice trembling, still clinging tightly to Rogue.


"I promise the both of you, I won’t let anyone else hurt us." Rogue promised the kids, her voice soft, but serious.


"Okay." Sally whispered easing up her grip, but still didn’t let Rogue go.


"Thank you." Nate said after a few moments of silence as he debated if he should trust Rogue. Seeing a sincere aura around the woman, he decided that maybe they could trust her. He slipped his small hand into hers.


"You’re welcome, Sweetie." Rogue smiled touched at his trust as he slipped his small hand into hers. She gave his hand a gentle squeeze, then led them inside the fueling station. After paying the attendant to fill the jeep up with thirty dollars in gas, Rogue lead the kids into the back to the bathrooms, to relieve themselves and to freshen up as much as possible.


Logan growled as he saw the military vehicle parked next to the pumping stations as he pulled into the fueling station’s parking lot. Not seeing anyone in the jeep, Logan filled his truck’s tank up, then went inside to pay, and scope out the person the jeep belonged to. Figuring this was his chance to find out if the military was onto Chuck’s friend. When Logan didn’t see the owner of the jeep anywhere, he knew the man had to be inside the toilets. After paying for his gas, and some other supplies, Logan headed back outside to wait.


After finishing up in the restroom, Rogue let the kids pick out anything they wanted to eat from the snack aisle. She had made sure to clear out the pockets of the soldiers before torching the place. They had enough cash to last them for a few days, if they spend it wisely. They’d be better set financially once she emptied out her bank account.


After paying for their selections, and for thirty bucks for gas, Rogue and the kids headed back outside. Sally was now holding tightly to Rogue’s hand, while Nate held Rogue’s other hand, and carried their bags of goodies.


Logan growled upset as he watched a young woman, with two kids, a little boy and girl. She held one of their hands in each of her own approached the jeep. The woman wore fatigues, and smelt of a medical lab. Feeling his claws itch for release, he gritted his teeth in anger as he watched the kids look around them fearfully. Their nervous and frightened scent invaded Logan‘s noses only making his anger worse. Not about to sit by and let the woman take the two kids, the oldest no older than seven or eight with her. Logan maneuvered around the back of the truck, and came to stand in between them and the jeep, blocking her chance of escaping. He watched as she stopped in her tracks with a serious and dark expression at him, while pushing the kids behind her.



"I don’t know what you want, but you won’t find it here, so just move on." Rogue warned the man firmly, but calmly so not to frighten the kids anymore than necessary.


Logan noticed the smell of blood on the woman, now that he was closer to her. He glanced at the children who clung to each other while staring fearfully at him, while staying behind the woman.


"I’m warning you, just move on; we don’t want any trouble." Rogue stated tightly when he made no move to leave, and just frowned at her and studied Nate and Sally.


Logan started to make a smart remark, but stopped with a hesitate look as he took a deep breath, and could smell the woman’s own nervousness, mixed with smoke and fuel along with the blood. Something just wasn’t right, but he wasn’t sure what it was.


"It’s not like theirs, it’s got white in it." Nate whispered to Rogue, still not taking his eyes off of Logan, while clutching Sally to him.


Rogue heard Nate, and was relieved, but still on guard. Just because this man, wasn’t like the soldiers and doctors back at the lab, didn’t mean he wouldn’t try to hurt them or rob them. Although if Nate saw white in the man’s aura, it meant there was some goodness in him. Hoping there was more white than darkness, Rogue waited for the man to make a move.


Logan heard the kid’s words, and frown confused. Something wasn’t adding up. The kids were more scared of him, than of the woman. He smelt the woman’s tension ease just slightly at the kid’s strange words. He could also tell by the woman’s stance and smell, that she was prepared to fight to protect the kids from him. If she was taking them to be tortured or experimented on, she wouldn’t smell so concerned and protective. Although the young woman’s eyes were hard as steel, they shown with willingness to do what she had to, to protect herself and the kids. Logan’s instincts were screaming at him, that she wasn’t there to hurt the kids. Use to following his gut, Logan relaxed his stance a little, and held up his hand palm forward in a non-threatening way.


"I’m not looking for any trouble, didn’t mean to startle you, all I want is some information. I’m looking for someone, and wanted to know if you might be able to help me." Logan stated honestly. Watching as the woman studied him, but remained on guard.


After a moment of tense silent Rogue spoke. "Who are you looking for?"


"She goes by the name Rogue." Logan stated. The moment the name left his lips, the girl’s scent spiked with suspicious, and her eyes became hostile. "Can’t help you, now leave."


Logan smelt the lie on her, and decided to try again.


"You’re lying kid, I can smell it on you. Now let’s try this again, I ask you where Rogue is, and you tell me the truth for a change." Logan grunted, hating being lied to.


"How about this, you take my answer, and be on your way." Rogue threw back just as serious.


Logan quirked his eyebrow at her smart reply, but was slightly amused and impressed at her bravery. She wasn’t letting him intimidate her. She was a brave little thing. "Nah, I don’t think so. See the thing is, a friend of mine, Charles Xavier is looking for her. Maybe you’ve heard of him."


Rogue was surprised to hear Charles name, but didn’t let her surprise show. A lot of people knew Charles, and some even knew she use to be a student of his when she was younger. Of course a lot had changed since then.


Logan smelt the surprise in the girl’s scent at Chuck’s name, and knew that she knew the name, but he didn’t understand why she would smell so surprised by it. He waited for her to answer, before saying another word.


Rogue studied the man before her. His wild untamed black hair that swept up into two spikes, that was attached to muttonchops on his rough features. His intense hazel eyes that she was sure that didn‘t miss much, his short, but muscular frame, the way he held himself that screamed danger even when he was trying to appear at ease. She wondered if he and Charles were truly friends, and Charles had really sent him to find her. She knew not to judge by appearances. She thought of Beast. There was a man, who truly did look like a beast, but was one of the most respectable, kind, and intelligent men she had meet. If this man was telling the truth, then he could have just solved her problem about what to do with Nate and Sally. Rogue knew the two children need medical help, and a safe place to stay. Even though she herself didn’t care much to go back, and see Jean again, Rogue knew Charles’s school was the best place for Nate and Sally for right now. Nate had said the man had white in his aura, so Rogue answered honestly to a certain degree while still watching the man critically for any signs of lying or trickery.


"I know the name. Who are you?"


Logan started to answer Wolverine, but for some reason answered, "Logan. So do I get a honest answer now?" Logan asked crossing his arms impatiently over his chest, his brow quirk, giving her an expecting look while his expression showed his impatience as well.


"You’re a friend of Xavier’s?" Rogue asked watching the man, Logan, for his reaction instead of listening for his answer.


"Listen kid, I’m not about to stand here and repeat everything all day." Logan growled annoyed. To his total surprise, the girl gave a half smile at his growl. She was more amused, then frightened. His eyes hardened even more at being laughed at. When she didn’t say anything, just continued to stare at him expectantly, he sighed frustrated, but gave in an answered. "Yeah, I’m Chuck’s friend. Now you’re pressing it kid, I’m not a patient person. Where is Rogue?" Logan hissed out.


"How much white, Nate?" Rogue asked Nate curious, while keeping her attention glued to the annoyed man in front of them.


"It’s got white and off white spots, mixed with other colors, but there’s some darkness it too, like yours." Nate answered softly.


"What is the kid talking about? What spots, what colors?" Logan asked confused.


"You a mutant?" Rogue asked instead of answering his question.


Logan glanced around the parking lot, glad it was empty. This wasn’t the type of conversation that need an audience, especially with the military close by. He met her steady gaze with a hard one in return. "Yeah, Why?" Logan demanded.


"Nate can see auras. He sees colors around people, which tell him about the person’s true nature."


"Oh," Logan said unsure what else to say on the subject, although if the kid had already developed his mutation at an early age, he needed to see Chuck too. "What about her?" Logan asked motioning his head toward the little girl, who at his look, whimpered and clung to the woman’s leg tighter, and clutched the little boys arm.


Logan hated that he frightened the little girl. He tried to soften his expression for both the kid’s sakes.


"Sally can sense peoples emotions. What about yourself?" Rogue asked looking at him curious more now that suspicious, but still on guard.


"Feral," Logan answered thinking it might help ease the little kids’ fear of him to know he was a mutant like themselves.


"That’s why you said you could smell it." Rogue said understandingly.


"Yeah, now how about you answer my questions for a change. Where can I find Rogue?"


"Answer me one more question straight, and I’ll tell you." Rogue stated unmoved by the man’s clearly annoyed growl.


"What?" Logan sighed frustrated, figuring it best just to go ahead an answer her, seeing how his demanding hadn’t gotten him anywhere, but laughed at.


"What does Xavier, want with her?"


"He wants her to go see him, and talk to him. He’s worried about her. Now, I’ve answered your questions, answer mine." Logan demanded.


"Very well, I’m Rogue." Rogue stated calmly, finally easing her guard more.


At the girl’s answer, Logan cocked his brow unbelieving and pissed. "Listen kid, I haven’t got all day to play around with you. Rogue can’t touch, which you clearly can. Now I want the truth." Logan grunted upset that he had been honest with her, and she was continuing to lie to him.


"If I was lying, wouldn’t you smell it on me?" Rogue asked cocking her own eyebrow at him.


Logan opened his mouth to tell her to quit stalling, but stopped with a frown at her words. She was right. "You’re Rogue?" Logan asked still not ready to fully believe her.


"Yes."


Still not smelling any type of lie on her, he continued to stare at her with a confused expression. "Chuck said you were an old student of his, and that you couldn’t touch." Logan stated looking pointedly at her bare hands, that had not long ago held onto Nate and Sally’s bare hands.


"I was his student about eight years ago, and obviously I can touch now." Rogue retorted. "Now, the kids and I are hungry, and need to get going, so could you please move?" Rogue stated more relaxed, but seriously.


"Chuck asked me to tell you he wants you to come back to the school, he’s worried about you. He asked me to give you a lifted back to New York."


"You’re not leaving us, are you?" Sally asked looking up at Rogue clearly frightened and upset.


Nate hugged his sister close and tried to reassure her.
"It’s okay Sally, we’ll be okay, I’ll take care of you." Nate stated frightened too, but trying not to show it.


Rogue frowned and dropped down to her knees, reaching out to take a hold of both Nate and Sally’s hands in her.
"There is no way, I’m going to leave you. I promised to take care of you, didn’t I?" Rogue asked gently, but serious.


"Yes." Sally whispered, and jumped into Rogue’s arms relieved.


"Nate?" Rogue asked holding out her other arm to him, with a question, but a open look on her face.


Nate gave Rogue a hesitate look for a moment, before smiling and went into her arms. Rogue hugged both of them close, before pulling back and climbing back to her feet, while still holding onto one of their hands.


“If I go, they go." Rogue stated leaving no room to argue.


"Looks like all four of us are going then. There’s not much room in my truck for four, but the kids can ride in the camper." Logan said motioning over to where his truck and camper was parked. Logan sighed looking over the small group. He came to collect this Rogue for Chuck, and ended up with three passengersS instead of one. He only hope they’d make it back to the school before he snapped.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks everyone who is continuing to read this story. I hope I didn't turn to many of you away with my warning, but I felt it deserved mentioning for those of you who really can't stand it. I hope all of you have a great day or night, which ever the case may be. :D