“Why does it have to be you?” Marie asked when they were getting ready for bed. Logan was standing in the miniscule bathroom which they shared, toothbrush hanging almost comically from the corner of his mouth when he kept thinking about her question.

“Who else could do it?” He finally asked, his eyes searching for hers via mirror.

“Seth?” Marie asked. Logan spat out frothy toothpaste and rinsed his mouth before answering.

“No.”

“No?”

“Seth isn’t a mutant. This isn’t his problem,” Logan said and reached for the blanket covering the bed. Marie was sitting on it, refusing to budge.

“He could go and give Xavier a letter from you. He wouldn’t even have to stay long enough to tell who wrote it. He could just slip it in to mailbox and…”

“Seth could do that. But what could he do if the place was already ruined? The mansion torn apart, bodies laying here and there, Xavier and others disappeared? What the hell could Seth do?” Logan asked with a low voice, giving the blanket a firm tug, sending Marie on the floor on her back.

“Well, what the hell could even you do if they were all dead or disappeared?” Marie asked, rubbing her backside.

“I’d figure out who did it. After that I’d make sure that they wouldn’t do it again. I’m going, and that’s final. End of discussion.”

“But…”

“End of discussion, kid. I’m leaving tomorrow. You’ll stay here with Seth. I’ll come back as soon as I have warned Xavier,” Logan said.

“And if you don’t come back?” Marie asked.

“I will come back.”

***


“For fuck’s sake! What part of me going alone didn’t you understand?” Logan growled after popping open the trunk of the car he had borrowed from Seth. Marie sat up rubbing the back of her head.

“You really think that I’d stay back and wait for you? Not knowing if you’ll come back?” She asked, climbing down and grasping Logan’s arm when pins and needles in her feet threatened to topple her over.

“I said I’d come back.”

“That’s what you said. But it’s kind of hard to keep your promise if you’re captured or dead. I rather get killed with you than wait back in El Rey for eternity for your return.”

“Jesus… I don’t have time to take you back; I guess I’ll have to keep you with me…” Logan mumbled, then grabbed her and hoisted her in to the car, slamming the door shut. “Buckle your seatbelt. We’re close the border already, and I’m not sure how we’ll cross it. If it’s closed I have to ram the barricades.”

“Weren’t you supposed to avoid attention?” Marie asked. Logan nodded.

“I was going to tiptoe my way in, but I think we’re running out of time. I have this weird feeling…”

“Ants in the pants?”

“You could say so. I felt something few moments ago. Like Xavier was trying to reach me. He doesn’t call me just to say hi, it’s too hard to get through to me. Xavier thinks that adamantium is blocking his telepathy or something…” Logan explained.

***


Border patrols posed no threat to them. Officials were too busy with throwing out mutants; they had no time to spare to check out vehicles getting in from Mexico.

“For once something worked for our advantage. And if this circus is still running when we come back… Well, we don’t have to bother hiding. We just have to blurt out that we’re mutants and they’ll escort us cross the border,” Logan said, hint of a smile tugging the corners of his mouth. “But I do have a problem now,” he continued, turning to look at Marie.

“A problem? What is it?” Marie asked.

“You. I can’t take you with me to Xavier. God only knows what’s going on in there. Maybe nothing. Maybe they’re alright. Maybe the place is already demolished and swarming with hunters.”

“But I could help you! I could…”

“You’d make a good distraction, yeah. As long as those mutts keep chewing on you they won’t bother coming after me. But that’s the kind of scenario that we’re trying to prevent, kid. I’m leaving you to a motel, and I’ll pick you up on my way back.”

“But…”

“Hush. You can argue all you like, but it won’t change a thing. You’ll stay back and let me take care of this. There will be many more opportunities for you to get maimed or killed later.”

“I flew the blackbird. I was gathering intel with you. You wouldn’t have made it through without me and…”

“Shut the fuck up, kid. As soon as you can kick my ass without draining somebody you can tell me what to do. While we’re waiting for that to happen I call the shots.”

“I can kick your ass…”

“Yeah, but only if you drain me first. Like I said, this isn’t open for discussion. I will gag you if you don’t stop bitching about this.”

“As nice as you gagging me sounds, I guess I’ll shut up now…”

“Kid?”

“Yes?”

“Shut up.”

“It’s that bad? What’s going on at Xavier’s is that bad?” Marie asked, now completely serious and little afraid. If something was bad enough to get Logan on the edge… It was bad.

“I don’t know what’s going on. For all I know professor might very well ask me to accompany him for a cup of tea and some biscuits. For all I know, there won’t be anything left to salvage. I’m not afraid of decent fight; it’s the not knowing that makes me twitch… And sooner I get you settled in to somewhere, sooner I get to find out how things are with professor and everybody else.”

***


Marie safely tucked away to a convenient motel Logan could go on with his mission. It didn’t take him long to reach Xavier’s mansion. From the distance everything seemed to be alright. No smoke coming out anywhere from the building, garden and lawns in immaculate condition, buildings at school grounds intact.

“But why would Stryker or anybody else demolish the place anyway? They just need us muties…” Logan grumbled, taking another look through the binoculars. Place looked dead. Deserted. At this time of the day the front lawn should have been swarming with kids of all shapes and sizes, but the whole mansion looked eerily silent and empty. He started the engine of the car, and then decided otherwise. If something had happened, if somebody had indeed attacked and carted Xavier, the staff and kids away, wouldn’t that somebody still be watching over the place in case of strays that returned?

“Better sneak in…”

Sneaking in was easy for him. After all, he had spent considerable amount of time as part of Xavier’s inner circle, and knew his way around the premises. Old sewers hidden at the back of the mansion provided a way in.

“If these tunnels even were sewers, ever… Xavier, you’re one sneaky bastard,” Logan grinned, then stopped in front of a panel. One touch of his fingertips would send it sliding up and grant him access to the hallway just outside of Xavier’s office. He tilted his head and listened carefully. Nothing. Hallway on the other side of the panel was silent. He poked the panel gently with his index finger, every muscle coiled. Ready to launch in to attack just in case somebody with bad intentions was waiting on the other side.

There was nobody waiting. One sniff of stale air, and his nose confirmed what his backbone and gut had been telling him all along. Mansion was empty. He pushed open the door to Xavier’s office. Nothing seemed out of place. Everything was neat and tidy, books and papers on the desk were waiting for Xavier’s arrival, chalkboard near the window still carried evidence of Xavier’s last physics class.

“What the hell happened here?” Logan whispered and walked around the massive desk, reaching for the pile of papers at the center of it. Equations, charts and essays of the students. Just waiting for somebody to rate them. Logan discarded the papers and reached for the phone sitting next to them. No dial tone, just empty line. He listened for a moment. Nothing. There was nobody at the other end of the line. Yet he had this strange feeling, like a tickle in his ear, warding him off from the phone. Like somebody, or something was listening in him breathing and listening the silent line.

He put the receiver back in to cradle, then picked it up and twisted it open to see if there was something wrong with it. No bugs, just something that looked a lot like basic phone device should look like.

***


Logan left the mansion after combing it thoroughly in search of clues. He had found absolutely nothing. Nothing was out of place. There were no mysterious slips of paper. There were no hidden notes on the walls. There was absolutely nothing to clue him in to the disappearance of the students and the staff. Even Xavier’s fleet of vehicles was still safely stored in the garage.

That combined with the fact that every official from kindergarten to special black OP’s was now on full alert and ready to act from the first sign of mutant activity forced him to retreat. It didn’t feel right just to leave, but what could he do? For all he knew Xavier could have arranged some sort of elaborate evacuation to hide the staff and the students.

***


“What are we going to do now?” Marie asked after he had briefed her in on the situation.

“We’re going back to El Rey. There’s nothing we can do. We’re going to rent a place from Seth and lay low until the storm is over,” Logan said. Marie looked relieved and rose on tip-toes in front of him to give him the mother of all hugs.

“I’ve been afraid from the moment we left Seth’s place. I already lost everybody else when Scott got hurt, I don’t want to lose you, too,” she whispered and sniffled a bit. Logan held her, trying his best to convey comfort and brotherly love despite the fact that her closeness was slowly waking up completely different emotions in him. The kind of emotions that he was supposed to keep buried under ton of concrete because she was just a kid. She was twenty-one, according to law perfectly legal, but she was just a kid. Period. It didn’t matter that her curvaceous body felt just right and her breasts rubbed his pectorals in quite suggestive way. It really didn’t matter, but he had to struggle to let go of her when their embrace just kept going until it actually felt more awkward than pleasurable.

“How are we going to get across the border?” Marie asked. Logan shrugged his shoulders.

“When we came here it looked like they got their hands full with us muties, and they weren’t capturing us. If they’re still deporting us we can just drive there and ask to be let out of the country.”

“What if they have changed their minds? They were talking about camps for us in the news while you were away,” Marie said. Again Logan shrugged his shoulders.

“We’ll worry about that when we get there.”

***


“We’re supposed to detain as many of you guys as we can. But those Special OP’s assholes haven’t picked up even the first batch. Just go and do not bother to come back and we’re good,” tired looking officer of the border patrol said when Logan approached him with Marie.

“Thanks,” Marie whispered as Logan turned to leave. Officer looked at her, sad smile tugging the corners of his mouth.

“They already took my wife and our daughter. I don’t give a shit of their great speeches and plans. Just stay out of this hell and stay safe,” he then said. Marie nodded, unsure of what to say. Logan resolved her dilemma by dragging her in to their car.

“You heard the man. We better get going before he changes his mind.”

They crossed the border in silence. Their journey back to El Rey was surprisingly uneventful. Seth welcomed them and made some arrangements. They settled in to a small hut at Seth’s backyard. One bedroom, small kitchen and a bathroom.

“I’ll give him a month, tops,” Seth said one night when she was sitting with him at the bar, wondering how long it would take before Logan got restless. “One month, and even that’s stretching it. So if you got some plans, I’d suggest that you do something now. He’s not going to sit and mope much longer.”

“Uhm… Plans? Why… What plans?” Marie squeaked, turning beet red under Seth’s scrutinizing gaze.

“I’m not blind. Or stupid. You two better start boning each other while you still can. There’s no telling how long we’ll be safe here.”

“Logan doesn’t want me like that! Besides, we couldn’t even if he wanted to… My skin…”

“Bullshit. There’s gallons of latex paint at the backroom. Grab a bucket and introduce Logan to a whole new level of safe sex. Do it before it’s too late,” Seth said, stood up and left her alone with a shot of whiskey and an idea.

***


She waited until she knew that Logan would be gone for several hours. She couldn’t just claim the bathroom for the whole evening and expect Logan not to be even the slightest bit of curious. She borrowed his razor. Hesitated only a moment when it became apparent that she’d have to shave everything to make the paint work as she wished. She wasn’t going to cover her whole head, her hairs would provide enough protection, but otherwise her skin had to be extra smooth.

After shaving she looked at herself from the full-length mirror and swallowed, almost backing out. Would Logan finally see that she was more than just a kid? Or would he simply tell her to wash off the sticky stuff and put clothes back on before she caught cold?

She shook her head. She wasn’t going to back out now. Seth was right. World was on a fast lane straight to Hell. At least she should try. She opened the first small bucket and dipped the soft brush in to light blue goo. It felt cold on her skin, but it dried quickly, leaving smooth and not even slightly sticky surface.

***



She painted her face last. She tried to be careful and cover all of her skin. She kept twisting and turning in front of the mirror to make sure that she hadn’t missed anything.

“There’s a blank spot, right under your left shoulder,” Logan suddenly said. She whirled around. He was standing at the door of the bathroom, leaning on the doorjamb, hands crossed over his chest. When she just stood there dazed, staring at him, Logan stepped closer and took the brush from her. It slid over her shoulder, down her back. She could feel Logan’s gaze following the path it took.

“There. Better?” He asked, urging her to turn around and look in to the mirror.

“Uh… Yeah… Thanks,” she stuttered, now unsure and quite embarrassed. This hadn’t been part of her plan. Logan wasn’t supposed to be home. Not yet. She met his eyes on the smooth surface of the mirror.

“Seth. He told me. Are you… Is this… Are you sure?” Logan asked.

“No…” She managed to squeak. Logan huffed and crouched behind her. “You weren’t supposed to come back. Not yet,” she stuttered. Logan huffed again, reached her with his hand, then changed his mind and let his hands rest over his thighs.

“What was supposed to happen? What were you going to do?” He asked. “I stayed hour or so out, and when I got back, you’d… What?”

“I’m not a kid, Logan. I’m a grown woman,” Marie started. Logan stood up and turned to leave the bathroom.

“Don’t you think I know that already? But there’s a big difference of being adult and being ready for something,” he spoke with a low voice. She could tell from his posture that this was the one battle he wasn’t planning to lose. She walked after him.

“And how would you know if I’m ready? You have been coddling me so long, that it’s all you can do! I’m not some fragile porcelain doll! I won’t break if you play with me!” She shouted, determined to change his mind. Logan turned around to face her, questioning look on his face.

“Is that all you want? To play? I don’t think so… Kid. I’m not going to play with you. I got all the hookers Seth has on his payroll if I want just to play. I’m not… You’re not… I don’t play with you,” he growled.

She almost backed out. Obviously she had struck a wrong cord, and they were out of sync. Instead of reasonable, curious and horny Logan was plain angry now. He grasped a firm hold from her arm and pulled her closer, his face hovering only inches from hers.

“Back at Laughlin I made you a promise. I promised not to hurt you. I’d like to think that I held that one quite good. I’d like to keep not hurting you, if that’s okay with you?” He murmured. She suppressed the urge to point out that she’d have bruises shaped after his fingers underneath the paint later.

“You’re already hurting me, Logan. I’m not a child. I don’t want to be treated like one,” she whispered instead. She could see the gradual shift in his eyes. From anger to… Despair?

“Marie… Don’t. Don’t do this…”

She leaned closer, closing the gap that separated them and laid a kiss on the corner of his mouth.

“You’re not going to hurt me. I want this. I want you. All of you,” she whispered. Logan’s resolve was already cracked. He was holding her with both hands, keeping her close rather than trying to scare her off.

“You’re still going to be here when I wake up in the morning?” He asked.

“Where else would I be?” She asked.

“I just want you to be sure about this. I don’t want you to leave just because you’re having second thoughts about us and what we’re going to do.”

“I’m not going to leave you. I’ve wanted this for long. I want you.”

***


It was awkward at first. Either of them hadn’t thought of the logistics of it all, they kept stumbling and giggling nervously as if they were couple of teenagers. She was overjoyed, finally able to touch him. He was nervous, but eager to finally make it happen. They couldn’t get his clothes off fast enough. He couldn’t get his hands on her fast enough. Their short trek over the floor to the corner where her bed stood was a hazardous one, and it was a small wonder that they made it without serious injuries. Logan struck his toe twice and she bumped her forehead against his too often to count.

“You know, I’m not usually this… This clumsy,” Logan whispered breathlessly when he came up for air. She grasped his hair.

“I don’t want to think about your usual…” She hissed and pulled him back to her, locking his lips with her own. Further conversation could wait.

***


He woke up to a pleasant feeling of warmth. Marie slept peacefully by his side, one hand and leg thrown over him. She was still covered with latex from head to toe. Light blue membrane was torn and cracked from waist up. Below waist level it was still intact. In the end they hadn’t been ready for more, but holding her and kissing and caressing her had been more than enough.

He let his fingers map a path from the tip of her nose to her navel. She flinched in her dream, but didn’t wake up. It felt wrong. Rubbery surface of her painted skin protected them both, but it couldn’t feel all that comfortable for her. It was a barrier. It just wasn’t right. He grasped a small flap that hang loose over her cheekbone and tore it off, carefully, not wanting to wake her yet. Another strip of blue latex gone, from the top of her nose this time. Piece by piece he kept peeling her face, wanting to see her creamy skin instead of blue rubber. When he reached the hollow of her throat he stopped. He’d better wait for her to wake up before he continued.

He turned on his side, face to face with her. She was beautiful. Pretty. Cute as a kitten, and according to her own words, completely his. He could still remember how she looked back at the Laughlin. Scared. Hungry. Tired. And undoubtedly his from the very moment he saw her. She had thrown her heart at his feet for him to do as he saw fit. And what had he done? He had taken it and kept it under a sturdy lock, refusing to give it deserved attention.

She wasn’t a kid. Had never been. It was time to accept it. It was time to stop hurting her. It was time to accept the fact that he loved her, had loved her from the moment he first saw her in that dingy bar.

He closed his eyes, calling forth every love and lust filled thought he had had about her over the years and kissed her bare lips, hoping to transfer his longing and love to her.

He kept kissing her, now almost desperate for it to work. Her skin wasn’t reacting. He wasn’t in agony; she wasn’t waking up and screaming. He was able to kiss her bare lips and she was answering to his kiss, slowly waking up to the realization that for some reason she wasn’t hurting him.

***


She was drowning in to sensations. Logan’s lips were everywhere at once, his teeth nibbling and his tongue laving, he was tearing in to the blue membrane that separated them. She pulled him on top of her, not getting enough of the delicious contact of their skins, she wanted, she needed more. Logan was efficient and thorough, tearing off flaps of rubber and smoothing the aggravated skin underneath with his tongue. She was going to explode in his embrace soon. His hands kept finding places that hadn’t been touched for years. His lips were traveling paths she had only imagined in her wildest dreams. There was no trace of the earlier fumbling and stumbling. No insecurity. It was as if their bodies had finally grown tired of waiting, instincts took over.

When Logan moved lower on the bed and his head landed on her lower abdomen she felt a bit squeamish. It was one thing to fantasize about things. This was really happening. She froze. Logan turned to look at her, question in his dark eyes. For a while she struggled, then need won over reason.

“Be careful,” she whispered, then closed her eyes. And careful he was. At first she felt only the lightest of touch. His fingers. He was caressing the inner side of her thighs, tips of his fingers sliding over the rubber, climbing higher until he reached her cleft. There he stopped, moving back up on the bed, facing her.

“What?” She asked confused.

“Have to peel all this stuff away first. I don’t want anything between us. Turn around…”

She turned on her stomach, amazed at how sensitive even her backside was. Logan’s fingers, lips, teeth and tongue made her squirm from pleasure underneath him. And he was taking his sweet time in exposing her, lingering over at most delicious places, making her melt completely under his ministrations. At one point she hazily realized that he hadn’t actually touched anything that was traditionally thought as erogenous. Yet she was quite sure that this constant peak she was teetering on was the longest orgasm of her life. And when Logan urged her to turn around she was almost disappointed. Soon that feeling turned in to pure bliss. There were only scraps let of the shielding cocoon, but they were blocking something very important. She could feel, first his fingers gently prying off layer of rubber from the juncture of her thighs. Then his hot, ragged breath over her skin. Tongue delving in to her crevice, finding her already soaking wet. She gasped, trying to form a coherent plea, trying to make him understand that she couldn’t take this much longer. Logan seemed to understand and climbed higher on the bed, settling on top of her, his cock brushing her lightly.

“Are you sure?” He once more asked. She could only nod. That was the only confirmation he needed.

At first it hurt. She wasn’t prepared for that. She bit her lip, tears threatening to escape. Logan stayed still, just holding her close, letting her to get accustomed.

“Sorry about this… But it’ll get better,” he whispered. “Just relax. We’re in no hurry,” he said, rolling them over so that she lay on top of him. For a long moment she stayed there, listening the sound of his heart. It was strong.

She tried to move her hips. It felt strange at first, but when she sat up it was better. She could feel his cock inside of her, rubbing and stretching her. It didn’t feel bad, just different. Different from what she had imagined. Logan grabbed her hips.

“Move a little… There… Better?” He asked his eyes half hooded. She was now leaning over him, his cock rubbing her in a different way. It was not all the way in, and she could feel it pressing something very sensitive.

“Much better…” She whispered, building up a rhythm that made her insides tingle. Logan seemed to enjoy as well, letting her find out what she liked on her own rather than just taking her.

She was slowly picking up her pace when Logan suddenly grasped her again and rolled them over, pushing deeper in to her. She bit his shoulder to muffle her scream. It didn’t feel strange or bad anymore. She was starting to wonder how some people were able to choose celibacy over Heaven, for Heaven or Paradise this had to be.