Author's Chapter Notes:
Sooo yeah...sorry about not updating in forever. My life=kill me now. SO here is my apology. All mistakes are mine.
Time seemed to have skipped forward. Logan was even bigger than before finally starting to look his age. Which Marie guessed was about seven. His face had thinned out some and his face was beginning to look like the Logan she knew instead of the chubby faced little boy from before. God she wanted this to be over. She just wanted Logan to be better, she wanted Logan to remember as well, if that’s what he wanted, but she didn’t like the chances. What if he didn’t come back?
----------------------------------------------------------
Summer had finally arrived much to James’ excitement, he no longer was cooped up inside for fear of pneumonia or other such illnesses he would surely contract. Even though James has grown over the past two years he still became ill very often and didn’t have enough chances to go outside and play with his brother and Victor.

James didn’t mind it too much though, he was content in just sitting inside sitting with his mother and sister, showing her his toys and making her laugh. He followed her around as she toddled around the mansion, making sure she didn’t bump into anything.

Margaret was beautiful, her dark auburn hair was just beginning to reach her shoulders and her eyes shown with love and just pure happiness. When she cried James was always there to calm her. Their mother was very proud.

James was walking down the hall on his way outside, he was finally allowed out today, when he bumped into his brother.

“Hey Johnny want to go outside to play?”

John was fourteen by now and he had slowly begun to drift away from his brother, what with the new baby and their father who was pushing a lot of new responsibilities on him.

John Sr. was gone a lot these days on business leaving John as man of the house. Once he had turned thirteen his father saw to it that he began to get trained in up keeping the estate while he was gone. John had no time for silly games with his baby brother.

“Sorry Jimmy, you know father is coming back tonight and I need to make sure everything is perfect. It’s important. Why don’t you go find Victor? I think he’s done with his work for the day.”

James frowned at this, his brother never had time for him anymore and he hated the drifting feeling that they had between them. He missed John.

“Well okay I guess.”

“Wonderful! I’ll see you later than Jimmy.”

“See ya.”

James continued his way down the hall in a slightly more sour mood than before when something caught his attention. As he approached the doors that lead to his father’s study he heard muffled voices. A man and a women. There seemed to be some kind of argument going on between them if the sharp whispers were anything to go by. His curiosity getting the best of him he knocked on the door.

“Hello? Who’s in there? What’s going on?”

The whispers stopped suddenly and there was a long pause before someone replied.

“It’s just me darling, go on your way,”replied his mother.

“Mama who’s in there?”

“Go along James.” His mother’s voice hit a pleading note that raised alarm in the boy.

“Mama ar-“ James didn’t finish his sentence as the door was wrenched open and an angry looking Thomas Creed looked down at him. God this man was terrifying.

“Boy your mother said to get. So I suggest you get. The grown-ups are having a conversation.” Thomas growled.

James looked around the towering figure that was Creed and glanced worriedly at his mother. She looked frazzled and her hair was out of place. Her eyes were puffy as if she had been crying. Her dress was rumpled.

“James I’m fine, me and Mr. Creed are just having a conversation. Go on and play. I saw Victor outside go one now,” pleaded his mother.

“If you’re sure Mama.”

Elizabeth nodded and with another menacing growl from Creed James backed away from the door as it was promptly shut in his face.

Thomas Creed terrified him, when it came to that man all strength and courage left him putting their tails between their legs and took off running. He was a big hulking mass of a man and he’s was pretty sure he killed a man. He may be seven but he wasn’t as naïve as everyone might think he was. When he saw Victor he knew his father had beat him. Creed didn’t really try to hide it. Today Victor was sporting a black eye.

James grimaced, it was unfair how Creed treated his only son. James’ father never hit him. Creed he figured was just as low as you could get.

“Hey” said James.

Victor was sitting under the big oak tree out front and was scowling at the ground, looking as if he was in deep thought. With the appearance of Jimmy he glanced up, scowl still on his face.

“What do you want Master James?”

“You know I hate it when you call me that.”

“Well isn’t that how a lowly servant should address his master?” mocked Victor.

“You’re not my servant you’re my friend.”

That shut Victor up, his scowl easing up into an uneasy frown.

“What do you want Jimmy,” Victor asked quietly.

“Want to play? We could go into the woods, go to that place you like, down by the pond.”

The corners of Victor’s lips slowly began to slide up.
“That sounds like a blast,” Victor jumped up from where he was sitting and began walking in the direction of the woods at the edge of the property, “Come on runt!”

“I hate that more!” yelled James

Victor only chuckled.
--------------------------------------------------------
The boys sat shoulder to shoulder with their feet dangling at the waters edge. Even though it was summer it was a particularly chilly day so they decided not to swim.

“Hey Jim?”

“What?”

“Do you ever feel...different?”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t know, like the world has suddenly become so much clearer, you feel stronger, just better.”

“Victor wha-“

“Come on Jimmy! You’ve never felt like that? I mean sometimes I feel like I could just go up to my Pa and just break his neck! And you’ve seen my Pa!” he replied almost frantically.

“Victor, Jesus, what are you talking about?” James was becoming concerned Victor was starting to look a little wild, his eyes were dark.

Victor seemed to sense James’ unease, “Never mind, just forget it, I’m just sick of my Pa he’s an old bastard."

“I’m sorry Victor. You’re a good person, you don’t deserve that.” James replied quietly

Victor snorted, “No need to get all sentimental on me runt,” Victor couldn’t hide the small smile on his face.
-------------------------------------------------------
The group watched the boys interactions. Marie was frowning at the young Victor. No child should ever be beaten, especially by the person who is supposed to protect them. She continued to frown at the young boy, with the passing years he looked more like the Victor they knew today and her suspicions were almost justified. However this Victor didn’t look very beast like. He wasn’t sporting his famous claws or long fangs, he looked normal.

Even if Victor was only a few years older than James you could already tell this boy was going to be massive. ‘And dangerous’ thought Marie and from the looks the others were showing she probably wasn’t the only one. Marie glanced over to Logan’s still form. A frown was slowly making its way onto his features. Marie couldn’t help mirroring his expression as more visions overtook her.
------------------------------------------------------
The boys headed back to the as the sun began to set. James’ father would be returning soon and he had to look presentable for dinner. Once they reached the property they went their separate ways. Victor never stayed for dinner.

James ran up the stairs to change, the house was loud with excitement and anticipation. He was just changing his shirt when he heard the front doors burst open and he heard his father’s voice conversing with one of the servants. James grinned, his father was finally home.

James rushed down the stairs taking two by two and jumped into a dignified landing at the bottom of the stairs. One of the maids saw was he had done and looked at him sternly. He gave her a sheepish smile and quickly walked to the dinner hall.

His parents still hadn’t arrived but his brother and little Margaret were seated on opposite sides of the table.

“Jimmy! Jimmy!” gurgled his sister.

“Maggie! How are you? I haven’t seen you all day!”

Margaret didn’t know many words yet, she was only two, so she just continued to gurgle at her brother. John and James both shared a fond smile.

The doors opened and both of his parents walked in. James stared intently at his mother, her cloths and hair were put back to place and her eyes were no longer puffy. The only evidence that something was troubling her was that she wasn’t smiling, at least not her bright smile that always made him smile in return, no matter how bad he felt. His parents sat in their places and the servant began bringing in the food.

“So John I’ve walked through the property, to check up on things.”

John snapped his gaze to his father, anxiety was rolling off of him in waves. “And how was it?” he asked tentatively.

John Sr. grinned, “Very nice job Johnny, I’m proud, everything is as it should be.”

Jr. grinned letting out the breath he had been holding.
“You’ve done such an amazing job that I have a surprise for you.”

“A surprise?”

“Well I shall be back for a while and the weather is starting to be nice so I propose you and I go on a hunting trip together! What do you say?”

“Father that’s sounds wonderful!” Jr. was practically bouncing in his seat from excitement.

“Excellent! Then we shall leave first thing tomorrow morning. I’ve already gotten one of the maids to pack your things.”

James was silent throughout this whole conversation. What about him?

“Papa, what about me? May I go too?”

John’s grin fell as he looked at his son, when he spoke his tone was serious.

“I’m sorry James but you are still too young, and besides we can’t risk your health now can we?”

“But Papa I want to go! I’ll be fine really!” begged James

“No James, I shall not give on this. You are staying with your mother and sister.”

“But I-“

“James! Do not make me repeat myself,” his father was scowling at him. He really didn’t like repeating himself.

James’ lower lip wobbled, this always happened to him. His father always chose John for things over him just because he thought James was weak. The meal carried on in silence and at the first chance he excused himself.

James didn’t stop he ran all the way to his room and ‘damn it’ he thought he began to cry. James really tried to be strong he really did, but this just wasn’t fair. He was too caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t hear his door open or see his mother walk in.

“James?” she cooed, “Darling don’t be upset, your father is just looking out for your wellbeing.”

“He never lets me do anything! He favors John more than me! I always get left behind!” yelled James.

Elizabeth looked at her son with sadness in her eyes. “My darling you know that isn’t true, he loves you very much.” She slowly rubbed circles on his back to help sooth him and she began to hum his lullaby.

“Stop it!”, James was becoming angrier the longer she hummed, “I’m not a baby so stop treating me like one!”

The expression on Elizabeth’s face could only be described as hurt, than anger. “Fine then! Your right James I should no longer treat you like a baby as you are such a strong man.”

She quickly left the room leaving James stunned. He yelled at his mother, he yelled at his mother. The look on her face crushed his heart. She never yelled at him before either. He had no idea where all of the anger and hate had come from, it was so unlike himself it scared him. He instantly regretted his behavior but was too scared to seek her out and apologize.

“Jimmy? Why loud?” James head whipped up, Maggie was staring at him on the verge of tears herself.

“Shh Maggie, I’m sorry, don’t cry,” he whispered.

Maggie lifted her arms in a silent plea and James obliged. He held her tight he wasn’t going to hurt two people in one night. He already hurt one person he cared for the most he wasn’t going to traumatize his baby sister.

“I’m a horrible person Maggie,” he whimpered

“Lub Jimmy,” cooed Margaret.

James sighed, “I love you too.”
--------------------------------------------------------
His father, brother and a few other men from the house loaded up the next morning and headed out. They would be gone for at least a week. James envied them, he wanted to show his father he was strong.

“Jimmy play?”

He turned and smiled at his sister sure Maggie I’ll play.”
-------------------------------------------------------
Three days had went by. His mother seemed to be avoiding him which was odd and made his insides twist in guilt. He spent most of his time with either Victor or Margaret. Victor nor his father went on the hunting trip, they decided to stay.

Victor wouldn’t let James wallow in self-pity and jealousy and they spent their afternoons down by the pond or playing other games. His evenings he spent reading or playing with his sister.

It was just the three of them at dinner, his mother barely speaking, she hated hunting, everyone knew that she believed it was dangerous and barbaric so James decided it wasn’t just his outburst that had provoked his mother so badly.

The front doors banged open and voices began shouting and screaming. They looked up from their table just as the dining hall doors opened and there stood a distraught looking John Sr.

“Elizabeth...” he croaked

“No... don’t s-“

“Elizabeth…”

“NO!”

James was terrified. He had never seen his parents act like this before. “Papa what’s going on? What happened?”

John looked to his small son and choked out “There was an accident, James, your brother is dead.”

James’ eyes went wide and he barely noticed his mother’s piercing heart wrenching scream.
-------------------------------------------------------
Everyone stood shocked. ‘Was this it? Was this the horrible event in Logan’s past’ thought Marie. They all shared looks of horror and worry when their attention was zeroed in on the cry from the still form in front of them. Everyone stared at the horrible grief that had settled on the Wolverine.
Chapter End Notes:
review it inspires me! haha