Two thirty in the morning, on the back patio of Mutant High. The dark shadow that is Logan silently crosses to where Rogue sits on the cement, leaning against the wall, her knees raised in front of her, smoking.

“Hey, kid, smokin ain’t good for Hey, that’s no cigar.”

“It ain’t hay, either.”

“Geez, Rogue!”

“What?”

“This is a school.”

“What, you gonna tell on me?”

“Shit. Wheels is pretty lax, but…”

“You want some?”

Logan steps closer and stands with his feet on either side of hers.

“Um, I really can’t, um, condone the use of, ah…”

“Oh, jesus, Logan, I’m not taking advice on clean living from *you*. For god sakes, I’ve had you in my *head*, remember?”

“Right. I’ll cut the crap.” He squats down so his knees are on either side of hers, the crotch of his jeans hovering over her toes. He reaches for the offered joint and takes a slow drag. Holds in his breath as Rogue reclaims the joint and takes a hit herself.

“Well,” Logan says. “It’s nice to see you all nice and relaxed.” He rests his forearms on Rogue’s knees.

“Nice and relaxed. Yep, that’s me tonight. Hey, make yourself comfortable, there’s plenty of wall.”

He rises from his position and moves to sit next to her, shoulder to shoulder.



Three o’clock in the morning, in the kitchen of Mutant High. Two giggling figures (yes, both giggling) are silhouetted in the light of the open refrigerator door.

“Huh?” asks Logan.

“What?” says Rogue.

“No, really.”

“Huh?”

“I dunno.”

“Ah-HA!” Rogue turns from the fridge with a plate of brownies covered in plastic wrap. “Bingo!”

They sit at the kitchen table, chairs pulled close to each other, eating brownies and bumping against each other amiably.

Rogue leans toward him like she’s going to tell him a big secret. “You’re so freakin’ hairy,” she whispers, and bursts into giggles again.

Logan looks down at his forearm. “Wow, yeah. Hope you like fur.”

“You’re like some sort of woodland creature.”

“The Human Chipmunk!” He snorts and puts his hand over his mouth.

“Badger Boy!”

“The Big Bad Woof!”

Rogue lets out a squeal at that. “The wolf, with the… you know, he… and the teeth…” she collapses into a stream of laughter and is unable to talk through it.

“Uh-oh, crumbs,” says Logan, looking down at the floor. He slides off his chair, onto his knees on the floor, and begins running his hand over the linoleum, sweeping brownie crumbs into a little pile. “Can’t leave crumbs. No crumbs. Looks like a frickin’ chipmunk’s been here.”

Rogue slides off her chair laughing, grabs him by both wrists and pulls him away from the little pile of brownie crumbs.

“But the…”

“No. C’mon, Logie. We gotta go now.”

“My crumbs…”

“Huh?”

“What?”

“I dunno.”



Four thirty in the morning, in the livingroom of Mutant High. Rogue and Logan sit side-by-side on the enormous couch, staring at the television set.

With a low hum, Professor Charles Xavier’s chair rolls into the room, glinting in the dim light of the television. Rogue and Logan turn to look at him.

“Ah, good morning Logan, good morning Rogue. Is this a late night, or an early morning for you?”

The two on the couch look at each other. Rogue lets out a giggle. Logan puts a finger in front of his lips. “Shhhh.” He turns to the Professor again. “Uh, I dunno.”

The Professor tilts his head a little to the right.

“What are you watching, Logan?”

“Um… A movie.”

“What is the movie?”

He gestures toward the screen. Rogue slaps at his hand and snorts. “Uh, it’s the one with… with the kid. And the… the kid. Oh, and the sky is really big.”

“Yeah, it’s fuckin’ enormous!” Rogue blurts and Logan doubles over with laughter.

The Professor nods slowly. “Oh, I see. That one.” He sighs.

He turns his chair toward the kitchen, which had been his intended destination anyway. [Yes, a brownie or two, that’s what I’m craving. I’ll take those ones I had left over from dinner and go up to my room and read until I fall back to sleep]. When he sees the empty plate, crumpled plastic wrap, and pile of brownie crumbs on the floor, he stops in his tracks.

“Now, THAT is just uncalled for!” he bellows toward the living room.