Author's Chapter Notes:
Here we go, here we go. Second (rather short) chapter of this little story. Thank you a bunch for the encouraging reviews, they go straight to my heart!

Things get a little more defined as the decor is slowly planted... Mostly Logan POV...

Enjoy!!
He carried her limp body to his camper. How could someone so small and frail looking be so heavy? He had to be quick, they would give the alert anytime now and he’d find himself in one of those ‘cells’ he’d heard about even faster than he could spell out the word ‘mutant’. He knew now what she was, she was like him. Worse, she certainly was one of those the government kept in labs and made experiences on. How else could she have metal claws popping out of her hands? This kind of ‘mutation’ didn’t scream “natural!” to him. And the weird clothing, her dirty overall attire, and the simple fact that she was there in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere… It all added up to something, he was sure, but whatever it was, it couldn’t be good. He started the engine and drove like a mad man until he was sure none of those loons back at the bar could track him. He couldn’t take the risk of stopping for fuel and he just prayed that he could make it to the upper land with the little he still had in the tank. He spent most of the short day driving through the maze of back roads, caught between the low, snowy sky and the unsteady asphalt spread ahead of him.



The girl didn’t stir or move the whole time he drove. He figured he could use a little break and threw a quick look at the girl curled up in the passenger seat. She looked pretty out of it, and seemed to be cold as judging by the purple-blue aspect of her lips and fingertips as well as the unusual paleness of her skin. Shit! He’d been so caught up in his “let’s get the hell outta here” act that he hadn’t taken a close enough look at his passenger. He had to stop, at least if he wanted her to live through their escape. ‘Hold on, please hold on…’ he kept muttering more to himself than to her. He didn’t know why he was feeling this way, what triggered the worry in the first place; worry and concern for a stranger, a girl lost on the road; alone. But he felt it deep down in his bones, he had to do something for her, even if it was a little thing.




He parked the old camper near a snow covered clearing. He reached for the back grabbing as many covers as his arms could take and carefully wrapped one around the girl’s body. Leather clad hands took hold of her as tightly as they could through the voluminous material and drew her off the passenger seat to his lap. He wrapped another cover around her and secured her in his arms, ever mindful of the exposed skin of his face and throat. He knew there was a cabin not far from there a little deeper in the woods; one he used on his numerous trips along with the fight circuit. He could make it before nightfall if he walked fast enough. With his back pack hanging on his shoulders, and the girl in his arms, he felt like he was carrying the weight of the whole damn world. Each step he took brought him knee deep in the snow, making it almost impossible to progress at the pace he wanted. He had to leave something behind, and it sure as hell wouldn’t be the girl.He couldn't afford to leave the bag either. His eyes automatically dropped to the girl’s face half buried in his jacket. Shit… He had to be careful not to let her skin touch his; it could kill her.



It was the middle of the night when they finally made it to the cabin. It was further in the woods than what he had first thought, but it was for the better. The heavy, dark clouds in the low sky were a sign of a near snow storm. He still had some time to get some wood and make a good fire to warm up the place before it hit. The cabin was old but solid. The windows still had their glass panes, and the door remained closed when you secured it with its lock, they would be okay here. So he deposited the girl’s body on the wooden floor as gently as he could and ran out the door in search of a few dry branches. Fortunately enough, there was wood in the small storage at the back. He didn’t remember how long it had been there but it would have to do. He took an armful of it and ran back to the main room. A fire was warming up the place in no time. His life alone on the road was now showing quite useful; sometimes, being able to make a fire with almost nothing could save your life, he knew that from experience.

He got the girl closer to the fire. He had been there a few times when the money was hard to make and he couldn’t afford a motel room-not that there were many of those in the last towns the fight season- so he had left a few things for whenever he had to come back. He reached for a chest that rested in a far corner of the main room and took a few blankets from it. A trapdoor on the floor revealed a cave that held some canned food and other supplies. There was a small flight of stairs leading up to a kind of loft furnished with an old bed frame and mattress. He took them and settled them, not without some difficulty in the living area displaying the covers he took from the chest on it to make a bed for the girl. Once he did, he laid her down on it and stayed by her side, waiting for her to wake up.