Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own the X-men. All rights belong to Stan Lee, Marvel Comics, and whomever else owns rights. I have not nor will I receive any form of compensation for this story.

One more chapter to go. I've gotten on a roll, and just couldn't stop myself. ;)
Chapter 18


Logan carried Marie upstairs to her room, gently lowering her down on the bed. After seeing her off her feet. He went into the bathroom and started the water filling up the tub, before coming back into the room. “Take as long as you want, I‘ll be right here when you get out.”

“Thanks.” Rogue gave a small nodded with a tired sighed. The drugs were already out of her system, but the episode had left her drained mentally, emotionally, and physically even with her healing factor.

Rogue made her way into the bathroom and closed the door. Once settled into the tub of warm water, Rogue couldn’t stop the flood of tears. She sat in the tub, her arms wrapped around her drawn up knees and cried until she had no more tears. Ten minutes later she was finally able to finish her bath. Logan had a night gown laid out for her when she came out wrapped in her terry cloth robe.

Logan hated hearing Marie cry, but knew it was the best way for her to find a form of release. That however didn’t stop him from wanting to rushing in there with her so he could pull her against him, and hold on to her while she cried. Offering her his strength, his comfort. Knowing that wasn’t an option right now, he busied himself finding Marie something to sleep in, and arranging the bed for her to climb into once she was out.

“Logan it’s only twelve in the afternoon.” Rogue frowned at the night gown laid out on her bed.

“Don’t care, get dressed and get in bed.” Logan ordered pulling back the bed covers for her.

“I have to go get, James. It’s almost time for his lunch.” Rogue protested weakly.

“Don’t argue, Marie, I’ll go get James. When I get back, I want you in bed.” Logan said stepping over to her and kissing her head, then left to go get their son.

Rogue changed the gown, Logan had laid out for an open front gown. He hadn’t thought of the need for easy access for feeding James. Once she was dressed, she climbed in bed, and leaned back exhausted against the pillows, closing her eyes resting.

A few minutes later Rogue open her eyes when her door opened. Logan stepped inside carrying a fussy baby, a baby bag, and carrier. Dumping the carrier and baby bag on the floor, Logan brought James over to Rogue, who was already unbuttoning her top for their son to nurse. James wasted no time latching on to her breast, sucking as if he was starving.

Rogue once against leaned back into her pillows, closing her eyes, sighing exhausted. Feeling her bed shift she opened her eyes to see Logan sitting down beside them on the bed, a worried expression on his face. He picked up her free hand, caressing it.

Seeing Marie looking at him, Logan smiled at her, bring her hand up to his lips and kissing it, then making sure to kiss each finger. Showing her he wasn’t revolted or scared of her claws, just like she wasn’t his. “I love you, Marie.” The open honesty in his voice and in his eyes telling her he was being completely open and vulnerable to her, something he never been with anyone ever before. She couldn’t fathom how he could still love her after knowing what she had done, and what she was.

“How can you?” She asked her voice so honestly hesitate and disbelieving, it broke his heart that she thought herself unworthy of his love. When it was him who was the one unworthy of her.

“Just like you told me, Marie. You’re good. You’re a good woman. A wonderful woman, with a heart of gold. You’re kind, honorable, thoughtful, generous, loving, desirable, beautiful, breath taking. You’re a loving mother, a caring friend, and you’re my soul mate, Marie. That’s how.” His voice passionate in his reassurance.

“I love you too, Logan.” Rogue admitted finally believing Logan’s love was real and sincere. “I just wish I wasn’t so messed up. I’m no good for you. All I am is a burden, for you and everyone else.” Rogue sighed watery, but held her tears back for now.

“You’re not a burden, Marie, and you’re the best woman for me. I’m the one no good for you. I failed you. If I hadn’t have left, none of this would have happened to you. I’m sorry Marie, I’m so sorry.” Logan whispered, his gut twisting with the pain, knowing if he hadn’t left, his Marie would never had suffered the hell she had endured and was still suffering.

“It’s not your fault, Logan.” Rogue said squeezing his hand. She didn’t want him blaming himself for something that wasn’t his fault.

“I know you not ready for a sexual relationship, Marie, I’m not going to rush you, but I want you to move in with me, or let me move in with you. I want to be here for you in the middle of the night, incase you or James needs anything. I know I can’t feed him, but I can change him and rock him. Plus I can be here for you if you start having a nightmare. I love you, Marie, nothing is going to change that. I know this is to soon, but I want you to marry me. I want you and James to have my last name. I want us to be a family.” Logan said hopefully. His voice husky and lance with yearning. “Like I said, I’m not going to rush you, but I plan on keeping you, Darlin.” Logan said with a gentle smile, then leaned over and kissed the side of her head on her hair.

“I love you so much, Logan, and when the time is right, I’d love to be your wife.” Rogue whispered bring Logan’s hand up to her lips and kissing it, with love and happy tears in her eyes.

Logan smiled softly at the wonderful, and brave woman he loved with all his heart. He hadn’t believed it was possible for the loner known as the Wolverine to feel this much love for someone. Marie and James was his life, and he would do anything and everything to keep them safe and with him. He leaned over and pressed a kiss to Marie’s temple. “Let me hold you, Marie?” Logan asked, the need to hold his family in his arms was overpowering.

Marie gave him a tired, but warm and understand smile. She let his hand go, then scooted forward a little. Logan kicked off his boots and climbed on the bed behind her. Wrapping her and James in his embrace. Logan rested against Marie’s headboard, gently pulling Marie to lean back against him.

Logan watched over Marie’s shoulder as James hungrily nursed. Reaching down, Logan cradled James’s small head in the palm of his hand, caressing the silkily baby fine hair with his thumb. Still awed with knowing James was his, and with the gift of Marie’s love, Logan was completely at peace and contented for the first time that he could remember. “Love you, Marie. Both of you. You and James mean everything to me.” Logan whispered kissing Marie’s bare shoulder. There wasn’t anything sexual about the kiss, only giving her affection.

“We love you too, Logan. Always have, always will.” Marie whispered back squeezing Logan’s thigh affectionately, and letting out a peaceful sigh, finally feeling like there was hope for a future for them together.

As usual James had fallen asleep while nursing, Marie herself dozing against, Logan. Feeling completely surrounded by Logan’s warmth and hearing his strong heart beat, Marie felt completely safe in being lulled to sleep as well. Logan smiled at his sleeping family. He hated to wake Marie, but knew that James needed burping, he gently kissed her head, while starting to rouse her easily so not to startle her.

“Marie, Darlin?” Logan spoke softly.

“Mmm?”

“James has quit eating, shouldn’t we burp him?” Logan asked against her ear.

“Mm-hmm.” Marie answered softly, still not opening her eyes or moving.

Logan smirked. “Here Darlin, scoot up a little, and let me take him.”

“You don’t have to, I’ve got him.” Marie mumbled on a sleepy sigh finally moving, and shifting James to her shoulder.

“I know I don’t have too, Darlin, but I want too. Now scoot up a little.” Logan instructed again.

This time Marie did as he asked. Climbing out from behind her, Logan careful took James into his arms, placing him on his shoulder and rubbing his small back. Logan sat down in the rocker, and looked over at a droopy eye, Marie. “Lay back and close your eyes Darlin, go to sleep.” He instructed on a soft growl.

Marie smiled tired as she watched, Logan gently rock their son, while switching between rubbing James’s back and lightly tapping it. James finally gave his parents a decent burp, making Logan smirked amused.

Marie enjoyed watching Logan with James. She knew Logan and the Wolverine would make a wonderful father. He was so protective and caring with James. Feeling her mind growing drowsy and sluggish, she closed her eyes, and allowed for the much needed sleep to have her. Knowing her son was safe in his father’s arms.

Once Logan was sure both Marie and James were sound asleep, he gently laid James down in his basinet next to the bed. Needing to have a talk with a certain red head, Logan quietly replaced his boots, then called out to the Professor.

“Chuck, you busy?” Logan called silently with his mind.

“At the moment, Hank and I are having a discussion. What can I help you with, Logan? Is Rogue and James alright?” The Professor asked concerned, but not overly, not sensing any great concern or worry from Logan. If Rogue or James were in trouble, Charles was certain Logan would be more frantic.

“They’re fine Chuck, they’re both asleep right now. Can you have Yellow or Ro to come sit with them for a few minutes. I need to take care of some business. I’m not comfortable leaving them alone, not since Rogue’s recent nightmare.” Logan answered.

“Ororo has agreed to sit with them, and will be there momentarily.”

“Thanks Chuck.” Logan called back.

“You’re welcome, Logan, and Logan?” Charles’s tone held a bit of caution at then end.

“Yeah?” Logan asked wishing Chuck would hurry up and get out of his head. He really did hate communicating this way.

“I know you are planning on confronting, Jean. Please keep in mind that harming Jean will not solve the situation, or make Rogue happy. Right now it is important to keep harmony in Rogue’s life. Keeping her calm and feeling loved is more important that seeking revenge. I am watching Jean closely, and will take action to remove her from the mansion if she becomes a threat to Rogue or James.”

“I’m not just gonna sit around, and let her think she can get by with doing something like this again, Chuck. If it hadn’t been for her confronting Rogue, and putting her nose where it didn’t belong, last night wouldn’t have happened. I’m going to remind her who she’s dealing with, and warn her what will happen if she messes with my family.” Logan growled back inside his head, and out loud. Then flinched when he saw Marie shift from the noise. Listening to her breathing and steady heart rate, he relaxed knowing he hadn’t woken her.

“Give your warning, Logan, but do not do anything rash.” Charles stated seriously, then left Logan’s mind.

Logan smelt Ro’s scent, and opened the door before she could knock, waking either Marie or James.

“Thanks for coming, Ro.” Logan grunted softly.

“It is no trouble at all. How is she doing?” Ororo asked eyeing her sleeping friend from the doorway.

“Better, but she’s wiped out from last night. I’m hoping she’ll sleep for awhile, and that I’ll be back before she or James wakes up.”

“She needs you right now, Logan, more than she would want revenge on Jean. The Professor is right. Rogue needs to remain calm, and secure. Having you fighting with Jean will only upset her.”

“I know what I’m doing.” Logan said quietly, but firm, then left to go hunt for his prey.

Logan tracked her scent to the staff kitchen area. Along with her scent there was a mixture of grease, fuel, and an upset Scooter. Not letting Scooter’s presences deter him, Logan entered the kitchen to see Summer’s grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge.

Scott was gulping down the water thirstily when he looked up and spotted Logan coming into the kitchen. The two men shared a brief look, that told Scott to stick around. Knowing Logan was planning on warning Jean to keep her distance from Rogue and James, and that Logan wanted him to stick around as witness so Jean couldn’t cry foul play to the Professor. Scott leaned back against the counter drinking his water more slowly, and watching the scene before him.

Jean was sipping a cup of coffee, while reading the monthly Medical Journal when Scott entered the kitchen for something to drink. She debated whether she should try and talk some sense into him about Rogue, but she decided against it. She could tell that he wasn’t in the frame of mind to listen to anything she had to say. He was still babying Rogue, and wouldn’t be able see her manipulative ways until it was to late.

Sensing Logan coming their way, Jean figured now that he was back from wherever he had disappeared to last night, and having time to recognize Rogue for the little liar that she was, he’d be ready to crawl back to her. Sipping her coffee to hide her smug grin, at the thought of the mighty Wolverine crawling back to her. Although she had to plans of making it that easy on him to win her back. She was prepared to make him grovel a little before she let him back into her good graces and back into her bed.

Logan smelt Jean’s smug satisfaction, and arousal as he entered the kitchen. It made him sick to his stomach. He couldn’t believe he had ever been turned on by that scent. Now it only fueled his anger, but he held in the reins, knowing Chuck and Ro were right, that Marie needed to remain calm and feel secure. Having him tearing into Jean, wasn’t the way to secure keeping Marie happy and calm. No matter how much he may want to.

“Hello Logan, would you care to join me for lunch. I know after finding out about Rogue’s treachery concerning James, you must be devastated. I want you to know, that I’m willing to put the past behind us, and start over. I’m here for you.” Jean said in a soothing concern and caring tone that belied her feeling of victory.

Logan cocked his eyebrow at Jean like she had lost her marbles. Then his face eased into a smirk that Jean had always from irresistibly sexy. He stepped over to the table, bracing his hands on the tabletop, to lean toward Jean slowly.

Smiling pleased and seductively, she leaned closer thinking he was going to kiss her. Jean was glad that Scott had stuck around to see it.

Logan watched amused and pleased when Jean leaned closer to him. Her scent telling him, that she thought she had him. That he was trying to kiss her. ‘Boy for a telepath she sure is dense.’ Logan thought to himself. Stopping just inches from her lips, he tilted his head toward her ear before speaking in a low menacing tone, but loud enough for Scooter to hear clearly.

“You ever get near, Rogue or my son again, and I’ll forget that I ever cared about you, and that I don’t usually hit women. Understand sweetheart?” Logan snarled before pulling back, and straightening up while smirking at her shocked expression. A moment later the smirk was replaced with a snarl.
“This is my only warning, Jeannie. Next time, for ever drop of blood Rogue loses, I’ll make sure you repay tenfold.” Logan growled, then nodded at Scott. “Later Summers.”

“Tell Rogue, I’ll come check on her after her she’s rested.” Scott told Logan with his own smirk, at Jean’s still shocked pale expression. He walked toward the door after Logan, planning on going back to his bike.

“Will do.” Logan nodded then left the room, satisfied he gave Red fair warning.

Jean was still pale and shaking five minutes later, when Ororo found her still sitting in the kitchen. Her coffee cold and forgotten. It hadn’t been necessarily Logan’s words that had shaken her so much, although it had upset her. It was the vivid mental images he was projecting towards her that had frightened her so thoroughly.
In all her time with Logan, she had never fully recognized he actually had such a vicious feral side. He never showed that type of behavior before, not even when fighting against Sabertooth. However the images he had been projecting warned her that if she tried to hurt the Wolverine’s mate or cub, he would make sure to keep his promise.

“Jean, are you alright?” Ororo asked her once friend. Ororo might be upset with the other woman, but she had never seen Jean so pale or frightened before. She wondered just what Logan had said to her.

Jean looked up in Ororo’s direction for a moment, before her eyes going wide, and slapping a hand to covered her mouth as she dashed for the bathroom to vomit after she saw the last image Logan had sent to her. His menacing chuckle echoing in her mind.
Chapter End Notes:
Next comes the Epilogue. I hope you enjoy.