Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own the X-men. All rights belong to Stan Lee, Marvel Comics, and whomever else owns rights. I have not nor will I receive any form of compensation for this story.
Chapter 17

As morning broke, Logan finally let the past that haunted him go. He had a future with Marie and James. He wasn’t going to waste it. Climbing to his feet, he headed back to the mansion in search of his future. Logan stepped inside the kitchen door and frowned concerned at the tired and worried faces of Scooter and Ro. Their scents alerting him that something was wrong, that they were greatly concerned and worried.

“What’s wrong?” He asked his own concern growing afraid something had happened to Marie and or James.

“Rogue had another episode last night. Hank had to collar her.” Scott answered distressed with a heavy and weary sigh.

“Where is she? What about James?” Logan demanded frantic.

“James is alright, he’s with Jubilee. The Professor and Hank are with Rogue now in the med lab. This was one of the worse episodes in a long time. I thought after she had calmed down in the library she was alright. She seemed better.” Ororo stated confused to what could have triggered such a bad episode for Rogue.

“Logan did she act strange when she talked to you?” Ororo questioned him curious if he had noticed anything strange in Rogue’s behavior.

“No. I’ve got to go to her.” Logan answered paling with fear and pain knowing Marie was suffering because of him. He hurried out the room, needing to see her, to make sure she was alright.

“Something happened, I’m sure of it. Did you see his face?” Scott asked suspicious.

“Yes, but we don’t know what it could have been. You can’t blame Logan, Love, for this until we have proof.” Ororo chastened seriously, but softly. She knew Scott was very protective of Rogue.

“She clawed at Hank, Honey. She hasn’t done that since we first brought her home. It was like the beginning all over again.” Scott sighed upset running his hands through his already messy hair.

“I know Love, but she is going to be alright now. Hank got away in time before she could hurt him more seriously.” Ororo soothed, trying to comfort, Scott. He loved Rogue as his little sister, and it was tearing at him to see her like this, unable and unsure how to help her, as it was all of them.

“Thank goodness Jean wasn’t in there. If Jean says anything to Rogue about taking James, I’m afraid Rogue might try to kill her. Rogue doesn’t need that on her conscience too.” Scott hissed out still angry at Jean for upsetting Rogue.

“Let us hope not.” Ororo agreed with a deep and worried frown, afraid what would happen if Jean ever went so far as to try and remove James from Rogue.

Logan stormed into the medlab to the be assaulted by the smell and sight of Marie’s blood splattered everywhere.

“Logan, please you need to wait outside.” Hank tried to block Logan’s view of Rogue.

“Get out of my way, Blue.” Logan growl, shoving Hank out of his way to stop dead in his tracks again, this time to stare at Marie’s hands. Five, nine inch long adamantium claws were extended from her fingers on both hands, dripping blood. Logan stared in horror as he took in Marie’s form. She was covered in blood. She had bandages on her neck and wrist. Charles was at her head with his eyes closed, a deep look of concentration on his face as he worked with her.

“Logan.” Hank called softly grabbing Logan’s attention.

“What happened to her?” Logan crocked out still in shock at seeing his Marie like this. He knew she had more powers now, but she hadn’t said anything having claws.

“Last night, she had a nightmare of Sabertooth raping her. When we reached her she was trying to kill herself, but she only kept healing. I tried to talk to her. Calm her down, but she was still to involved with the dream. She believed I was Sabertooth, and attacked me. Luckily we calmed her enough to be able to collar her before she attacked anyone else. We had thought that she had calmed down once she had awaken. Charles and I stepped out to converse, when we came back she had tried to kill herself once more. With the collar on, it stops her healing, so once she extracted her claws and started cutting herself we had to drug her. I’ve managed to stop all the major blood flow, but right now she is unable to retract her claws, so they are still bleeding.”

“Remove the collar so she can heal.” Logan demanded angered that they still had her collared, allowing her to continue to bleed.

Hank frowned distressed. “I’m afraid that we cannot, not until we are sure she is the one in control mentally. The first time this happened, it was Sabertooth in control trying to torture her.” Hank informed Logan with a deep sad expression.

“This has happened before?” Logan asked shocked and upset, looking at all the blood and his delicate Marie. There was so much blood that he could literally taste it in the air. The sight and scent of Marie’s blood sent the Wolverine into a rage. Logan had to restrain himself from tearing up the room. He knew he had to be calm for Marie now. She needed him.

“It was when we first brought her home. It was one of the first episodes.” Hank explained then frowned confused. “I just don’t understand. She has been doing so well. She hasn’t had anything close to this magnitude since the beginning. Do you have any clue what could have trigger this?” Hank asked curious, hoping Logan could shed some light on the situation.

“Jean confronted Rogue about Sabertooth being James’s father.” Logan growled out upset thinking this wouldn’t have happened if it hadn’t been for Jean.

“Yes, I was informed of that, and I must say I was very angered and distressed to find out. It is very possible thinking of that time could have triggered the nightmare. Let me reassure you Logan. James is your son. I tested him, and you came out 99.7% positive on the paternal test.”

“I know Hank, I know he’s mine. I have no doubts. But Hank, you should know that Rogue told me about Sabertooth, Stryker, Kayla, and my past. It’s most likely what caused some of this.” Logan frowned upset that Marie had suffered so much pain, and was continuing to suffer because of him.

“Oh dear, I believe you are right. I had warned her to wait until she was more stable. She wanted to tell you as soon as possible, but it was to soon in her recovery to risk it. I guess she felt it was necessary with Jean’s accusation about Sabertooth. The poor dear.” Hank said truly distressed at all his friend was suffering.

“What is Chuck doing?” Logan growled out wanting to rush over to Marie, but scared to hurt her or interfere with whatever Chuck was doing to help her.

“He is strengthening Rogue’s natural barriers. Usually she is strong enough to contain the voices, but at times like these she is weakened. Once he is finished, we will remove the collar so she can heal. However I must warn you, she could still lash out when she first wakes up. Mostly she will be distressed. The poor dear, she has suffered much, and is still suffering. I do hope Jean stays clear of Rogue, and I must say myself right now, knowing that she broke into my private office, and into my personal cabinet is very upsetting.”

“She better stay away from me. Rouge is the least of her worries. She goes near Rogue or James again, and she’s mine.” Logan snarled out threatening.

“Hank.” Charles called sounding tired, gaining the Hank and Logan’s attention.

Logan and Hank turned back to Xavier.

“I believe it is safe to remove the collar.” Charles said then looked to Logan. “Logan perhaps it would be helpful if you were the first person she saw when she awoke.”

“Got it.” Logan said stepping up beside Marie’s bed and caressed her face tenderly.

“Be careful of her skin when the collar if first removed, Logan. She is not in control of her skin.” Hank advised.

Logan nodded, before putting his hand on her hair where it was safe.

“Okay, here we go.” Hank said unlocking the collar and slipping it free from Rogue’s neck.

Hank removed the bandage on her neck and they all watched as the wounds healed and the stitches were kicked out of her healed skin. A few minutes later, Rogue groaned and started to stir.

“Hey Darlin, come on now and wake up. I want to see those beautiful eyes of yours.” Logan spoke softly so not to startle her. “Come on, open those gorgeous eyes for me.”

Rogue groaned again and slowly blinked her eyes opened then closed them again. She started to lift her hand, but Logan caught it by her covered wrist.

“Whoa there Darlin, you’ve got to put the claws back in first.” He said causing Rogue’s eyes to jerk open. She looked confused at him, then at her hands, claws out. She quickly jerked her head around the room, seeing she was in the medlab, and the room was splattered in blood.

“James?” She questioned frantic. Her eyes wide, filled with terror.

“He’s just fine Darlin, calm down. He’s with Yellow.”

She sighed relieved closing her eyes, but quickly opened them again to search for Hank. “Hank?” Rogue called out frantic once again.

“Right here, my dear. All is well. You are alright.” Hank tried to assure her.

“Hank, did I hurt you? I smell your blood.” Rogue asked upset as she searched him for harm.

“Nothing to fret over, just a few scratches.” Hank assured with a compassionate smile.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Hank.” Rogue said a sob escaping her throat.

“Hey now, Darlin, it’s okay. Big Blue is just fine, right Hank?” Logan soothed quickly trying to comfort her, caressing her head, unsure if it was safe to touch her skin. Another shock was the last thing she needed right now.

“Correct, I am quite well. Seriously nothing to it.” Hank smiled sincerely.

“Are you sure, don’t lie to me, Hank.” Rogue asked needing to make sure.

“I would not lie to you, my friend. I am quite well. But how are you? That is what we want to know?”

“Yeah Darlin, you’re our main concern.” Logan said worried about her.

“I was having a nightmare about Sabertooth. I just wanted to die. He kept hurting me and hurting me. I tried to make him stop him, but I couldn’t. The only way to stop him was to kill myself. I’m sorry everyone. I know I’m causing everyone so much trouble. I wish I could just stop it.” Rogue said sobbing again.

“It’s alright Darlin, everything is going to be alright. Shh, I love you, I’m going to take care of you.” Logan said tears in his own eyes at her pain.

“How can you? I’m a horrible person, I kill everything good and decent. I’m nothing but a monster.”

“STOP IT! Don’t let me hear that nonsense out of your mouth again. Do you hear me?” Logan barked upset. “You are not a monster. You are a wonderful woman and mother. We’re going to help you get better. I promise Darlin, you’re going to get better.” Logan declared not leaving room for doubt as he pulled her up, and against his chest hugging her close. “Come on, let’s get you upstairs and changed.” Logan swept Marie up in his arms, carrying her from the med lab up to her room, leaving the other men in the lab, touched by the feral Wolverine’s declaration of love and determination to take care of Rogue.