“Move your ass!” Last time I let Ororo program a scenario. She did this on purpose, I’m sure of it. This is payback from what happened. Reminder of what will happen to dirty old men who dare to lay their hands on little girls. She put Magneto in here, for Christ sakes! Old geezer hasn’t noticed me yet, and kids are trying to keep him busy enough, to buy me time to cook up a plan to get rid of him. Fuck. Marie is on my left. We should find a way for her to get close enough to drain Eric. Only way to keep him from making me a pretzel. This doesn’t look good. No matter what the team throws at him, he just shrugs it off and keeps going. Like a fucking energizer bunny. And from that I know this must be a payback. Real Magneto would have been down already.

“How do we do this?” She asks, inching closer. She is scared. Well, so am I.
“I don’t have a clue. I thought Iceman could keep him down long enough for you to get closer, but looks like Storm gave Magneto some extra powers.” Speaking of the devil… She swoops in and lands between us.
“What are you waiting for? Shouldn’t you fight as a team?” She asks, pointing to the battlefield where kids are trying to subdue the monster she created. I have a snappy retort ready, but Marie beats me to it.
“Fuck off, Weathergirl! You’re not the team leader!” Then she turns her full attention to me.
“I have an idea.”

“I’ll be careful. I try not to take too much,” she says, peeling off her gloves. Careful? Not too much? She’s fucking going to get hurt if she doesn’t get enough! I grasp her hands to mine. It burns. Like I was holding hot coals. For a moment I can see everything double, from my point of view, and her point of view. That burning feeling is crawling up my veins, getting closer to my heart. Have to let go now. Won’t be much use for her later if she needs a refill. She’s leaving, climbing over the hood of the car.
“Kid…” she turns to look at me. She’s angry. Should really stop calling her that.
“Go kick some ass.”

I didn’t see it, but Ororo had a ringside seat. Marie had charged head on to the bucket head, and had practically torn him a part with bare hands, before he even had the time to realize what was happening. That’s my kind of girl. Went to congratulate her after it was over. She nearly ate my head.
“I can be mature and behave during missions. That’s why I have to deal with you in combat class. What I don’t have to do is to deal with you outside of DR!”
“This would be so much easier if I knew what I have done to make you hate me this much.”
“You don’t know? You don’t fucking know? Do I have to draw a picture for you?” She huffed, disbelieving look on her face.
“Please, do. And no puzzles anymore. Something clear, so that even I can understand it.”
“Fine. I love you, Logan.” Okay… And that was a bad thing because…?
“I love you, too, Kid.” And that was something I didn’t confess every day. It didn’t help. She looked at me like I just crawled from under a rock. Something sticky and slimy she would have to scrape off from the sole of her shoe.
“Right. I fucking knew that!” She grimaced and stomped off. Locker room door slammed shut behind her, and I could hear her locking it.

So. At least I knew now we loved each other. And that for some reason she hated me because of it. But that’s one thing I can’t do for her. I can’t stop loving her. I won’t. She’s all I have left. Bright spark smack dab middle of me. Where Jean had been bright flare, nearly eating me alive, she was more constructive kind, radiating light and warmth constantly. She was the one kicking me up in mornings. She kept me going through the day. She tucked me in when night fell. She was in my dreams. Make it stop? Impossible. And she should have known that already. She had taken two hits from me. Two hits of my life. My powers and feelings.

“Marie?”
“Fuck off!” Was she crying?
“Come on… Let me in. Please?” Yeah. Crying. That was a sniffle I heard from the other side of the door.
“Leave me alone!”
“Not until we settle this thing. Let me in.” Uh-huh… That was a growl. I hoped there were no sharp objects lying around in there.
“There’s nothing to settle! Just stay away from me!” Nope. Can’t do that, sorry, darling.
“Eventually you have to come out. I’ll just wait here…” I slid to floor, next to the locker room door. Ororo and other kids had already left, so I could light a cigar. Eventually she had to come out. I had the time to wait. Hadn’t counted in Kurt. I heard a bamf, and scent of sulphur wafted from under the door. Fuck. I was going to strangle him with his own tail next time I saw him.