Author's Chapter Notes:
I had fun writing this one. So far, this is the funnest story ive written, and I hope it keeps turning out well. It jumps a little, but oh well :P Hope you Enjoy!
They drove for about ten more minutes, not really saying anything to each other, but the awkwardness was gone now. There was just nothing important enough to say. Marie kept her gaze out the window, watching as they came up to a small town. Buildings and shops went by, and the town’s people seemed to be just starting their days. Seemed quaint. Logan pulled off to the side, and turned into a small parking lot.

“Here” he announced. Marie looked up to see a small wooden building with a Canadian flag hanging just above the door, and the name NELLIES written in silly green letters on top. They found a parking spot and Logan got out of the truck. Marie struggled with her seatbelt. Logan walked over to her side.

“Kid, you alright?”

“I’m stuck.” He opened the door, and reached over her. He punched the seatbelt a few times, and it came undone.

“That one sticks sometimes.”

“Oh.” Marie got out of the truck, and closed the door behind her.

“They have really good pancakes here. Ya like pancakes?” She looked at the building again.

“Yeah. I like pancakes.” He smiled. They walked over to the door. Logan opened it, walked in, and let it close. Onto Marie. She considered saying something, but he was taking her for breakfast, and she didn’t want to mess that up. She was starving. She opened it, and walked inside.

The interior looked old, but clean, and it smelled strongly of maple syrup and breakfast sausages. Marie heard her stomach gurgle in anticipation. There were about fifteen wooden tables spread out all along the dining room, and a chandelier made of antlers hanging from the ceiling. Very redneck. A short woman with tall hair and way too much makeup came out from the kitchen and walked over to them.

“Logan! It’s been awhile” she said, in what seemed to be a jersey accent. She looked up at Marie. “Oh, you’re pretty.” She turned to Logan. “Who’s your friend?”

“She’s a stow away. I’m just givin’ her a ride.” He looked down at her. She didn’t like being called a stow away... It made her feel stupid.

“My name’s Marie” she cut in. The woman looked her up and down, then back to Logan.

“Just the two of ya?” she asked.

“Yeah.” She grabbed two menus from the counter next to them, and led them through the dining room. The floor was hardwood, the waitress’ heels clicked loudly against it. They reached a table in the far corner, and she put down their menus. Logan sat and opened one, seemingly looking at the pictures rather than reading it. Marie pulled out her chair, and sat. It was a wooden chair with a flat bottom, and it felt a little uncomfortable, but she just ignored it. The waitress loomed over them, and pulled out a little note pad.

“Coffee to start?” she asked.

“Yeah, black” Logan responded, not even bothering to look up at her. The waitress jotted it down, and turned to Marie.

“And you dear?”

“Oh. Just an orange juice is fine. Thanks.” She jotted it, and walked away, leaving Logan and Marie alone. Logan was much too involved in his menu, so Marie didn’t even bother asking him about the waitress. She picked up her menu, and began to read.

Most of the food looked greasy, but it was the kind of greasy that you crave. She looked the menu up and down, inspecting each and every item. Pancakes, sausages, eggs, toast. Obviously an all day breakfast place. Everything looked delicious.

“Her name is Daisy.” Marie looked up from her menu. Logan was looking straight at her, his menu down on the table.

“Huh?”

“You seemed a little freaked out by her. She’s a little up front about things, but she’s a nice gal.” They looked at each other, in silence for a second. “Know what you want yet?” Marie looked back at the menu.

“Not sure. Do I have a price limit?” She looked back up at Logan. He had his head rested in his hand, looking over at Daisy.

“Nah, just get whatever ya want.” Marie looked down at the menu again.

“Why do they call you the Wolverine?” The entire room slowly grew quiet. She put her menu down, and looked up at Logan. He had his eyes fixated on hers, a very angry glare in them. She looked around. All eyes were on her.

“Don’t ask that again.” Marie went quiet. Nobody moved for a second or two, then the whispering began. Daisy returned with their drinks. She placed them down on the table and smiled. Her teeth were obviously whitened.

“You folks decide yet?” Logan grunted and handed her his menu.

“The usual.” He glared back at Marie. His eyes seemed irritated. Everyone was still whispering, and sending her strange looks.

“And you, dear?” Marie looked up at her. Daisy seemed oblivious to what had just happened.

“Can I just get the short stack?” Daisy scribbled it down, and walked away with their menus. Logan took a sip of his coffee, and sat back into the chair, avoiding eye contact.

Marie eyed her orange juice. Beads of condensation had formed along the side of the plastic glass, and the pulp was beginning to settle on the bottom. She looked up at Logan. He stared out into the room, watching the people talk quietly. His face seemed upset, but his eyes were angry. He looked back at her.

“Why are ya starin’ at me?”

“I just-” He pushed himself up.

“I’ll be in the can.” He walked to the other side of the restaurant and into the washroom. Marie sat alone. She took a sip of her orange juice, and leaned back onto the wooden chair. Why had that been such a big issue?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The orange juice was gone, and Daisy was on her way with the food. She placed the plates down on the table.

“Where’d short, dark and handsome go?”

“He’s in the bathroom.” Marie looked at the pancakes in front of her. Slightly burned edges, but considering how hungry she was, they looked like gold. She removed her gloves, reached for the syrup, and drizzled it on. Daisy walked away, leaving Marie alone again. She practically inhaled her pancakes, and by the time she was on the last one, Logan emerged from the bathroom. He walked over and sat down, the chair creaking under his weight.

“Sorry...” he muttered under his breath. He looked genuinely upset now, no anger left.

“I’m sorry too.” She waited for a response, but he simply picked up his fork, and began to eat. He was a sloppy eater, making noises and groaning, stuffing too much in his mouth at a time. Marie pushed her pancake away, having lost her appetite.

Logan looked up from the mess on his plate. “You gunna eat that?” he asked through his full mouth. Marie stared at it for a second. It had grown cold anyways.

“Go ahead.” Logan nodded and stabbed it with his fork. He attempted to stuff the whole thing in his mouth, but it fell into pieces and back onto the plate. Marie looked away from him, feeling queasy. She couldn’t fathom how he could just ignore the events of just minutes earlier. The sounds of his mouth smacking, along with the overexposure to maple and burnt pancakes was beginning to get to her.

“I’ll be right back.” He nodded, and continued to stuff his face. She stood from the seat, pushed it in, grabbed her gloves and walked to the door.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The winter air was crisp and fresh. Each breath would plume out of her nose in little clouds before disappearing. She put her hands into her pockets, although she was already wearing gloves. It was more a reflex than anything. She looked around her, seeing old looking buildings, and some stragglers heading towards what looked like a church. She found a bench just around the corner, and she sat.

The light of the morning against the snow burned her eyes, but she stared into the distance either way. The trees behind the restaurant were draped in snow, and they seemed to stretch on for miles. She watched as the light breeze swayed them slowly, the snow brushing off in tufts every once in awhile. She put her face in her hands.

“What am I doing here?” she asked into her palms. The leather was cold against her face. She leaned back against the bench, and stared into the trees again. They were really beautiful. A deer walked slowly into the clearing and stared right at her. It was small, probably still a baby. It stood, frozen for a moment, before hopping away.

“Pretty, ain’t they?” Marie turned quickly to see Logan standing next to the bench. He had a little syrup on his shirt.

“Yeah. I’ve never seen one that close before.”

“Out here, they sometimes walk right up to ya. I’ve pet a few.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. And they make really great burgers.” Marie felt her stomach turn.

“You...EAT...deer?” Logan looked down at her.

“Yeah. Out here, eatin’ watcha caught yerself is better than any take out.” She just stared at him. “You never gone huntin’?”

“Nope. And I don’t think I want to...” Logan reached into his pocket, and pulled out his keys.

“Suit yerself.” He turned and walked towards the truck. She ran after him, still thinking about eating a deer. How awful!

They got to the truck, and Logan unlocked it. The door creaked when she opened it. She hadn’t noticed that before. She hopped in, and did up her seat belt.

“So... Have ya decided on a place ta go yet?” He turned the key, and the truck let out a low rumble.

“Train station still.” He turned to look at her.

“Where’ll ya go?”

“Not sure.” She looked down at her hands.

“Alright.” The truck lurched forward, and they sped off down the road.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“So why’dja run away?”

“My parents...”

“What, they kicked ya out?” Marie contemplated an answer. She didn’t want to seem weak or desperate.

“No, I ran away.” They grew quiet for a while. The smell of the truck seemed better now that it was overpowered by the maple all over Logan. The sound of the radiator filled the empty space, and it almost seemed serene. Marie found herself looking out the window again. The town had disappeared. They sped across the wilderness in silence. Logan pulled a cigar and lit it. The smell wafted around her, but she really didn’t mind. She was too concerned whether she should go east or south. A small town appeared in the distance.

“There are a lot of towns around here, huh?” Logan simply nodded. They slowed down, and after a few turns, they reached a small platform.

“This is it.” Marie stared out at it. There were about ten people standing around, and they all looked like they were up to no good. Marie looked back to Logan.

“Thanks for the breakfast. And the ride.” He didn’t respond. He was good at that. She stepped out of the truck, and walk towards the train station. Who was she kidding? She didn’t have money for a ticket. She dragged her feet along the ground, moving as slowly as possible. She listened as the truck began to drive away into the distance. Again, she was alone. She turned to see that the truck was gone. She walked over to the train station, and stood as far away from everyone else as possible.

She looked out over the platform. The tracks stretched on for miles, before disappearing into the snowy ground. She sighed, and began to pace. She paced when she was nervous. Where was she going. Who was she kidding, she couldn’t fend for herself. If it wasn’t for her mutation she’d probably be dead. But if it wasn’t for her mutation, she’d be at home, safe with her family. She leaned against the wall, and closed her eyes.

She waited for about ten minutes, then the train pulled in. Maybe she could sneak on? She walked up to the door of it. She didn’t know where it was going. She took a deep breath, and stepped on.

“MARIE!!”

She stopped. Did someone call her name? She turned to see a short man running towards the train. He had something in his hands.

“Logan?” He ran up to her, panting. She stepped down from the train. He lifted his hand. A small leather pouch hung from his fist.

“There’s some food” he panted “and fifty bucks in there.” Marie took the bag from him.

“Oh, Logan. I don’t know what to say.” She smiled at him. It touched her that he would do such a thing. He grinned at her.

“Well... Bye then.”

“Bye.” She turned to walk back onto the train.

“Maybe I could drive you.” Marie turned again.

“What?” Logan looked down at his feet, almost regretting what he was saying.

“I just... I don’t feel right just lettin’ ya take the train ta nowhere.” He gathered his thoughts. Marie simply stared at him. “Ya can stay with me if ya wanna.” Marie stood, not saying anything.

“ALL ABOARD!” the conductor called from the back car. Marie looked over to him, then back to Logan. She stepped off the train.

“I’d love to.” Logan smiled.

“If ya don’t feel comfortable sleepin’ in my truck, I can rent us a hotel room.” Marie stared into his eyes. There was the compassion she had been waiting for.

“I’m fine in the truck.” Logan smiled, and walked back towards the parking lot. Marie didn’t move.

Logan turned to look at her. “Ya comin’?” She looked at him, then back to the train.

“Yeah, wait up!” she called. She ran after Logan as the train blew its whistle and began to speed off into the distance.
Chapter End Notes:
Please rate and comment!