Author's Chapter Notes:
Its fun creating their emotions!
Marie sat fully exposed to the freezing weather. There was a small tarp that covered the bike, but all it really did was keep the wind off. They had been driving for awhile now, and the sun was beginning to rise. She looked back towards the landscape. Snow covered trees mostly, with the sun peeking out behind them, reflecting off the snow on the ground, practically blinding her. She started thinking to herself... What would happen if the Wolverine didn’t want her here? Would he kill her?

Her toes and fingers felt numb, and inhaling had become quite the job. Each breath froze her lungs, and she would begin to cough from time to time, but she did her best to keep it quiet. The road was filled with bumps, and she often found it hard to keep her balance, even while sitting. The more she thought about it, the more she regretted hopping in the back of this strange man’s truck. But it was better than going back to Bear’s house.

She thought back. What was this, the second month away from home? She couldn’t even remember anymore. After she had absorbed Cody back in Mississippi everything became a jumble. She couldn’t tell which memories were really hers, and which were Cody’s.

The cold was making its way deeper into her. Her long trench coat really wasn’t made for such cold weather. In an effort to stay warmer, she adjusted her position, only to slip and hit her arm against the bike. The tin sound echoed around her. Then the truck began to slow down.

“Oh God” she thought to herself. She was found, and she would be in big trouble. She frantically looked around for a hiding place. The truck stopped, and the sound of the door opening sent shivers down her spine. The only thing near was the tarp. She grabbed it and thrust it over her freezing body, trying not to move.

From within she could see his shadow walking past. She held her breath, trying not to make any noise. She watched in horror as the silhouette above her stopped and began to sniff the air. Why on earth would he be sniffing? He didn’t move for a second, then she noticed his head look down. She felt a tap on her side. A gust of fear took over her. The tarp was quickly removed, and a very angry looking man stared her down, a large cigar hanging from his mouth.

“What the hell are you doin’?” he asked sternly. Marie looked him in the eye in hope of even a glint of compassion. She saw nothing.

“I’m sorry. I needed a ride” she started nervously. “I thought you might help me.”

“Get out.” He gestured to the road. Marie raised herself up and over the side of the wooden trailer. Again, she looked around. She had no clue where she was.

“Where am I supposed to go?” she asked. He looked away from her.

“I don’t know” he replied.

“You don’t know? Or you don’t care?”

“Pick one.” She could hear the irritation in his voice. He turned and began to walk towards the truck again. She began to panic. She didn’t want to be left here alone to die.

“I saved your life!” she called out. Maybe she could make him feel guilty.

“No you didn’t” he called back. He hopped in the truck, close the door, and began to drive off. Marie looked down to the frozen ground. She felt too defeated to even cry. She looked back up and watched as the truck made its way down the road, spewing out blue smoke as it went. Had it really been worth it to run away? She didn’t know any more. She felt like the cold was beginning to play with her mind. All these terrible thoughts were beginning to crowd her thinking. She was even starting to see things. It looked as though the truck had stopped.

She rubbed her eyes. It was still sitting there. It had stopped! She began to run towards it, hoping she could try again to convince him to give her a ride, maybe to a train station? She reached the truck, and opened the door slowly. The Wolverine sat still looking forward, the cigar still hanging from his mouth.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“Get in” he said, almost emotionless. Marie just stood there for a moment. “Get in before I change my mind!” Marie hopped up and closed the door.

“Thank you so much!” she began.

“Don’t mention it.”

“I really mean it, I am so lost I-”

“DON’T mention it...” His voice was stern. Marie strapped her seatbelt on, and sat looking forward. He switched the gears, and they began to move. The first thing Marie noticed was the smell. The whole truck smelled like smoke, deli meats and unwashed laundry. It was nauseating. She tried to breathe shallower, but it only made it worse.

They drove for awhile in silence. Marie could feel her fingers again, but she could also feel her stomach. She hadn’t eaten yet. It was a sort of a churning feeling, but the sound of the truck muffled any gurgles she might have made. She looked out the windows. Snow. And trees. And more snow. She took a deep, bored breath. A terrible idea. She could taste the air, and she almost gagged. She just couldn’t seem to get used to the smell.

“So...” The Wolverine began, awkwardly, breaking the silence. “Where are ya from?” Marie looked at him. He was still focused on the road, but his face seemed softer now, like he genuinely cared... Almost.

“Mississippi.” He cocked his head, but still didn’t look at her.

“Wow. That is far.” The small talk was painfully awkward. They sat in silence for a minute longer, until she almost couldn’t contain herself.

“Can we open a window?” she asked. This time he looked at her. His face looked puzzled.

“Aren’t ya freezin’?” Truthfully, she was. But if she didn’t get fresh air soon, she would lose what little was left in her stomach.

“No, I’m boiling” she lied. He looked back to the road.

“Go ahead.” She searched the door for the window knob frantically, and when she found it she rolled it down as quickly as she could. The freezing air burned against her face, but she stuck her head out the window anyways. She took a deep, long, painful breath, then pulled her head inside and rolled up the window.

“You don’t have anything to eat, do you?” He looked up, as though he was thinking. She watched his face as it scrunched up, trying to gather whatever information he was trying to remember. Without talking, he reached over to the glove compartment in front of him, and pulled out an already opened packet of beef jerky.

Marie stared it down greedily, and he dropped it down onto her lap. In an instant she had her gloves off, and she was rummaging through the bag, desperately searching for food. She grabbed a handful of the dried meat and shoved it into her mouth, chewed twice, and swallowed. The feeling of solid food felt wonderful. In a few seconds the food was gone.

She looked back at the Wolverine. He was looking at her as though she had just killed something. To try to break the awkwardness, she decided it was time to introduce herself, but not as Marie. She didn’t want this to end up like Bear had, and him actually know her name. That could be dangerous, although driving in a car with a perfect stranger with no idea of your destination could be classified as dangerous as well.

“I’m Rogue” she announced quietly. She waited for a response. Nothing. It became very awkward very quickly. She looked around for conversation ideas. She noticed he was wearing a single dog tag.

“Were you in the army?” she asked. He looked at her, then back to the road. “Doesn’t that mean you were in the army?” She gestured towards the dog tag. He simply lifted it and dropped it into his shirt. Must be a touchy subject. She decided to drop it.

Becoming a little more comfortable, she began to survey the inside of the truck. The dashboard had coffee and beer stains all along it, and there were a few bottles on the floor. She turned to look into the back. There were clothes hanging from the ceiling, and different pots and pans everywhere. He obviously lived in this truck.

“Whoa...”

“What?” he asked. She had meant for that to be an internal thought. Without really thinking, she responded.

“It’s just; suddenly my life doesn’t look that bad.” He suddenly went on the defensive.

“Hey, if you’d prefer the road, I-” she cut him off frantically.

“NO!” She thought of a way to dig herself out of this hole. “It looks great...” He didn’t look like he bought it. “Looks cozy.” He kept his eyes on the road. He seemed a bit like a lost cause. Marie looked back out the window, and watched the snow go rushing by. Instinctively, she began to rub her hands together. She heard a click from behind her, and turned to see his hands about an inch from hers.

“Here, put your hands on the heater” he suggested. She pulled away quickly, half for the fact she had no gloves on, and half for the fact that she was a little paranoid after the whole Bear thing. He gave her a funny look. “I’m not gunna hurt ya, kid’ he reassured her. She reached for her gloves and slipped them on.

“It’s nothing personal” she tried to explain. “It’s just when people touch my skin, something happens.” His face remained confused.

“What?” She thought for a second.

“I don’t know” she admitted. She thought back to Bear, and Cody. “They just get hurt.” He looked back to the road.

“Fair enough.” Again they went silent. Marie found herself wandering again. She looked directly at his knuckles.

“When they come out... does it hurt?” He took a deep breath. The silence returned, and The Wolverine closed his eyes. He was thinking. Marie sat quietly, almost not expecting an answer.

“Every time” he replied quietly. She looked back out the window. “So, what kind of a name is Rogue?” he asked. She turned to face him.

“I dunno... What kind of a name is Wolverine?” He paused for a second, as though he was thinking.

“My names Logan.” Marie felt almost honoured that he admitted this. He didn’t seem like the type to announce his name to the world. She felt like she owed him.

“Marie.” He smiled at her.

“So, where am I taking you?”

“Is there a train station around here?”

“To go back to Michigan?”

“Mississippi” she corrected. “And no. I’m not sure where I’m going.”

“What are you a run away?”

“I guess you could say that.” They grew quiet for a moment. Logan looked down at the clock on the dashboard. It read 10 A.M.

“You still hungry?” Marie looked back up at him.

“Starving. Do you have more food?”

“No, but how’s about a nice breakfast. I know a great place just north of here.” Marie looked out the window.

“I don’t have any money...” She felt almost embarrassed. She looked back at him. “You know, you should really wear your seatbelt.”

“Look kid...” he muttered. “I don’t need auto safety advice from a little girl.”

“I’m seventeen!” she blurted out, trying to defend herself.

“Exactly... And I’ll pay for you.” He smiled at her, and turned back towards the road.

“Thanks” she muttered.
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed that! Don't forget to rate and comment!