Story Notes:
I got this idea when writing a different fic, then deciding it was dumb. Its my own interpretation of X-men the movie
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter was fun to write. Hope you enjoy!
The truck stopped short alongside the gas station. A small nudge to her side awoke her from the light sleep she was trying to enjoy. It was the first real sleep she had gotten in days. She opened her eyes and looked around. It was dark out, with thick snow draped over everything. Steam rose from the fender of the truck, and it gave off an oily scent that burned her nose. She looked down to the driver, who had generously given her a ride from Edmonton. He had a soft face, but a stern look in his eye.

“I thought you were gunna take me as far as Laughlin City.” He gave her a strange look.

“This is Laughlin City.” Marie looked out the door to the dirty landscape. She stepped out of the truck slowly, and stepped into a puddle of freezing water. She gasped and stepped out of it.

“You’re not from around here, are you?”

“I’m from Mississippi, actually.” He eyed her up and down, getting his first decent look at her since he picked her up earlier that day.

“I’d watch out if I were you” he warned. “A pretty little girl like you is a mighty fine target to some pretty bad people.” She looked down at her gloved hands and grinned.

“I’m sure I’ll be fine. Thank you for the ride.” He nodded, and walked over to the other side of the truck. Marie looked at her watch. It read 1 A.M. Much too late for anything to be open. She looked left and right, trying to scope out the landscape, and maybe find a place to stay. Her toes had grown numb already, and the smell of gasoline surrounded her like a cloud. So far, this town was awful. She walked over towards the gas station.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The door was heavy, but once inside she found that it was warm. There were three small aisles in the middle of the store, a long cooler on the back wall, and a small desk with a cash register near the door. She walked over to the first aisle and looked down at its contents. Mostly candy and chocolate bars. She reached into her pocket and pulled out what little change she had. She counted it slowly. Seventy eight cents. She wasn’t getting anything. She walked over to the counter and stood there for a moment,

“Hello?” she called out. From the back room she heard something move, then the sound of glass breaking, then a burly man poked his head around the corner. He smiled. He was about six foot seven, with a full red beard. He had a beer gut, but he looked pretty strong otherwise. He walked over to Marie and bent over so he was looking her straight in the eye.

“How can I help ya?” he asked in a thick Canadian accent. He smelled strongly of beer. Marie stepped back slightly.

“I was just wondering if you knew somewhere I could stay the night. I’m not from around here.” A grin grew across his face.

“What’s yer name?” he asked. Marie felt uncomfortable. She didn’t want him knowing, she got a strange vibe off of him.

“Rogue” she said, without really thinking about it.
“That’s an odd name.” He remarked.

“It’s...uh...it's southern.”

“It’s cute. Listen, I get off in about twenty minutes. How’s about I take you somewhere you can stay?” Marie stepped back again.

“Where?”

“My place. I have a couch ya can sleep on. Whadja say?” Marie stepped back slightly, shaking her head. It was a generous offer, but she could see in his eyes that he had other plans for her.

“I think I’ll be fine. Thanks though.” She turned to the door.

“Where do ya think yer goin’?” Marie turned slowly towards him.

“I just... I was hoping there would be a motel or something.” He walked around the counter slowly.

“Oh, come on baby” he remarked slyly. “I know what a girl like you needs.” She backed towards the door, and turned the handle.

“I’m sorry mister...”

“You can call me Bear.” He licked his lips. His breathing was growing heavier. He really did remind her of a bear.

“Well...Bear, it was nice to meet you, but I really must be going.” She pushed the door out. Bear took a step closer. Marie noticed that he was sporting an erection now.

“Yer not goin’ anywhere, girly.” He started to walk towards her faster. She opened the door and began to run. And so did he. For such a large man, he could really run. Marie began to slip. The road was covered in a thin layer of ice, and her shoes had no traction. Bear was closing in fast. She was engulfed in fear. She could hear his heavy breathing, and the sound of his heavy feet hitting the ice echoed around the empty, dark street. Marie looked back, and slipped.

She hit the ground hard, and Bear was on top of her in a heartbeat. He pushed her hands to the ground, and sat on her stomach so she couldn’t move. She began to scream, tears running down her face. He leaned in close, his breath stale and warm on her face.

“I like it when they run” he laughed. He licked the side of her face, and she felt a tingle in her bones.

“Please, stop!” she screamed. He ignored her, and pushed his mouth against hers, shoving his tongue deep into her throat. She felt like she would vomit. Then it happened. She felt the pain, the warmth of his life moving into her. He exhaled hard into her, and collapsed. His weight was crushing her, but she felt stronger. She pushed him, and he rolled off. She turned to her stomach, and vomited. Then she began to cry. She looked over at the lifeless body next to her, and shrieked. She didn’t know why, but she screamed uncontrollably, tears running down her face. She got up, kicked him in the stomach, wiped her face, composed herself, and ran towards the gas station.

She opened the door and opened her bag, shoving anything that looked tasty inside. She saw a pen on the counter, and a pad of paper.

She grabbed it and scribbled “Thanks for the food- Rogue” on it. Then she walked out into the street. She saw Bear lying in the distance. His foot was twitching slightly. She had to get out of there. She looked in the other direction and saw one building with some lights on. A sign along the side read `BAR`. She began to run.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Inside the bar was dark, but warm. The sounds of men yelling came from around the corner. She walked towards the sound to see a crowd of men around a cage, with two shirtless men inside fighting. Just to be safe, Marie took off one glove, in case of emergency. She didn`t want to risk that again. She made her way closer to the cage, fascinated with the battle within. There was one man with long brown hair and a tattoo along his back. He looked pretty strong. The other was quite short, with spiked jet black hair and wild mutton chops, and a pair of dog tags around his neck. He was keeled over, being kicked in the stomach. Marie cringed with each kick, watching in horror as blood poured from the man`s mouth. Then all of the sudden he lifted his hand to meet a punch. A clang like the sound of metal filled the room. Marie felt a man rub his body against her back, so she pushed forward, and put her bag on the floor to remove her other glove. She looked back up to see the larger man on the ground, and the short man kicking his stomach.

Over the intercom, the announcer’s voice boomed. “I give you... The Wolverine!” Marie stared up at the man. He looked angry, but not in pain. Not a single bruise. He walked over to the side and pulled out a fat cigar. He lit it, and took a long drag. The smoke circled his head, making it hard to see his face. Marie reached down to find that someone had taken her bag. A feeling of defeat filled her, and as the crowd dispersed she made her way to the bar.

“Can I just have a water?” she asked the bar tender. He gave her a funny look, then poured her a glass. She stared at it for a moment, not really wanting it. The bar tender watched her for a minute, then tended to his other customers. Marie looked back up and noticed the tip jar. She stared at it for awhile longingly. Eventually a hand slid it away from her. She looked up to see the bar tender staring her down. She swallowed.

“Do you want something new?” he asked sternly. “Or are you just stickin’ with water?” She didn’t respond. He picked up the tip jar and walked away, turning on the television on his way. A news report blared out, but nobody really seemed to be watching. She began to watch it. It was a news report about mutant rights, an issue she knew all too well. She became very involved in the report, as a heated debate was going on. Eventually she lost track of time.

Suddenly she heard a sound next to her, and she turned to see that the Wolverine was sitting next to her. He smelled strongly of smoke, and from up close she noticed how hard his face was. He looked about early thirties, but his expression was much older. His eyes looked angry, and they seemed to stare right through her. Then he turned to the bar tender.

“I’ll have a beer.” The bar tender turned and grabbed a bottle off the shelf behind him, opened it, and set it down. He took a swig, then put it down. He looked up at the television and frowned.

“Can someone turn that shit off?” he asked. Marie looked up to see it was a segment on mutant rights. She looked back at him quickly. Could he be a mutant too? A man walked up behind them and tapped the Wolverine on the shoulder.

“You owe me some money.” The man muttered. He was obviously drunk. His friend stepped up behind him.

“Come on Stu” he said softly. Stu brushed him off.
“No one takes a beating like that without a mark to show for it.” He looked angry. Marie sat up straighter in her seat. Stu stared down at the Wolverine, who still hadn’t turned around.

“Come on Stu” his friend repeated.

“I know what you are, freak.” The Wolverine turned slightly.

“You lost your money, keep this up and you’ll lose something else.” Stu turned to go. Marie watched him closely. She had a bad vibe about him. He took a step and turned. Marie noticed something shiny in his hand. A knife. Marie tried to speak, but nothing came out. Stu walked up behind the Wolverine and got ready to stab him.

Finally Marie squeezed out a small “LOOK OUT!” The Wolverine turned his body, saw, and pushed Stu against the wall. Marie watched in horror as three knives slowly came out of the Wolverine’s hands towards Stu’s neck. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the bar tender grab something off the wall. He returned with a gun, and held it to the back of the Wolverine’s head.
“Get out of my bar, freak” he said nervously. The Wolverine looked back at him, then swung his arm. The gun broke into pieces. The bar had grown quiet. He looked at both of them, brought the knives back in, and walked off. Marie sat for a moment, not sure of what to do. Then she noticed Bear walk in.

She followed the Wolverine as quietly as she could through the parking lot. It was still dark, and she was still hungry and tired. He got to a pickup truck with a little camper on the back, and a trailer, and he hopped in. She figured that as a fellow mutant, he would understand, but for now she was too terrified to confront him, so she just hopped in the trailer. She listened as the car started, and began to drive off to God knows where. But anywhere was better than here.
Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned for more! Rate and Comment please!